farmington

It's Fat Tuesday!

See, we do have our own holiday. LOL. Trying to avoid all the boxes of paczki here at work today. Gotta stay focused and hope they get eaten up by the people who can afford to eat them.

Being of Polish decent Fat Tuesday is always a big deal but I won't be eating my usual 3 or 4 Paczki over the course of the day.  Biggest challenge I'm having is to decide what I will do to mark Lent.  Not really possible to give up food items so I'll have to go the do something extra route.

Edited by PapaG

I never liked them, even when people went down to Poletown to buy the real thing. it was never much of a draw for me other than "free food".i did use to eat them though, even though I didn't like them???? :(

I don't have to worry here there are none to tempt.

I would rather have something I truly enjoy.

What I would give for a real, authentic paczki!! I live in the middle of hillbilly hell and no one here even knows what a paczki is, let alone how to make one.  The only ones available here are at the grocery store in a box with the word paczki printed in big red letters on the side and a pronunciation key so you can try to say it correctly. :(  I did splurge for my Mardi Gras party last week and ordered a real King Cake from Louisiana and it was worth every penny (and calorie). 

This was a big event for me as a child. However until this moment I had forgotten that it is "Fat Tuesday." I am not Polish but I was raised Roman Catholic. This was a the day my mother would always buy those fried delights. I miss the memories!

Edited by Ladykkredone

Mmmm... King Cake. I got the baby last year! Held a party here in VA, masks, throws, taped music, booze for those that drink, but it was kinda lame.

NICE!!! I'd move to NOLA too--no -5 degees, no snow (mostly, though I was there one magical Christmas), fabulous music in every little club every night, AMAZing food... Will have to eat just boiled crawfish, not in etoufee, lol.

Believe it or not, we had a crawfish boil this past weekend at one of the Mardi Gras parades, and instead of eating my usual 5 lbs of crawfish, I ate a small lobster tail and one crawfish tail, and I was done for the day. I drank no alcohol. The most exciting thing that happened at that parade was that the port-a-potty that I was in got hit by my friend's jeep as she was backing out. I felt the earth move under my feet!

What is a paczki? And what does a king cake taste like? Grew up in the Midwest; I'm deprived;(. But I DO like lobster and shrimp;)

paczki- like a doughnut, but deep fried in lard with a ton of filling (fruit flavored) sprinkled with powdered sugar and about the size of a small football.  600 calories and 35 grams of fat.  They were everywhere at work, but I was able to resist, thank goodness.

Being born and raised on the west bank of New Orleans. I am in Texas this week. My kids just don't like catching beads. Great wolf lodge has been fun. Swimming, water slides, and magi quest, I got all my exercise in while on vacation.

What is a paczki? And what does a king cake taste like? Grew up in the Midwest; I'm deprived;(. But I DO like lobster and shrimp;)

The king cake I ordered had cream cheese and praline pecans in it, along with the traditional cinnamon.  I think it tasted a little like heaven and a little like perfection.  The ones the grocery stores here sell just have the cinnamon in them and are usually dry and icky.  This was the first time I had the real deal, straight from Louisiana, and I will never go back to that store bought junk. :P