It seems i have alot of back pain lately.is this due to me losing alot of gut weight and standing straight

Could be. As you lose weight, your balance adjusts, this can cause muscular issues because your body is used to holding itself in a certain way. A massage or chiropractor visit might help adjust and loosen things up.

Could be. As you lose weight, your balance adjusts, this can cause muscular issues because your body is used to holding itself in a certain way. A massage or chiropractor visit might help adjust and loosen things up.

What she said.

I actually had a lot of back pain prior to surgery because of all the weight my stomach causes from hanging there.  My back pain diminished quite fast not long after surgery and the pounds started leaving.   But it is very true our posture and the way we carry ourselves is much different after losing a significant amount of weight.  Oddly enough my shoulders really bother me when I go for long walks even though I'm fairly confident I'm not slouching -  likely still carry myself the "old" way and they are not pleased with this.

What she said.

I actually had a lot of back pain prior to surgery because of all the weight my stomach causes from hanging there.  My back pain diminished quite fast not long after surgery and the pounds started leaving.   But it is very true our posture and the way we carry ourselves is much different after losing a significant amount of weight.  Oddly enough my shoulders really bother me when I go for long walks even though I'm fairly confident I'm not slouching -  likely still carry myself the "old" way and they are not pleased with this.

All of the above, you body will need to adjust.

I have a lot of back pain - focused more on the upper left side.  At first it was from the gas from the laparoscopic surgery, but now I think it's because I have been sitting and sleeping differently to not irritate my stomach incisions and using other muscles to compensate.  I look forward to the day I can lie on my stomach and get a massage again!  Plus I am back at work typing away and this chair is not comfortable.  I hear heating pads will help though.  Hope yours gets better soon!

I still have lousy posture, and lots of back pain. The area between the shoulder blades gets really sore as well as lower back. Working on it!

Wow it is funny how different subjects come up at the right time.  I have had shoulder and back pain all week and did not know where it was coming from.  I have been taking tylenol everyday.   I have been working on my posture and doing wall pushups and squats.  Hopefully as I build more muscle the pain will go away.

I am not able to do excersizes yet. I going to a chiropractor and that is helping

I'm bumping this topic up as I have been having back discomfort since about last November and saw a physical therapist today. Turns out I likely have been having issues for years from sitting at a desk for long periods of time, but the fat was supporting my back. Now that it is mostly gone my spine is not supported by fat or muscle yet. Also I started jogging in October so tha may have fed into the start of the aggravation. I have to put a pillow behind me to support the lumbar region whenever I sit or drive for an hour or more to be comfortable.

Bottom line I have a slew of exercises to do twice a day to stretch my back, neck, and hips which hopefully will help with the disvomfort and increase my range of movement. I didn't even know I couldn't turn my head as far as I should be able to until today. I have to stop jogging for now and do things that are low impact until I gain flexibility and muscle.

Anyone else gone through something like this and how long before you noticed improvement?

Thanks

Robin

I'm 2 weeks Post-op and I have this lingering cramp in the middle of my back that I assume is coming from the shift in my body as well. It's driving me crazy but I think it might be getting a little better. It seems to only happen when I am standing and it is pretty persistent. Small price to pay I guess...

NCTRNL (Nocturnal?), your age doesn't show on your stats, and I'm not great at judging from pictures. A couple of years ago when I lost 40 pounds, I developed excruciating lower back pain. After staying up most of one night crying from the pain, I sought emergency treatment as soon as the local urgent orthopedic care center opened. MRI showed normal age-related disc degeneration. It's painful as all get-out, but it does run it's course, and then you're okay again.

Complete coincidence that it happened when I lost weight, but it completely derailed that weight loss effort. Hopefully yours is just the shifting of your center of gravity. Normal as disc degeneration may be, I don't wish that type of lower back pain on anybody. I'd it is more than shifting around, get some good pain meds and muscle relaxants and hang in there. It will pass.

NCTRNL (Nocturnal?), your age doesn't show on your stats, and I'm not great at judging from pictures. A couple of years ago when I lost 40 pounds, I developed excruciating lower back pain. After staying up most of one night crying from the pain, I sought emergency treatment as soon as the local urgent orthopedic care center opened. MRI showed normal age-related disc degeneration. It's painful as all get-out, but it does run it's course, and then you're okay again.

Complete coincidence that it happened when I lost weight, but it completely derailed that weight loss effort. Hopefully yours is just the shifting of your center of gravity. Normal as disc degeneration may be, I don't wish that type of lower back pain on anybody. I'd it is more than shifting around, get some good pain meds and muscle relaxants and hang in there. It will pass.

I'm 36 and the pain really feels like muscle cramps. It doesn't seem to feel like it's in the actual bone structure. I've had lower back spasms before which are not great but I would expect that they are nothing close to degenerative pain. Hopefully the weight is coming off early enough that I won't have too many issues with back pain going forward. 

Edited by NCTRNL

I'm 36 and the pain really feels like muscle cramps. It doesn't seem to feel like it's in the actual bone structure. I've had lower back spasms before which are not great but I would expect that they are nothing close to degenerative pain. Hopefully the weight is coming off early enough that I won't have too many issues with back pain going forward. 

I have degenerative disc disease that was diagnosed when I starting getting spasms that I describe as a squeezing pain that radiates and pulsates.