PhillyDonna

Desperate already at 2.5 weeks post surgery

Hi,

Total newbie here, but I heard about this as a good forum & resource. I am about 2.5 weeks post surgery (full bypass) and I think I've done well with recovery so far: have been getting up & around. But I am SO SICK of the liquid diet! I just want real food! Not a lot, just something that's not baby food (I figured that was closer to real food). I had a SF pudding last week and had my first experience with dumping. Which quite frankly, ticked me off! I could understand having that punishment if I ate something "bad" but that was on the list of 'safe' foods. I just want a piece of sushi!!!

Am I the only one feeling this way? Veterans: any advice?

My other challenges: not getting enough liquids: am reaching maybe 24 oz/day, not counting the 16 oz gf protein smoothies which I am sick of already.

Welcome to the Losers Club and this wonderful journey you have begun.  This really is a great forum.  Please just hang in there and follow your plan.  You will be onto real food before you know it - the time really does fly (my 1 year anniversary is next month).   And yes dumping sucks and you just don't know what will cause it - I had my first dumping experience the second week home with SF pudding too.  You might be like me and even SF stuff can be bad (they may be "sugar alcohol" in it.  Work on getting all of the liquids in but don't stress about it - that will happen for you too.  I was having a real problem with water - I kept throwing it up so we had to be creative (I drank skim milk for a while).

Keep your eye on the prize and take it day by day.  You will have good days and bad days - I will not lie - but the good days so out number the bad ones and before you know it this will just be your way of life - and it will be great.  I've lost close to 90 pounds - weighing 123 lbs and an wearing a size 4-petite (from a 22/24) - I go to boot camp and yoga every week and walk 3 miles every day.  I have never been happier or healthier and you will too and it really will be "before you know it"

We are all here for you

The liquid diet phase is miserable.

Hang tough and stay on your plan. Your baby pouch is still healing and should be pampered during the healing process.

Try to increase your fluids if you can. Flavored waters, herbal teas, crystal light etc.

Change the temperature of the fluid you are drinking. Cold to hot, hot to cold etc.

You will feel better I think if you are better hydrated.

If you are allowed sf Popsicles , try them. they helped me because you can kind of chew them.

You can do this. Stay tough.

Best...

Im confused - you are sick of a liquid diet but you are only getting 24 oz of liquids?

During your prep for doing this didn't they tell you what your diet would be?

Im sorry if someone led you astray but this is the reality of the process. You can either embrace the challenge or make yourself miserable -- the choice is yours

If you dont like the protien drinks you have buy something else. There are tons of varieties available on the internet and in stores. Read the labels carefully and make sure it has whey isolate. Many people go the Wal-Mart route and quite honestly I have never found anything there that I'd drink more than once.

This isnt an "easy" way lose weight but it works!

Hi Donna, congrats on your surgery. I'm definitely not a veteran, I'm almost 4 weeks post op but I understand how you are feeling! I believe you can count your smoothies towards your liquids. Every day is a struggle but I hear it gets better. Good luck! :)

Take a 2 ounce shot glass, set the timer on your phone for every 15 minutes and drink something. Even v8 juice counted in my case. Protein shakes count as do jello.

Hang in there, it gets MUCH better. You've gotta get your fluids in, it's the most important thing right now.

Thanks to everyone for the kindness and support.

WorkInProcess: I think you're kind of quick to make assumptions. I was not lead astray, and I did do all my research and prep but I just was not expecting to be so sick of this so early. If this is your idea of helping, thanks but no thanks.

I read through some other posts and saw where someone mentioned thinned out chili, and another where someone suggested ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese, so I combined the two for a fabulous savory option! I tried a very small portion and super slowly to see how it would sit and I am happy to say it worked well & was very satisfying!

I am committed to making a stronger effort to get the fluids in & will try some of these suggestions. As I find little improvements, it changes my overall attitude and I am sure that in time I will be better. Thanks again for your help & kind words.

I still eat ricotta cheese with marinara sauce a thin layer of shredded mozzarella warmed in the microwave. Satisfies my lasagna cravings. When I was on puréed , I puréed cooked meatballs with marinara sauce, put the mixture in a bowl, covered with shredded mozzarella and then warmed in the nuker. Yum.

Liquid usually means liquid. There is a reason our surgeons give us the plans they do. I was on liquids for 2 weeks post-op. Just liquids. That meant water, tea, broth, skim milk. Protein shakes intermittently because I think they are gross.

Nothing in a blender, nothing thinned out. I think it's a small price to pay for this fantastic tool.

What does your plan say in terms of advancing stages to puréed or soft?

Keep working on your liquids. Not to scare you but you don't want to get dehydrated. Like Cheesehead suggests, use a time to make sure you are drinking enough. 

Thanks to everyone for the kindness and support.

WorkInProcess: I think you're kind of quick to make assumptions. I was not lead astray, and I did do all my research and prep but I just was not expecting to be so sick of this so early. If this is your idea of helping, thanks but no thanks.

I read through some other posts and saw where someone mentioned thinned out chili, and another where someone suggested ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese, so I combined the two for a fabulous savory option! I tried a very small portion and super slowly to see how it would sit and I am happy to say it worked well & was very satisfying!

I am committed to making a stronger effort to get the fluids in & will try some of these suggestions. As I find little improvements, it changes my overall attitude and I am sure that in time I will be better. Thanks again for your help & kind words.

I don't think that WorkInProcess was jumping to assumptions.  You have deviated from your programme and to do that so early out is never advisable.

You trusted your surgeon with your life on that table and he had faith enough in you to follow a programme that has proven successful with his other patients.  

If you are struggling with your diet plan then you should contact your surgeon/NUT.  They are there to help you on your journey and trust me, I know just how difficult the liquid stage is, mine lasted 3 weeks.

The early weeks post-op are an important phase of the WLS process.  Not only are you recovering from major surgery but you are laying down the foundations of following a programme that will not only get you to your goal weight but which will keep you there.

I'm 2 weeks post-op with massive complications/infections, but even I have to say it gets better. I have found that sticking to a rigid schedule and measuring times and volumes (almost like a newborn) is helping me transition.  I live by my iPhone calendar and my measuring cup.  Even if I don't want to 'eat' (drink), I do.  Even if I do want to 'eat', (drink), I don't.  My schedule/diet is my obsession.  I try to avoid places I will see food that I used to crave.  The hardest thing is I still cook for my wife.  I love the food preparation and the cooking process, but it is tortuous not to even have a taste!

Hang in there and look at the long game-you will be fabulous!

Hi. Almost three weeks post RNY and I can totally relate! My diet went from liquids to soft foods at the end of week two, and I felt like I'd been given a new lease on life...lol. My diet now allows for puddings (sf), fat free cottage and ricotta cheeses, fat free yogurt, eggs, tofu, fat free refried beans, canned tuna, baked fish, thinly sliced deli meats that are lean, and lean ground beef, pork, bison or turkey. If I manage my protein in a day, I can add unsweetened applesauce, diced canned peaches or pears, soft cooked veggies, mashed potatoes, and oatmeal. I can also have two caffeinated beverages a day, a teaspoon of sugar per meal, low fat mayo and salad dressings and (thank GOD) ketchup. ;) I'm finding tons of good recipes here and at theworldaccordingtoeggface. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Edited by MistyLyn

I was on full liquids for 2 weeks post op and it was awful! I felt like I was going to starve to death. I called my nut and she advanced me to pureeds/soft foods. Dinner that night was like heaven. Lol. I never plan to eat jello, pudding, broth, or protein shakes again:)

Listen, I put the same post out 2 months ago after my surgery. It's hard!! But somebody posted a reply that was worded nicely, but the jist of it was...suck it up, it is only a tiny fraction in your journey, and it hit home! I am only 2 months and a week out and From surgery and have lost 47 lbs and feel blessed beyond measures!! Down from a size 18 to a 14, and Xl shirts to a large. I can eat like other humans now :)!! But a tiny little portion, and I am in heaven! It's like this surgery is finding the fountain of youth!! So if somebody told you, do you wanna be thin?-then Suffer for about a month...and your dreams will come true (but you follow the rules!) you would say yes!! You are in it!! You are so close, focus on that!!

My main thing that saved me was milk shakes. Skim milk, dry chocolate peanut butter protien, ice a dash of coconut extract and you will have an almond joy shake blend up in a blender and it's awesome!! Look up online how to make many more. They saved me!! You can make thin mints shake with a dash of mint and chocolate soy milk. Maple but goodie with the pb protien and a dash of maple extract. Put some malted powder in it too. It was on the list from my doc office!! So great!!

Hang in there, I know it is so hard, and it feels like just yesterday I was in my recliner ready to cry and feeling so deprived. But not now! You are only a couple months behind me, hang in there, the best is yet to come! I'm discovering it every single day!

Trust and believe you will loom back and wonder where the time went. I truly understand. I was there not long ago. Change up your protien flavors and make half portions. Also have you tried the unjury ckn broth?. It's warm and comforting. Sip sip sip...don't rush..it would t be pretty. we have made a huge investment in our lives so we can sip sip for a bit.. good luck!!

Pop cycles count as liquid too. I was eating 2 or 3 a day post op. ( sugar free of course).

Great post.....i will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow, but at 4 days I was wondering what the heck I was thinking doing this surgery.....it gets so much better every day :)

Stay away from sugar-free puddings. Most of them contain sugar alcohols, which can make you dump big time.

Stay away from sugar-free puddings. Most of them contain sugar alcohols, which can make you dump big time.

I had that happen early on. I found a sugar free Butterscotch pudding and after one spoonful, ugh. I had to throw it out. And I was a month out. Reading labels is very, very important to do until you find a group of foods that are consistent and work well with your program.