NuttyMoonBride

As I counselor, I NEED COUNSELING...please HELP!

Greetings.   

As a Social Worker who deals with addicts and people with co-occurring disorders, Im well aware of the sign and symptoms of anxiety and depression as well as addiction.  The irony, is that I suffer from depression and food addiction.  I found it difficult to deal with the fact that I counsel patients on how to use relapse prevention tools during high risk situations as well as to remain compliant to their psychotropics.  The truth is, that I do not the same for my emotional well being.  I'm 8 months post op.  I'm 140 lbs.  My Surgeon left it up to me to continue with the weight loss or to start maintaining.   I like what I see, but at the same time I keep relapsing to my old eating habits.  I pretty much drink my calories.  Im addicted to haagen dazz Icecream, with crushed Oreo cookies,  chocolate covered raisins, cinnabons (mini), and anything that is sweet.  I am on Wellbutrin xl 300mg once a day along with Amlodipine-Benazapril 5/10 for my Hypertension. I know I am a functional addict.  I get remorseful after I eat sliders or the wrong foods,and I am mentally relapsing, i do not utilize consequential thinking or play the tape on my mind.   I know im not where I would like to be, but I thank God that Im not where I used to be and I know that I do not want to be there again, but at the rate Im going, I will be back to sqare 1.

I am entertaining the thought of seeking professional help. My nutritionist don't counsel me, like I counsel my patients/clients.  I don't have a therapist.  My PCP prescribes me my wellbutrin.    Please advise,  Any help you can render is greatly appreciated. thanks 

It sounds like getting professional help for yourself such as working with a therapist would be an excellent idea.  Other resources that might be helpful for you to explore are support groups for people who've undergone weight loss surgery (perhaps your surgeon's office can refer you to one) or compulsive overeating/food addictions 12-step groups such as Overeaters Anonymous. Some have a wls focus.

Time and again you'll see here on this forum that this surgery doesn't fix what's in our heads.  So true.  The great thing is we don't have to face our demons alone.

Wishing you all good things.

How many doctors smoke or are overweight? How many spiritual leaders struggle with their faith?

Get thee to a pro! As a social worker do you have a supervisor? You know you can't be your own therapist. As someone who works in a closely related field, I have a supervisor, a peer group, and a counselor. You know how to help others, and you know that you would advise someone in your situation to seek professional advice. Good for you for reaching out here--a wonderful first step.

On the immediately practical side, you might consider Atkins to get the carb cravings under control. Cut out all carbs except for low carb veggies for a week. You'll be amazed!

I got professional help to deal with my food addictions, demons, devils or whatever else you want to call them.

Extremely helpful. Nothing to be ashamed about. We all need help in our lives at some point or another. Maybe even multiple times. Help is good.

Best...

I, as a former therapist and you as a counselor know that the worst therapist and patient relationship is when the same person therapies themself. Go see someone else, a professional, someone you don't know. You need someone that can look at you dispassionately and challenge you.

I, as a former therapist and you as a counselor know that the worst therapist and patient relationship is when the same person therapies themself. Go see someone else, a professional, someone you don't know. You need someone that can look at you dispassionately and challenge you.

This

Get yourself to therapy! I would not trust a counselor who doesn't get help for themselves or thinks they are above therapy.

Physician heal thyself. Echoing what others have said ...

I've been in counseling for a few years, and would not have ever gotten over some humps in my life without it. I am unashamed that I sought professional help for any mental problems, just like I'm not ashamed that I sought medical help for my obesity. Asking for help is one of the hardest things for me to do... admitting that I can't do something or handle something will send me scurrying back to my hole faster than anything. But, like my therapist told me, do one thing a day you are scared to do or don't want to do. Every day. It has been very enlightening, has built my confidence back up and freed me from many of the demons I was a slave to. Anyway, enough about me.

You know what you need to do. It's all done but the doing.

Edited by Sleevarilla

On the reverse side of "Physician heal thyself", that isn't usually how it works. When it gets close to home, it's important to get help from someone on the outside, as the OP is suggesting. Good for you for seeing it! You can do it. Make that appointment. 

I am also in the mental health field. Been in therapy before back in the early 1990's.  Thought I worked it all out.  I went back into therapy at about 1 1/2 years post op.  We can have all the insight in the world, but without action we will continue to be miserable.   Get to therapy.  Also you are going to have to give up the sugar.   From what you said you just have no control  Me either.  I am a food addict and sugar is poison to me.  Go back to basics to detox.  All of my client's have mental health issues and most substance abuse and other medical issues.  Sometimes as I counsel them I feel I am really taking to myself.  Have as such compassion for yourself as you do for them.  

THAN YOU ALL for your words of encouragement.  I am glad and relieved to have posted my feelings.  I was motivated, willing and able to take the steps to emotional healing.  thanks you