RaZiM

Bypass or Sleeve? Nuff Said

I am a month out and haven't made up my mind. Any suggestion?

There is no one choice that is right for everyone. Tell us a bit about yourself, do you have comorbidities like diabetes? That can often help inform the decision.

I was diagnosed with LUPUS 10-2010. I have high blood pressure and just seem to be getting fatter and fatter. I have tried every diet known to man. I can't exercise like I used to before LUPUS but still the weight gain is affecting my livelihood, I want to do this surgery and not look back with any regrets. So deciding which surgery will work for me is important. Thanks for responding PapG

Deciding on which surgery is a very personal decision. It comes down to what makes you the most comfortable. I chose sleeve because I wasn't comfortable with the anastamosis with a bypass. Some bypass patients say they aren't comfortable with the sleeve because they can't imagine their stomach being removed. People tend to lose faster at first with the bypass, but studies are showing that sleevers catch up around 2 years down the road. Neither surgery makes the journey easier, neither is a magic bullet. Both take commitment, hard work and dedication.

Good luck on your decision.

I chose bypass because I was diabetic and stood a better chance of putting it in remission with bypass. But it also put the high blood pressure, high cholesterol and kidney problems in remission! I have no regrets! Life is good!

I greatly appreciate the insight and love hearing from people's person experiences.  I take a bit of your experiences with me and it fills me with confidence. Thanks for sharing guys.

I chose bypass because I felt that there would be more of a temptation for me to eat the crap that you aren't supposed to eat. The idea of dumping seemed horrible, and I know if I eat all the sugar, carbs, alcohol, etc that I will get sick (yes...it has happened...BUT, only 2 times since may). HOWEVER, that isn't the right choice (or even logic) for EVERYONE. I know people who have had both and done AMAZING. I also know people who have had both and have done HORRIBLE. The biggest thing to take home is, as has been said before, NEITHER is the "easy way out." I wish you the best of luck! You have found a great site to come to with questions and for support! :)

Both bypass and sleeve will get you to where you want to be, eventually.
Bypass statistically does it faster.
Sleeve works by restriction from physically removing 80% of the stomach, leaving a small sleeve.
Bypass works by restriction from making your stomach into a pouch about the size of an egg AND by malabsorbtion from bypassing a section of intestines and rerouting the rest up to the new pouch.
If you have moderate to severe diabetes now, bypass is the better choice. (doesn't mean you have to, its just that it is better for it)
If you have a lot of issues with acid reflux now, bypass is the better choice. (doesn't mean you have to, its just that it is better for it)
If you don't have any of the above or other health problems other then being obese, Sleeve might be a better choice. 
But it is all subjective and based on your personal wants, needs and feelings.

Sleeve was the only surgery I would consider.

Bypass is reversible and several folks here have found it necessary. I have no idea what you'd do if you had to undo a sleeve.

I am amazed at the progress of all of you and it gets me SOoooo excited. Thanks (TMCGREE,JOLLS, SARAMEDIC). You guys give me so much inspiration and yet more to think about. My wife is against the bypass and wants me to do the Sleeve because she feels its the more natural solution. It doesn't alter Gods intended engine. My argument to her is that God has also given man knowledge to do these miraculous procedures. I just want to choose and not look back and say I wish I went the other way. My future health is important to me for my children and I want to be able to play with them and not to feel bogged down by my weight.

I'm pretty sure cutting out 80% of your stomach (sleeve) is a big alteration. :)

Good luck with your decision.

Do you take steroids or NSAIDs for your lupus?

If you do then the sleeve might be better for you.

In general, (there are exceptions ), NSAIDs are not allowed after bypass but can be taken after the sleeve.

Check with your surgeon to see what his/her rules are for NSAIDs/ steroids after sleeve and after bypass.

Best....

I take 5mg of prednisone a day. I can eliminate it but if I get a flare I would need to start it up again. I will ask doctor in more detail. ty

The sleeve is not an alteration to the natural body, it is removing excess stomach of which one would not have if it was not stretch out due to years of overeating.   It is no different then getting excess skin removed after you lose the weight or a tummy tuck after pregnancy.   The bypass pouch itself is not an alteration either - it is virtually the same thing as the sleeve;  the "unnatural" part comes in removing intestines and re-routing the dissection.  It is not excess intestines - we were given that length by design.  That is messing with "natural order".

BTW I am of the like mind that if God didn't want it done then we wouldn't have the knowledge to do it and therefore I do not believe it is "unnatural".   It is there because people need it.    But felt I needed to clarify the common point of views above.

I'm still on the fences and I will continue hear all the comments in getting. Keep chiming in I love the insight

Hi Razim! I was 269lbs when I started the preop diet phase and on 6 different medications, 3 of them were diabetes medications taken twice a day. I chose to have the sleeve and was highly motivated to utilize my sleeve to the best of my ability. I follow the plan to a T and I excersise ( I missed this when I was heavy). I am down to 200 lbs and continue to lose on a weekly basis, I am off all medication.

Surgery is a personal decision and both sides of the coin could provide great debate as to why you should choose a particular procedure. In the end it is what you are comfortable with. Both surgeries will "help" you to get where you need to be as far as weight and health.

I urge you to continue to keep an open mind and go with what you feel is best for you.

Good luck my friend! Duff

I take 5mg of prednisone a day. I can eliminate it but if I get a flare I would need to start it up again. I will ask doctor in more detail. ty

This is an important point to discuss with your surgeon. Best...

Hey Duffman27

Hope your a Yankee Man like me lol. I see u did the Sleeve and your progress is amazing at only 4 months.....Wow!!!!!

Any Regret?

Would u still choose sleeve over bypass if you could do it all over again?

Also What is your diet like?

Have your taste for trigger foods changed since surgery?

Do you still have cravings?

Soo many questions.

all Please chime in all answers I consider I love the input

Thank You All

Razim....LOL....sorry ....I am a Sox fan......Actually closer to Boston than NYC!

My regret is that I did not do this process sooner, truth be told I had looked into GB about 5 years ago and did a majority of the preop testing and decided I was not ready.

I would choose sleeve over bypass.

Diet - I eat 3 meals a day with either a protein shake or bar as a snack. I do not eat more than 3 oz of protein at this time and just a little veggies to go with it. I eat out with no issues and love my new life.

Trigger foods - I really missed pasta, I bought a veggetti ( sprializer) and made zucchini pasta in olive oil and garlic, it was awsome and fulfilled my craving...and was much better than Pasta! I appreciate food more now, like spice and flavor and look for those features when eating instead of just settling on anything because the clock says it it time to eat.

Cravings - I do not...yet...I am foolish to think I wont. I am motivated to stay healthy, I feel better than I have in years and am medication free. the fear of going back to the way I was is enough to ensure that I will not give in to cravings....

Hope this helps....

I lost over 100 pounds in 9 months.

I love my sleeve and do not regret having it.

Whichever surgery you have it is only a tool and is only as good as the person having the surgery makes it.

It is not a miracle cure. You have to work hard every day to lose.

So please don't start this process thinking you don't have to do anything.

This is hard stuff. You have to develop a whole new relationship with food.

The first thing you can do is stop the soda. Break that habit right away because soda does not fit into your eating plan with either surgery .

Thanks Spunky

I know its not an easy fix but a tool. Its just a great tool that gives people a chance to be successful. I see so many winners after surgery and very few failures. Check you out Mrs Long Island. How do you feel now compared to before? How does your family feel about your weight loss? please give me a little more about you thanks

I'm not interested in a pissing match about which surgery is natural, an alteration, or whatever. My opinion is what it is.

Either surgery requires hard work, dedication and sacrifice.

I feel much more confident since my weight loss.

I have more energy.

I face life with a much better attitude.

My husband loves my new skinny body. He likes that I now wear clothes that flatter my figure rather than hide it.

He wasn't for the surgery in the beginning but he understood that I needed to take control of my health. My decision point was when I became prediabetic and knew that if I didn't lose I would be diabetic. He is supportive and helps me stay on track. He does the food shopping and he buys only what he knows I eat. No treats, snacks, etc.

The surgery is life changing and life saving but you have to want it bad because this is real work ahead of you.

Spend time reading some of the threads to have a better idea of what this journey entails

Wishing you the best as you start this journey....

Razim....LOL....sorry ....I am a Sox fan......Actually closer to Boston than NYC!

and to think, I used to consider you a friend....  hahahaha!!!

In all seriousness ...  I choose the sleeve.  My wife chose the bypass.  It's all a personal choice and what will work for you.  I always had a problem with portion control; she had an issue with food types.  Combined, we've lost 350+ pounds.  Amazing... absolutely, totally amazing.

It's a very personal choice - if I had to do it again, I'd do a sleeve in a heartbeat... but the bypass went great for my wife and the others I know who've had it.

As Spunkycat said, the surgery is just a TOOL... for me, it's just a restrictive tool that stops me from going too far.  But the weight loss, the healthy eating -- that all came from hard work and dedication.

There are no shortcuts, you will HAVE TO CHANGE for success.  You'll have to be conscious of what you eat, at all times.  You have to learn to make good choices.  You have to say 'no' when you want to say yes.  You have to do the hard time but the benefits are SO worth it!

Good luck and keep asking questions - it's a great way to learn about things.

-- we're all here for you!!

Everyone is different and everyone has their own opinions of which is better.  Only you and your doctor can decide which is better for you.

I chose to have by-pass surgery because I felt it was the right thing for me.  I was overweight, miserable, had diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.   I no longer have to take anything for diabetes, I take one pill for cholesterol now, and when I was at the doctors two weeks ago my blood pressure was 112/68.  I am glad I did what I did.  I knew I needed to have the option of going back to eating sweets, etc. 

Before I had my surgery I sat down and made two columns on a piece of paper.  One was for by-pass and one was for sleeve.  I wrote down pros and cons for both.  I took my list to the doctor and showed it to her.  We discussed both and she told me what she recommended for me.  I thought about it and decided she was right and got the by-pass.

Like I said everyone is different and you can read what all of us write but when it comes down to it you and your doctor are the best ones to decide what is best for you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.