Iluvmyduckie

Choosing the right protein shake....

I am pre-op and looking into foods and shakes, I found one by carnation called : Breakfast Essentials and it tastes really good but it's 130 calories and has 19g of sugar. How will I know how much is okay? I wanna get into the habit before so I am used to it. Also I mix it with Vanilla Almond milk....it's about 90 calories per cup. Any help would be awesome thank you in advanced!

If you are going to do Carnation Instant Breakfast (CIB) then you need to get the sugar free version -  its a light blue box instead of the yellow.

My program recommended CIB, 5 shakes a day when you were on the liquid phase (2 week pre op and 2 weeks post op) but you had to add and additional scoop of whey protein powder for the day because CIB does not have a lot of protein.  So I would make all 5 shakes in a blender at once and add the extra scoop of protein powder.  I think if you did it per shake it would be like 1 or 1.5 tablespoons extra protein powder you would add in.

There are other powders better then CIB though.  Walmart, Target all carry stuff.  If you have GNC or Vitamin Shoppes there are tons there.  The most popular brand for powder is probably Syntrax and for premade shakes Premier (bought at Costco and Sams).

You can order 1 scoop samples from Nashua Nutrition, literally 100s of different flavor/brand combinations to choose from.  Its not recommended to stock up majorly before surgery though as a lot of people find their tastes change.  Some that loved a particular shake prior to surgery, couldn't stand it after.  Me - nothing changed.....  I still like everything I once did.

I'd actually recommend mixing it with Soy milk because it has better protein.   Prior to surgery and maybe a few months down the road after surgery can switch back to Almond for the lower cal.    This is just a suggestion, especially if you struggle after surgery to get shakes down the additional protein from the soy will help.  (and you won't know if you'll have issues till after surgery)

Edited by Jolls

They gave me Carnation in the hospital. I got Unjury sample packets from the dietician and Syntrax samples from Vitamin Shoppe. 

You can also search here, plenty of threads about protein drinks, powders, etc.

My program said to keep the sugar under 5 grams per serving and the protein at 8+ grams.

Edited by tmcgee

That is a lot of sugar! Most whey protein isolate is less than 5g, most 0

Great picture, MJ!

Sorry for the thread jack...

The only good thing about Carnation Instant Breakfast is that they taste pretty reasonable but with only 4g of protein per serving, it hardly earns it's place in our diet.

Having said that, making it with milk will add another 8g or so of protein and that's also a good base for adding a scoop (or half) of another protein powder.

I used GNC Total lean pre op for my liquid diet, but the only thing I have been able to tolerate post op has been premier protein shakes.

Premier Protein gives you 30 grams of protein and only 160 calories and 5 carbs....my surgeon said it was am excellent protein to calorie ratio.

I like the Unjury Protein Powder (Vanilla and Chicken flavored) and Vitamin Shop BodyTech Whey Protein (Rich Chocolate)

Preop I used GNC Lean and PureProtein. When I got home post op they were too thick. I had ordered a sample pack from Unjury and they are much thinner. I mix with almond milk.

I have to second what Jolls said about Nashua Nutrition, they are fantastic to work with and being able to get sample packets of each flavor is so helpful with these shakes. I may be biased as well since the physical store is less then 1 mile from my house :-) They are always so friendly and helpful as well!!

I generally don't say much about Premier Protein, because so many people like it. But, I would recommend steering clear of it. Yes, it's cheap. Yes, it looks good. But it's made of casein protein, not whey. Therefore, while it says 30g of protein, your body will actually be able to use about 1/3 of it. It looks nice, makes your macros look great, but it's smoke and mirrors. Casein is meant for slow absorption. Especially for gastric bypass patients, so much of their intestinal tract is bypassed, that most of the casein protein is flushed before the body has time to use it. Just food for thought.

Edited by Sleevarilla

Personally I love the syntrax nectars  especially the twisted cherry and the fuzzy navel. the cappuccino is my favorite of the sweets ( non fruit flavors) I like to mix a scoop and a half with 5 oz of milk for the cappuccino and water with the fuzzy navel so I get between 35 and 40 grams of protein in 5 ounces of liquid.

If you like I do video taste tests of many protein shakes flavors etc on my blog. But heed the advice here many good people here I see.

I am pre-op and looking into foods and shakes, I found one by carnation called : Breakfast Essentials and it tastes really good but it's 130 calories and has 19g of sugar. How will I know how much is okay? I wanna get into the habit before so I am used to it. Also I mix it with Vanilla Almond milk....it's about 90 calories per cup. Any help would be awesome thank you in advanced!

Were on the same boat. My surgery is in march and ive about a month to get my body adjusted. I just ordered some samples from netrition.com of syntrax nectar, syntrax matrix & isopure low carb. With my Dietician: I've to choose a protein supplement that has 15-20 minimum grams of protein & no more than 5gr of sugar & 5gr of fat per serving (btw, im getting the sleeve)

Some Powder form that was on my bariatric approved list that I can remember was:

-Syntrax Micellar Crème

-Syntrax Matrix

-Syntrax Nectar (very popular)

-Unjury

-Nature's Best Isopure Low Carb

-Isoflex

-Met RX Whey

-Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey or 100% Instant Egg

-Premier (Costco) not powder

-GNC Pro Performance

-EAS Myoplex Lite Powder

*oh & one that she highly recommend looking into was Gene Pro. Supposedly only 1tbs is about 30gr of protein.

Those are ones that I can remember off the top of my head.

Edited by KittyKatt

If you are going to do Carnation Instant Breakfast (CIB) then you need to get the sugar free version - its a light blue box instead of the yellow.

My program recommended CIB, 5 shakes a day when you were on the liquid phase (2 week pre op and 2 weeks post op) but you had to add and additional scoop of whey protein powder for the day because CIB does not have a lot of protein. So I would make all 5 shakes in a blender at once and add the extra scoop of protein powder. I think if you did it per shake it would be like 1 or 1.5 tablespoons extra protein powder you would add in.

There are other powders better then CIB though. Walmart, Target all carry stuff. If you have GNC or Vitamin Shoppes there are tons there. The most popular brand for powder is probably Syntrax and for premade shakes Premier (bought at Costco and Sams).

You can order 1 scoop samples from Nashua Nutrition, literally 100s of different flavor/brand combinations to choose from. Its not recommended to stock up majorly before surgery though as a lot of people find their tastes change. Some that loved a particular shake prior to surgery, couldn't stand it after. Me - nothing changed..... I still like everything I once did.

I'd actually recommend mixing it with Soy milk because it has better protein. Prior to surgery and maybe a few months down the road after surgery can switch back to Almond for the lower cal. This is just a suggestion, especially if you struggle after surgery to get shakes down the additional protein from the soy will help. (and you won't know if you'll have issues till after surgery)

All of ur advice has really helped me these past few weeks. Im literally stocking u now lol. Thanks :)

Edited by KittyKatt

A word about Genepro ... read the label carefully. There is an asterisk beside their claim of 30g of protein in a tablespoon. Their claim is that genepro is absorbed more quickly and thoroughly, so they can say 30g of protein when compared to other proteins they claim aren't absorbed as quickly. Personally, I have a bag of genepro and like a lot of things about it. However, do keep in mind that you may not be getting a full 30g of protein/tablespoon.

Edited by Sleevarilla

My program recommended 3 8 oz skim milk a day with 1/3 cup dry milk added. (Plus sf flavoring) I have added CIB (sf) for the flavoring but am finding I can only drink 2 a day. Plus I worry about all the extra carbs. Most of the time the 2nd drink is only CIB + skim milk (CIB is good in a steamer at the coffee shop).

For extra protein I have Protein O2, yogurt, soups/broths and sf pudding.

Maybe I will try unflavored whey powder in the 2nd shake. Hopefully eventually I won't feel so full and can do a 3rd milk.

I recently started using Isa Lean Shakes.  A non-bariatric friend turned me on to them, and they are in my opinion the better tasting of the whey shakes and have all natural ingredients.  Each shake is 24 grams of protein,Bars are 18grams.  I have a shake at Bfast and bar for lunch and eat reg dinner.  I'm 3 months post sleeve surgery and wasn't getting enough protein.  

If you want to see more here's a link

I recently started using Isa Lean Shakes.  A non-bariatric friend turned me on to them, and they are in my opinion the better tasting of the whey shakes and have all natural ingredients.  Each shake is 24 grams of protein,Bars are 18grams.  I have a shake at Bfast and bar for lunch and eat reg dinner.  I'm 3 months post sleeve surgery and wasn't getting enough protein.  

If you want to see more here's a link

I couldn't find a carb amount ?

How many carbs in the shake?

Thanks