trishschaff1

anyone have their RNY completely redone?

I had Gastric Bypass 21 yrs ago. It worked great and I kept they weight off for many years. However 8 yrs ago when I got pregnant with my 3rd child (surprise baby) I had absolutely no restriction and was able to eat anything. Now I'm back up to 329 lbs. and I have surgery scheduled for next Thursday. My doctor is planing on taking the original surgery apart and redoing it. Of course there are many things he won't know for sure until he gets in there, but according to all my pre op test he's pretty confident that he can not only perform the surgery but also do it laperscopically. When I had it done the first time it was common practice to be cut open from belly button to sternum. Also when they did these surgeries before they didn't make the pouches small enough, so many patients ended up with sever chronic gastritis and very commonly ulcers. (I'm looking forward to those problems being resolved.).

I'm curious if anyone has or knows of anyone who has had this done before.

I'm also nervous because, like I said he won't know exactly what he will do until he's in there. And although he is pretty confident about being able to do it laporscopicaly he won't know that either, there could be too much scar tissue. He's a great doctor who has never had any leaks and the only two patients he's cut open before where planed because of hernia's.

Edited by trishschaff1

Hi there. I had RNY originally in 1995 and lost from 353 to 218. Over the years, I gained back to 306 due to overeating which caused rapid emptying of the pouch. I had revision surgery on 12/3/13. My surgeon had to cut me open to repair an incisional hernia along with the revision. He opted to not reduce the size of the pouch and just lengthened the roux limb of the intestinal bypass instead. When he initially did the surgery in 1995, he built in about 50cm of bypass. The same surgeon now does 75 to 80cms as the standard. For the revision, he ended up doing a total bypass of 150cms. It is now 15 months later and I am stable at 195 pounds and my surgeon just did an abdominoplasty on 1/6/15 to remove the extra belly skin. The biggest issue I have had from the revision is making sure to get my blood chemistry balanced. My ferritin was so low that i have to take three iron supplements a day and i finally entered the lowest end of the normal range two months ago. I also have to eat at least 200 grams of protein a day in order to keep my protein levels in the normal range. I feel the best i have ever felt. I now bike all the time and go to the gym six days a week. 

Good luck with the revision. It changed my life for the best.

I can't wait until after my surgery date to be able to report good news like yours.

Thanks. It's nice knowing others have gone through something similar.

Best wishes for you, I believe it is still the best tool out there and happy to see you back on the loser's bench!

Thanks Tom,

Support like this wasn't available 21 years ago.

I think it's going to make a huge difference in my success

So true! The support is awesome! Back in 89, my mother had Gastric Bypass with no education or support. The surgeon didn't even allow the nutritionists to talk to his patients. He felt that his way was best for his patients. So good to have this support and to have received the education I have. I have learned that I control my health now by what I put in my body. I guess it's always been that way but more extreme importance now. Hugs!

I remember being told, by my surgeon, to not drink protein shakes it will "defeat the purpose".

When I started losing my hair at 4 mos post op, NO ONE could tell me why.

So many things have changed since then.

And I'm so glad.

I just had mine redone on December 16, 2014. I was just shy of 4 years post op. I had gotten myself down to 132 from 250 and had regained to 150. My new doc had discovered that my pouch had regrown to the size of a 2nd stomach. So he went in and completely revised it. I never got any education from the first doctor but now that I'm being seen by a military doctor in a military facility, I'm getting all the education I need to make this surgery a success. Also in case you were wondering they did have to do it partially open the second time because of scar tissue. But my cut is only about 4.5 inches long versus the usual 10.....so I can't complain. Now if I could just lose a few more pounds in a little more of a timely manner......

I just had mine redone on December 16, 2014. I was just shy of 4 years post op. I had gotten myself down to 132 from 250 and had regained to 150. My new doc had discovered that my pouch had regrown to the size of a 2nd stomach. So he went in and completely revised it. I never got any education from the first doctor but now that I'm being seen by a military doctor in a military facility, I'm getting all the education I need to make this surgery a success. Also in case you were wondering they did have to do it partially open the second time because of scar tissue. But my cut is only about 4.5 inches long versus the usual 10.....so I can't complain. Now if I could just lose a few more pounds in a little more of a timely manner......

Good luck to you.

I'm a bit nervous about the possibility of it being open, I'm trying not to think to much about it. But it's reassuring to hear that they didn't have to cut you all the way.

Anything else you need to know just ask....

did anyone encounter any insurance denials regarding your revisions? I need a revision done but my insurance denied to cover it now we're submitting an appeal.  Wish me luck!

I did not have any insurance issues. There was 20 years between the two surgeries.  

I had gained almost 200lbs and I could not walk  because of the arthritis in my knees.  

My orthopedic surgeon and GI both recommended the surgery for me. 

I had the surgery 2/19/15 and I've lost 123lbs, I can walk again!!!

Good luck. Keep us posted. 

Hi are any of you still on this post, I'm new and the surgeon I'm seeing just told me I'm a good candidate for revision. Excited but nervous. I had RNY 2/2003, starting weight 297# got down to about 180# but I'm only 5'1". Kept it off for 6-7 years, even had a TT. Slowly the weight came back and topped at 251# . Have been told now I'm borderline diabetic and that scares me more as both my parents were. I have seeing surgeon since October. He started me on phentermine to see where I was at... I'm down almost 25# and he would like to see me in 6 weeks for a final follow up and psych evaluation. Then he would like to take my proximal rny to distal. He would check the pouch when in there but I did have an UGI and it looked ok... Any advice??