motherhen

Laparoscopic Roux En Y Gastric bypass - anyone choking everyday?

Hello! I have been on this site for ages. But I am struggling as if I don't chew properly that I choke regularly. I do try and chew but with three small boys sometimes meals aren't relaxing/mindful experiences. I have a list of foods I know I choke on (like raw carrot, bread...). But have been choking on lettuce today. I have never hit my goal weight but am back on track after a stressful year last year so am losing again. But I am sick of choking. Should I just live on liquids? Should I swap my kids for cats? (just joking... I quite like the kids) Should I just live on oatmeal and cranberries? (my current breakfast). I LOVE food. But I've had enough of feeling this way. Is it really worth it?? One mouthful of delicious food for an hour or so of pain and regurgitation?? (Logic would say no its not. but still I do it)

Any thoughts? Any advice? Please?

Even at 2 years I WILL choke if the food is too dry, or I do not chew well enough.  That is just a fact of my life.  I still do not eat bread, pasta, rice, etc because it does not work for me and is empty carbs.  Raw vegetables are problematic for me as well.

I have to be very mindful when eating with friends of how I chew or I'll end up in the bathroom before we leave the restuarant.

Maybe not everyone has this issue, but its just the way it has always been with me. 

Did you not have a problem with this for a while and it has returned?

motherhen,

Might be worth cutting up all your food into small sizes at you put it on your plate and only taking one piece at a time.  Kind of like we had to do with our kids when they first starting feeding themselves.

That way you might be less likely to put too much into your mouth at a time.  Worth a try anyway.

I have the problem of not being able to swallow those foods.           i have to wash them down.

You may have some scar tissue in your throat from stomach acid or may just need your throat stretched. My husband and his family have genetically small throats and had to have them stretched. It is outpatient and not a huge ordeal. They choked on everything.