5mo post op/preg

MickeyMom

I'm calling my surgeon and my OB tomorrow so I can get on the ball and do what needs to be done... I'll keep track of the whole experience here in hopes that it'll help someone else in the future.

Aww congrats!!! So scary though. I want another baby so bad but I figured I would wait until all my weight is gone. I wish you the best of luck and PLEASE keep us updated. I want to know how it goes. Congrats again!!!

That's exciting, but it will likely be a bit scary, too. There are so many things to remember for yourself at this stage of the honeymoon phase already, but I'm sure you will do fine and your team will work closely with you to make sure everything goes well. You will do great and in nine months, I can't wait to see your new little bundle!  :)

I left a message with my surgeon's office first thing this morning but haven't gotten a call back yet. Frustrating.

Went this afternoon for a blood test to determine approximately how far along I am, per my OB's request.

Stopped at the store and bought prenatals on my way back to work. Google informed me that not having enough folic acid is a bad thing when pregnant so I'll be popping two a day from now on til someone tells me otherwise.

Getting there :) I will be more excited when I get an ultrasound to confirm that things are going well. I'm paranoid that I'm not giving the little blueberry enough nutrients.

Wow! Congrats lady! I was actually talking to my wife about how pregnancy and post op bodies work the other night. I'm sure everything will be fine. It will probably just mean a little more diligence in planning to get the right combination of nutrients into your body.

I'm trying! I wanna eat an entire head of kale right about now lol. Instead I had some steak around 4, and a piece of fish with broccoli just now. Kind of two dinners, but gotta get my protein in!

Just got off the phone with the surgeon's office (talked to the PA, love her.) She said everything should be fine. She doesn't want me taking the bariatric vitamins right now, just a prenatal. I'll likely just need more frequent blood work to make sure I'm not getting deficient in anything, iron specifically. She said it's okay if I continue to lose weight, and that no matter what any OBGYN says I don't need to gain anything for the baby to be healthy.

My OB's office is making me an appt with Yale maternal/fetal medicine just to establish a baseline for my current health/nutrition status. Mostly because of my bypass but also because my first baby came out two months early/premature, so they want to keep an eye on things because of that.

All in all, feeling much more comfortable with the situation. I'm about 5 weeks along, hopefully 35 more weeks to go! (Please cross your fingers for a full-term baby. Having my tiny son in the NICU for weeks after his birth was awful!)

I hate myself at the moment. All I wanna do is graze. I've reached 850 cal for the day already. I'm not HUNGRY I just want to eat. The heck, man. Not cool.

Just gonna make myself a hot cup of tea and try to forget about food. :-/

Edited by MickeyMom

My hCG levels are rising at an acceptable rate and I'm sure feeling pregnant. Crying at nonsense, irritable, tired, hungry, I can smell everything, I'm nauseous... Sigh. It's all coming back to me now lol.

Not too proud of how I ate today but I'm cutting myself some slack. I'm still under my calorie goal but I could have made some better choices.

I have an ultrasound scheduled for 1/26. Crossing my fingers that they tell me everything is going smoothly.

My OB's office is making me an appt with Yale maternal/fetal medicine just to establish a baseline for my current health/nutrition status. Mostly because of my bypass but also because my first baby came out two months early/premature, so they want to keep an eye on things because of that.

All in all, feeling much more comfortable with the situation. I'm about 5 weeks along, hopefully 35 more weeks to go! (Please cross your fingers for a full-term baby. Having my tiny son in the NICU for weeks after his birth was awful!)

If it makes you feel any better. My first son was born at 33 weeks. My second was born at 39.5 weeks. My OB watched me like a hawk the second pregnancy because of my first son being premature. Your emotional state will be horrible the closer you get the point where your first was born prematurely because of the stress. My OB finally figured out I had PTSD when I was pregnant because of the first pregnancy but as soon as I got past week 33 everything got easier. You and your baby will be fine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anxiously awaiting your update from your visit today.

As far as gaining weight is concerned, I only gained 4 (four) lbs with my daughter. I was so concerned that I wasn't gaining weight. I weighed about 220 at the time. I talked to my doctor about it, and she assured me that my daughter would be fine. "After all," she said, "you didn't come in here with a deficit." LOL. She was so right.

Ultrasound on Monday went very well. My little sister came with me, it was her first time seeing an ultrasound. She is very excited. The first thing I asked the lady was: there's only one in there right?! Lol.

Yes, there's only one, I'm measuring around 7 weeks, and we got to see the heart beat.

After the appointment we dressed my son up in his "big brother" t shirt that I got him last week, stuck an ultrasound picture in an envelope for him to hold, and brought him to my parents' house. My mom opened the envelope and flipped, my grandma just about collapsed, and my dad hopped on the phone and told his parents. It went over better than I expected lol.

Ultrasound on Monday went very well. My little sister came with me, it was her first time seeing an ultrasound. She is very excited. The first thing I asked the lady was: there's only one in there right?! Lol.

Yes, there's only one, I'm measuring around 7 weeks, and we got to see the heart beat.

After the appointment we dressed my son up in his "big brother" t shirt that I got him last week, stuck an ultrasound picture in an envelope for him to hold, and brought him to my parents' house. My mom opened the envelope and flipped, my grandma just about collapsed, and my dad hopped on the phone and told his parents. It went over better than I expected lol.

How are you feeling, MM?

How are you feeling, MM?

I alternate between extremely nauseous and ravenously hungry. It's exhausting lol. The cravings are mind-blowing, way more intense than the head hunger I experienced after surgery. I just HAVE to have some things. From healthier things like grapes and blueberries and cheese, to not so healthy things like chinese takeout chicken and broccoli (that was dinner tonight.)

I also find myself eating ritz crackers when the nausea gets unbearable; they're one of the few things that help calm my stomach down, and I don't even feel guilty about it anymore. I just have to get through another month of this godforsaken nausea and I'll be in the clear. Can't wait...

Sorry about the nausea. As you said, it will pass.

Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you.

Best..

I just remembered how horrible my heartburn was last time I was pregnant. Thanking my lucky stars that it's been cured by the bypass. Not sure I would have an esophagus left by now!

Had an appointment with my surgeon and with my OB yesterday. They were all very helpful and supportive and seemed very "on top of things." It was very reassuring.

My surgeon told me he still wants to see me under 200lbs, pregnancy be darned. So I'm not going to let this stop me from following the plan as soon as I get over my nausea and aversion to protein lol. Just going through the meat section of the store the other day had me running and holding my stomach praying I wouldn't throw up. And forget about cooking...not happening right now! My favorite past time now has me green in the gills at the mere thought.

In other news... My weight loss has slowed big time, but I'm still 4lbs down from when I found out, so I'm not too worried. Plus I'm still over 100 down in 6 months (even though this last month I've barely lost anything) so my surgeon is happy.

I have an ultrasound scheduled in 2 weeks, and a blood test next week. I guess they came out with this new test that can tell if the baby will have any genetic issues just from taking my blood-- no amnio or anything necessary. It also tells you the baby's sex, which is amazing considering I'll be 11 weeks when they tell me the results instead of 20! I thought I was gonna have to wait much longer. Everyone cross your fingers for a boy please!

I had the blood test for the genetic defects with both of my boys but they didn't say anything about the blood test telling the sex. That sounds interesting. I wonder how accurate that is. I feel your pain with the protein aversion. When I was prego with my second I could not be around meat for about 4 months because the smell made me vomit. It gets better. 

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so excited for you! Despite the nutritional requirements, etc. you are going to be so much better off than you were at 300+lbs. Imagine the difference! :)

My fiance and I are getting married this summer 3 days after my 1 yr surgiversary. I am so excited for you! It gives me hope to hear women are getting pregnant after WLS. I am so worried it will be hard for me. Thank you for sharing your story! I can't wait to follow along on your journey here!