Depression has a lot of calories !

I always struggle this time of year with depression. It's affected my life since '91, when I was first diagnosed, gets better, gets worse .... right now I'm in one of my "worse" phases. It takes a lot more effort to do anything, and I crave carbs when it's bad. I wanted to out myself, instead of dropping off the board, and let everyone know how important your stories and success are to me. When I get bummed reading stories of people struggling and winning with some of my same problems keeps me going, so thanks, and say hi now and then, it means a lot.

Thanks !

I just wanted to pop in and say your stats are AMAZING!!!

And, try to stay away from the carbs... they are the worst thing for depression as they throw your insulin off, which in turn screws up brain chemicals. trade the carbs for a walk..

Sending you hugs! and again.. your weight loss is really stunning...

I get it.  I have both major depressive disorder and seasonal affective disorder.  Winter is tough!

I am bipolar.  I deal with depression a lot more than I do mania.  I understand where you are at.  When those carb cravings kick in, drink some decaf coffee or decaf tea.  I find that a warm beverage is soothing.

I hope that the fogs lifts soon.  We are here for you.

I know exactly what you mean. I have suffered with depression for years. I also have co-dependency issues which is why I have made sure to have a boyfriend since I was 18. My husband has been out of the country since July 2nd and I was doing ok until my birthday in October and then the holidays. I also have a crab addiction that is triggered by depression. These last few month have been hard but like you the support and stories I find here help keep me from drowning.

You are very brave to share, thank you. This will pass, focus on what you need to do and things will clear up.

Thanks everyone! Thank you Scarlet, that was very kind of you to say that! I think it must be related to my depression, but I think I have another issue too - body dysmorphia? I mean, I actually have lost a lot of weight - I have an implanted medical device in my abdomen, and before surgery, you couldn't even tell - but now it looks like a flesh covered hockey puck - the nurses who refill it love it - before they had to guess where the port was, and stick me a bunch of times - now, it's like - zip! It's in! 

But I still do not feel great about my body. (It was a picker up to fit into xl size pants instead of 3xxx!) I wish I had pre surgery pics to compare, but I was so self conscious of being so heavy I had not had a picture taken of me for like 5 years - I didn't like mirrors very much either. I think I probably need to talk to someone about that. 

But thank you for all of your support - I'm SO glad I found this website! The 6 months before my surgery, my Dr's office's staff did a great job with support, and keeping me on track. After surgery though? I actually have not spoken to anyone in the office since I was given the all clear final post op visit. I do know the patients formed a support group, but until - well, actually, this week, I had a scheduling conflict, and couldn't go. I'm going to the next one - hopefully they'll be 1/2 as cool as all of you, if they are, I'll be fine ;-)

But I just wanted to say thank you - very much - it means a lot - to get the response I did from my post.

Thanks everyone! (And yes, carbs mess with your head!)

Glad you are hanging in there! I found that it helps your mind adjust to the new you, by really looking at yourself in a mirror everyday. I stand naked in my bathroom at some point every day and just look at the changes, I also make a point of doing the same with my clothes on several times a day. It has helped me mentally catch up. I used to avoid mirrors and plate glass windows!

I am a Maryland raised girl. Lived for a year in Gaithersburg as a toddler, my Dad worked for IBM, but we eventually moved to Annapolis where my Dad grew up and he did the big commute each day. In the 60's & 70's it was pretty easy, but by the time he retired in 1986 the commute was horrible. Jen

I have an old friend who gets relief from SAD via St. John's Wort. It's worth a try. Another friend hangs out under the bright lights in the supermarket.

Me? I take drugs for it (sertraline), having tried those other remedies.

Joe, I am glad you posted instead of checking out.  There are many people who have posted on this site who have struggled with depression, You have already and I am sure you will continue to receive some good advice.  I think your stats look great and it is pretty normal to have a hard time seeing your weight loss as early out as you are.  I still sometimes feel surprised when I pass a store window and get a glimpse of myself.  As time progresses, you will get used to the new you.  If you haven't already... get rid of the clothes that are too big for you and start building a wardrobe that fits.  Wearing only clothes that actually fit you will help you get used to the idea of being thinner.

I am also a Marylander.  In fact, I work in Montgomery County, about 30 mins from Gaithersburg (accept during rush hour).  

I think, maybe it's time to take a lot of photos. Really look at them, and post them on your mirrors all over the place. Photos are ALWAYS more realistic than a good look in the mirror, because it shows the way you look through another person's eyes. You need to retrain your brain to see yourself as you actually were... So.. have someone you love take some snapshots...