scarlet-amelia

problem posts

I've been reading a lot of posts.. here and elsewhere... about people who have ended up having problems months and even years AFTER surgery. Teeth falling out.. anemia.. malnutrition... neuropathy... And, frankly, even with everything I've learned.. these kinds of posts really scare me. I understand that there can be complications. I've known this all along. I have 3 pages of potential complications from my doctors office. I've read them.. I understand them... 

But yet, these posts still mess with my head.  Mainly because I keep thinking that there is a way... that there SHOULD be a way... to prevent these issues. That, I can somehow sidestep these problems. If only I'm a "good girl".. take my vitamins... protect my pouch.. don't drink soda..get my protein in.. get my fluids in..  follow the doctors plans, then there is NO WAY that I will experience these problems. That I won't become a statistic..

But, based on these posts.. other people are following the rules... they are doing what they are supposed to do. They are being "good girls and boys"... doing what they need to, taking care of themselves. and yet still have malnutrition.. anemia.. etc.. etc.. etc... And yes.. this does scare me.

I'm (obviously) a person who doesn't leave much in life to chance. I plan.. I study.. I do. But rarely, if ever, do I take a "leap of faith".. But in truth, WLS is a leap of faith, isn't it??? No matter how many times I run the numbers.. calculate the possabilities, consider the chances, there is still so much of this that is out of my control.

And maybe that's why these posts scare me so much. Whilst reading them, I'm really getting a cold hard view of a potential reality. And that's scary. I don't want that reality. I want the happy ending. I want the guarantee... 

Anyway.. there is no real question here. Just musings...

I've had complications and I took all the vitamins and did the protein and lost the weight -- I dont think you can "guarantee" you aren't going to have problems.  As we speak I have another surgery looming because of a hernia.  Nothing I "did" caused it, its just the way it is.  Life is uncertain.

There are no guarantees about anything.

That doesnt mean you hide in your house because you're afraid to move, you just get on with your life and deal with the problems if and when they appear.

I have had some problems but I do not regret my decision to have gastric bypass surgery.

I remind myself that my chances of having complications due to overweight are a lot higher than having complications from WLS.

Roll with the punches ... I don't think I know anyone who has had this surgery that hasn't had at least one side-effect or complication. I think that I have had an incredibly easy recovery (so far, knock on wood), but I still have side-effects every day. Some, I admit, are self-induced. I did an experiment today and drank regular milk - because I'm lactose intolerant and I wanted to see if it would help constipation. It did. But, I've also been in pain all day from cramping. I've eaten too quickly and hugged the trash can for 20 minutes while drooling into it and wanting to die. I took a bite of a donut and got ill. I'm having hair loss, I have bad constipation (nothing on Greer's level, but it's a problem nonetheless). There is nothing I can do to change some of these things, I just have to roll with the punches and deal with things as they happen.

Totally agree with MJ and my buddy, sleeve. It is what it is. You are taking the appropriate steps to lead a healthier ( hopefully happier life). If other circumstances come up, there is not much you can do about it. Even with all of my stress regarding constipation, and pretty much daily pain due to it, I wouldn't change it for the world. I actually consider myself pretty lucky in the scheme of things.

To be totally frank, I think there is a percentage, albeit small, that is probably a lot of BS. Take it all with a grain of salt and do your best. You will succeed. And if you have bumps, deal with them as they arise.

Everyone who's posted above is correct and wise.

I look at it this way. If I didn't have a WLS there was a chance for comorbidity that could kill me. If I had the surgery there could be complications but in my analysis these were nothing compared to what being obese was doing to me.

You run a risk in everything you do. You cross the road and run the risk of getting run over. You burn a candle at home and run the risk of a fire. You have high blood pressure due to obsesity. You run a risk every time you get behind the wheel. Does this mean you should avoid these things?? Could you die during the operation? Sure, but if you have health issues related to obesity you could die walking up the stairs...

I traded diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, low iron, and kidney problems for WLS. In exchange I got constipation and lower iron (the hematologist says my body does not do a good job of absorbing iron).

We cannot predict what life holds in store for us. That's why this is a journey

:)  Thanks folks... I feel much much better. And you know.. I know all of this.. just sometimes I get scared... because of the unknown... But I'm going to do what I need, and like you said.. roll with the punches. :)