ForeverNeurotic

PCOS post-op

Hi ladies! I currently take metformin for my PCOS. Is there anyone out there in the post-op world who took metformin pre-op? If so, how long after surgery did you have to continue it? Did it cause any problems with nausea and diarrhea after surgery?

Thanks in advance!

Candis

Candis, I haven't taken Metformin but hopefully others can jump in and give you their experiences.

But I did a search on the side effects of that drug and this is what I found:  Drugs.com - Metformin

In addition to its needed effects, some unwanted effects may be caused by metformin. In the event that any of these side effects do occur, they may require medical attention.

You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking metformin:

More common

Abdominal or stomach discomfort
cough or hoarseness
decreased appetite
diarrhea
fast or shallow breathing
fever or chills
general feeling of discomfort
lower back or side pain
muscle pain or cramping
painful or difficult urination
sleepiness

Less common

Anxiety
blurred vision
chest discomfort
cold sweats
coma
confusion
cool, pale skin
depression
difficult or labored breathing
dizziness
fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
feeling of warmth
headache
increased hunger
increased sweating
nausea
nervousness
nightmares
redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest
seizures
shakiness
shortness of breath
slurred speech
tightness in the chest
unusual tiredness or weakness
wheezing

Rare

Behavior change similar to being drunk
difficulty with concentrating
drowsiness
lack or loss of strength
restless sleep
unusual sleepiness

I took metformin for 3 months pre op and it was barely tolerable at the time. I was instructed to drop it post op because of the side effects I was having pre op. I don't even want to know what life with metformin post op would have been like.

I've taken metformin for PCOS for years (10 years?)  I was hoping to get off it post op but that hasn't happened yet (I'm 7 months post op, checking my blood regularly)  I had no side effects pre or post op.  I take it with yoghurt (not greek yoghurt, that was too thick for me)  and it goes down just fine.  The two times I forgot and took it with water,  I threw up.  Not forgetting a third time! 

Hi ladies! I currently take metformin for my PCOS. Is there anyone out there in the post-op world who took metformin pre-op? If so, how long after surgery did you have to continue it? Did it cause any problems with nausea and diarrhea after surgery?

I would like to know this as well.. 

I've taken metformin for PCOS for years (10 years?)  I was hoping to get off it post op but that hasn't happened yet (I'm 7 months post op, checking my blood regularly)  I had no side effects pre or post op.  I take it with yoghurt (not greek yoghurt, that was too thick for me)  and it goes down just fine.  The two times I forgot and took it with water,  I threw up.  Not forgetting a third time! 

I was worried about how to get it down! Its so bitter I know there's no way I could crush it to take. Will definitely keep this in mind. Thanks!

My surgeon told me to stop taking mine right after surgery.

My surgeon had me stop taking it the day before surgery.

I was on it preop for about 8 months for my pcos and my surgeon has told me not to take it now that I am post op. Though my mom who had the gastric 8 years ago still takes the metformin for her pcos.

I would like to know this as well..

Hey, i have pcos to. I use to take metformin but gave up on it because it wasn't helping my pcos at all.

I didn't tolerate Met. It was dropping my sugars down in the 20-30s. Now with a super low carb lifestyle I can't even imagine taking Met. At the very least I would hope they would decrease your dose. I would take spironolactone when my cycles weren't coming to shed cysts and get my ovaries moving again.

Now at almost a year out, here are my PCOS symptoms:

All patches of acanthosis nigricans are either gone like on my neck, under my arms and under breasts- or very faint like in my groin where it was the worst.

Skin tags- I constantly had the ones on my neck frozen off but I had two pretty large ones under my breast and they are just gone, three in my left armpit which are shriveled considerably.

I would get cysts along my waist and I haven't had any since surgery.

My skin is no longer oily but I do get occasional cystic acne- nowhere near as severe as before.

Hirstuism wasn't an issue for me before and I had an ablation so I don't cycle, so nothing to report there.

The the moral of the story is although I'm afraid of the PCOS and the insulin resistance monster hijacking me again, I feel like I've made huge strides and can stay on top of IR in the future.

Thank you Clickin! Your post gives me so much hope!! I've already noticed some improvement in my acanthosis nigricans along my neck, still waiting on the underarms to improve but that's where its the worst. I'm had several small cysts in my underarms but they haven't been nearly as large or painful as they used to get. I've cut myself back to just a 1/2 tab of my metformin and only when I have a minimum of 3 meals that day and so far this seems to be okay, my doctor kinda gave me free reign to adjust the metformin according to how I feel so I'll continue to keep a close eye out for hypoglycemia and hope for the best.

Thank you Clickin! Your post gives me so much hope!! I've already noticed some improvement in my acanthosis nigricans along my neck, still waiting on the underarms to improve but that's where its the worst. I'm had several small cysts in my underarms but they haven't been nearly as large or painful as they used to get. I've cut myself back to just a 1/2 tab of my metformin and only when I have a minimum of 3 meals that day and so far this seems to be okay, my doctor kinda gave me free reign to adjust the metformin according to how I feel so I'll continue to keep a close eye out for hypoglycemia and hope for the best.

I am so glad I did this!! Hang in there and it will get better for you too.

PCOS is a mean beast. You know what happened to me? I had a doctor who was working me up for PCOS when I had a miscarriage, well I immediately got pregnant again and didn't cycle in between so while I was pregnant it was put on hold with the plan to work it up after I delivered. Then my husband was transferred and we moved, my new PCP referred me to an OBGYN because he admittedly knew nothing about PCOS and recommended I start drinking raw milk- that's a whole other story though :).

Any how, I go see this OBGYN and tell him about what was going on and what my previous doctor thought. He says to me "PCOS- oh, well that's just a buzzword for fat ladies who don't want to take responsibility for their condition".

I'm glad someone reopened this topic.

I saw my doc just before my surgery, and asked him this very question. We decided that the best thing to do, would be to continue taking it, and he gave me a blood sugar monitor.. If my levels got too low, I was to back off my metformin. Well... 4 weeks after surgery, I am off of it completely.

That being said... I still haven't gotten my period in a while...

Any how, I go see this OBGYN and tell him about what was going on and what my previous doctor thought. He says to me "PCOS- oh, well that's just a buzzword for fat ladies who don't want to take responsibility for their condition".

He would have limped out of that office holding his business if he'd said that to me. He is definitely a total a$$ hat. 

I'm hoping that my PCOS symptoms will improve as I continue to lose weight.  So far, I'm at 70% of excess body weight lost, and still experiencing severe hirsuitism...

I have other symptoms, too, but the hirsuitism is the one that bothers me the most, since I have to shave at least once a day.  I don't intend to have children (actually, I'm having a tubal ligation and hopefully a uterine ablation in a few months), so fertility improvements aren't a concern.  Acne issues have been pretty much what they've always been.  Same with acanthosis nigricans - they're still there, maybe somewhat lighter.

I have PCOS and was taking a low dose of Metformin once daily as a preventative measure. I was able to tolerate the one dose but if I ever took two in a day I would immediately have severe diarrhea. I was/am not diabetic so my surgeon told me to not take it for two weeks before my surgery and to not take it at all after surgery.

Edited to add: I'm really hoping weight loss will help with my PCOS symptoms. In particular, I'm hoping the acanthosis nigricans and insulin resistance are resolved.

Edited by rds