4 weeks post op.... can't stop eating!

I had my sleeve about 4.5 weeks ago.

At first I was struggling but as of this week I find myself to be constantly eating and am noticing that I can more than I thought.

I downloaded a calorie counter app today to track my food and calorie intake.

According to the calorie counter, I had about 1400 calories. Just last week I was taking at most 500 calories. I'm scared that I can eat this much this early. Has anyone been able to eat this much at this stage?

I do admit that I did not make the best choices. I had potato chips. I'm craving salty food and it goes down so smoothly without any pain or discomfort.

I had my sleeve about 4.5 weeks ago.

At first I was struggling but as of this week I find myself to be constantly eating and am noticing that I can more than I thought.

I downloaded a calorie counter app today to track my food and calorie intake.

According to the calorie counter, I had about 1400 calories. Just last week I was taking at most 500 calories. I'm scared that I can eat this much this early. Has anyone been able to eat this much at this stage?

I do admit that I did not make the best choices. I had potato chips. I'm craving salty food and it goes down so smoothly without any pain or discomfort.

I have not shared your experience but I will say that you need to get back on your program or the surgery was for naught. It's up to you and the choices you make to make it work. There is excellent support here, though ultimately it is up to you -- I've heard about too many people (including my wife) who have defeated the purpose of the surgery.

Thank you for your response

I was actually sort of surprised I ate so much. I was grazing all day and all the calories do add up! I am going back and reading all the materials I was given prior to surgery to try to get back on the program.

You have definitely drifted off where you should be at 4.5 weeks out. It is way to early for things like chips and honestly you shouldn't be eating those at all. At 4.5 weeks out you need to be eating with a focus on getting protein on, drinking as many fluids as possible and limiting carbs. How are you doing on fluids, protein and carbs? If you're earing chips I think I know where you sit with carbs.

you need to stop the grazing, it's a real danger we all have to control. You need to get on a structured eating schedule of meals and snacks as necessary. Further you should be drinking when you're not eating. Remember that the sleeve is a tool, it will not stop you from making bad choices, eating the wrong thing and grazing. This is up to you, time to get back on program.

Sara - I've got to tell you, in reading your another of your posts from 10 days ago, you need to contact your surgeon/NUT for help and you have to be upfront with them about what's going on because of right now, you are on a road to disaster.

The early days and weeks post-op are a crucial stage in your WLS journey.  Following your surgeon's food plan will not only help you lose weight but you'll be laying down the foundations for future success by kicking the cruddy food and making health food choices.  AND the chew and spit thing has to stop.  Chewing and spitting is an eating disorder and it can have serious physical and mental consequences.

This is what you could be looking forward to if you continue:

• Mouth Ulcer’s – while your chewing your body is producing acid this in turn produces mouth ulcers & trust me they hurt.
  • Swollen Glands – from the spiting, looking like a chipmunk is not a sexy.
  • Rotting teeth – Depending on what you eat your not only giving your teeth a acid wash but  if you chew sugary foods you are giving your teeth a sugar mouth wash as well. This equates to cavities, cracks and tooth rot.
  • Ulcerated stomach – You may not be ingesting the food but all your sensory’s (see, hear, smell etc) think you are.  You are seeing the food, smelling the food, tasting the food, your body produces stomach acid in preparation for the food.
  • I saved the worst for last INSULIN increase – When you see, smell, taste food it triggers the release of insulin, which is not a good thing.  Insulin raises appetite (more chew and spit), makes weight gain easier,makes losing weight harder and in worst cases cause diabetes.

For others, this was another of Sara's posts.

I had my surgery on the 16th.
I was beyond miserable the first two days. It sort of got better until conspitation kicked in last week. I don't know how else to describe the misery I was in. I cried so much and was thinking to myself if I did the right thing.
I also have to admit that I was not on the diet my doc put me on.
I have been feeling so hungry, I would occasionally put something in my mouth, chew and spit.
I am on pureed stage but it still hurts to swallow to I have to do some water to go down. I know I am suppose to wait 30 minutes but it's too painful.
I am now getting in about 50,-55 ounces of water.. hopefully I'll get to a minimum of 64 very soon.

I have been feeling different symptoms throughout the week from feeling shortness of breath, my arms and feet getting numb and a tingling sensation and occasional chest discomfort and spotted blood when going to bathroom. I am assuming I developed hemorrhoid while constipated.
So overall I feel lousy and hope to feel better soon.
I see my doc next week for my 4 week checkup. Hope all these symptoms I have been feeling is nothing to worry about.
Thank you for letting me share.

Along with contacting your surgeon/NUT for help (and you need to be honest with them), you need to get your surgeon's/NUT's plan out and start planning, weighing/measuring your foods/drinks with calories.

Don't waste the chance that you're been given babe.

I'll give you the truth of it:

You can do what you want.

You won't like the end result, but no one - not even the sleeve - is going to dictate the types of food you put in it.  You have to make the effort to eat properly to lose the weight and keep it off.  Limiting carbs (or avoiding to an extent) - bread, pasta, rice; high fat fried things, sugary fatty desserts, all those slider carbs (chips, pretzals, other such snacks) - is how you are going to achieve this.  There is nothing you can never eat again.  But there are a plethra of things you shouldn't eat ever again.  You have to decide how successful you want to be long term; and that is determined by the eating habits and changes you make now, fresh out of surgery.  If you want to take advantage of your tool, now is the time to do it. 

Your sleeve restriction is there and I assure you you cannot not eat too much OF THE CORRECT THINGS.  Slider foods - like those chips - chew down to nothing and an abhorrent amount will fit in your sleeve vs eating something like meat where you can only fit in a few ounces.  There is a DRASTIC difference in how much you can eat of the "bad" things vs "proper" things.   I'm sorry you learned this so early in your journey - but now is the time to fix it.  You have this knowledge - you now know you can eat TOO much of all the wrong things -  now don't do it.  Your sleeve is only a tool and 90% of this journey is all mental.  Let that sink in and fuel you to get back on track and make the most out of this first year and change your relationship with food for the better.  I cannot stress enough how important this very first year is to changing the habits and building this new you.

Some other things to keep in mind:

You are still healing.  It takes 6-8 weeks for the sleeve to heal internally.   The entire length of your stomach has been cut and stapled back together so you have a loooooooong staple line in there.  You need to stay on plan and allow that to heal.  Your new stomach is also the width of a sharpie marker.

Your full sensations likely will not return until you are back on more solid foods or denser proteins and full sensation on liquids is hard to determine in general.  The nerves that send those signals to the brain were all cut and it takes a while for general healing of your new sleeve and for those connections to reconnect back with the brain.   Also the feeling of "full" you once identified with may not be the same feeling again when it returns.  Some people burp, hiccup, sneeze, get a buldge-feeling in their chest as their new "full".  It will take some time to get used to all (once it is healed and actually working again), but you will get there.

And if you can't properly tell you are full - then it stands to reason you cannot tell you are properly hungry.  Acid is a big con after sleeve and acid can often be mistaken for hunger.  Take your antacids - if they didn't prescribe you any then pick up something like Pepcid or Nexium over the counter.   Thirst is another common thing that can be mistaken for hunger.  For the first few weeks you can fit so little in there and dehydration is a big concern - so often the sleeve is just wanting some fluids, not actual food.  Lastly, the sleeve will also be very vocal - for a long time if not forever (though it does quiet down some eventually).  It will gurgle, growls, squeak, grumble and rumble for absolutely any or no reason at all.  Don't be quick to equate a noisy tummy with "hunger" growls.

In your case you certainly need to drink more fluids -  one it will prevent you from grazing since that is an issue for you.  If your sleeve is full on fluid then it can't possibly be saying it wants food.  Your head says that.  Keep that sleeve full of liquid until it is time to eat.

Quantity kind of follows the week you are on:

0-2 weeks =  0-2 ounces

2-4 weeks = 2-4 ounces

4-6 weeks = 4-6 ounces

6-8 weeks and forever = 6-8 ounces

Measure measure measure all that food.  You eat the proper amount and that is it.  If you can't eat the amount measured in 20-30 min you are done eating regardless of how much is left.  That is how to not graze.  We are given a time limit, stick to the time limit.   I realize you are on pureeds so its likely easy to eat these amounts at this time, this is more for when you are eating "normally" again and the dense protein/meals.

Thank you all for your advise. I really needed to hear (or read) this)

A few things...

1. I am not chewing and spitting. I did that the beginning where nothing was to go down. But thank you for pointing this out.

2. Antacids. That's a great point jolls. I stopped taking my antacid. My doctor instructed me to take for 30 days and am done now. I think this hunger started as soon as I got off the meds.

I will talk to my doc about this

3. Water intake. Am still working on that. Am drinking about 50oz. Am working on increasing to t least 64oz

4. I was also not sleeping well this week. All my kids are sick including my husband so I have been caring for them. I was up again last night as 2 of my babies were running a fever. I think I slept 12 hours in the last 3 days. Prep I know that restlessness and lack of sleep were initiators of my hunger/bringe.

Not an excuse for house I have eaten the past two days and I am truly wanting to heal myself. I do not to fail myself which is why I'm posting.

I an grateful for everyone who responded and I will definitely get myself back on track.

Everything Jolls said is dead on.  To add my two cents, if you're feeling hungry its most likely mental hunger.  I have struggled with that too.  Mental hunger makes me gravitate to bad foods and to grazing on them.  You have to develop strategies to fight that mental hunger.  For me, I recognized that at night when I finally get to relax and watch some TV is when the mental hunger gets the worst and is the hardest to fight.  I have been dealing with this by (1) leaving some extra calories to allow for a snack at night.  (2) I delay the snack as much as possible.  Instead of immediately sitting down to watch tv when I finally get some free time, I take a walk first.  When I get back I make a big glass of water and sit down.  I won't let myself eat a snack until the water is gone. Since you're not supposed to eat right after drinking there is an additional delay.  When I finally let myself snack, I have a greek yogurt or sugar free pudding.....something that seems snacky but isn't bad. Suddenly its time for bed and I haven't eaten stuff I am not supposed to. The whole time I tell myself that it is only mental hunger.

Analyze your situation and try and find a strategy to deal with the mental hunger.  I'm not the therapy type but if you are and have the means, I hear it can be quite useful. 

• 2 months later...

Sara,  I understand your position.  Look, I would really like this site to be for support.  God knows we all need it.  Life is not a SUCCESS ONLY JOURNEY.  

When you lose, don't lose the lesson.

I am terrified of entering the world of real food but damn I want to chew something instead of drink it.  

I don't understand full.  I don't understand mental hunger.  I don't understand what real hunger is.  Tomorrow I am calling a nutrionist who I worked with when I was first diagnosed as a diabetic.  I wasn't really receptive at the time, now I think she can really help me navigate these waters.  

Thanks for your post.  This very easily could have been me and I appreciate your willingness to put yourself out there

2. Antacids. That's a great point jolls. I stopped taking my antacid. My doctor instructed me to take for 30 days and am done now. I think this hunger started as soon as I got off the meds.

Just a note.. My doc told me I had to take the antacid for at least 6 months

• 5 years later...

Yes that's way too many calories at this stage you need to pace yourself, many people will tell you even if you feel hungry you need to fight it...

You need to consume the most nutrient foods you can find starting with high protein.

Sliders and high carb food will just make your Hunger worse.

3 hours ago, Casper666 said:

Yes that's way too many calories at this stage you need to pace yourself, many people will tell you even if you feel hungry you need to fight it...

You need to consume the most nutrient foods you can find starting with high protein.

Sliders and high carb food will just make your Hunger worse.

This thread is over 5 years old!