paitynsmama

Just needing support

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and looking forward to being able to have people to communicate with.  Google has been my bff since my surgery since I don't really have anyone to talk to. I am 2 weeks post-op and I feel like I am doing pretty good, but there are so many questions that come up. I am tolerating food and I am down 24 pounds in 2 weeks which is amazing, however, I feel like I am obsessing over the scale now. Does anyone else have this problem?

Edited by paitynsmama

I did Curves for a few years and the mantra there is "Inches before pounds". As a result I only get on a scale once a day! That is a hot topic on this site. You are not alone.

How long did you have to stay on liquids? I start my pre-op full liquids on 12/16 for a12/30 sleeve. Glad to hear you are doing well! Any advice?

I luckily only had to do full liquids for 5 days before my surgery. I had counted my surgery date as a day so I only ended up doing 4 days lol...oops. I had a very hard time with it so I did things to make it a little easier...like adding a bit of chicken breast to my chicken broth. I had read a lot on the internet that some surgeons won't do the surgery if your liver is too big so I felt really guilty about the small things I did eat. I made sure that 2 days before the surgery I had absolutely nothing and my Dr. said that my liver would not have been an issue because of my size. Good luck with everything - get lots of sugar free popsicles...they will save your life before and after surgery :)

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and looking forward to being able to have people to communicate with.  Google has been my bff since my surgery since I don't really have anyone to talk to. I am 2 weeks post-op and I feel like I am doing pretty good, but there are so many questions that come up. I am tolerating food and I am down 24 pounds in 2 weeks which is amazing, however, I feel like I am obsessing over the scale now. Does anyone else have this problem?

Immediately post op a lot of people obsess about the scale.

My advice is early on weigh only once a week or you will drive yourself nuts.

If you follow your program, you will lose.

Best...

Wecome to TT and congrats on your surgery! Sounds like you are doing great! Definitely stay away from the scale if it starts to affect your mood:)

Don't obsess about the scale. Best advise I can give is to only weigh yourself once a week at most.

I think the first month, or two I weighed in every morning. I now weigh myself on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. 

Immediately postop I was obsessive about weighing myself. I cut that back to 2x week.

Now that I am below goal, I weigh everyday to make sure I am staying the same.

Having run both support groups and nutrition seminars, I will tell you what I tell everyone... Take the scale and lock it in the trunk if your car! Immediately! It's much more important to track inches. Weigh weekly. Nothing more, and measure daily. You'll be happily surprised, and much less obsessive. It's truly the most emotionally healthy way to deal with weight loss post-op. Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your ideas. It is really affecting me because it was 2 lbs a day for the first 11 days and now it hasn't moved? Is this normal? It's also that time of the month? Should that keep me from losing weight this week? I am already discouraged because it doesn't seem like I have lost anything the last week :(

It's completely normal.   We all suffer from no loss (and sometimes a gain) during our cycle, and you will naturally go through stalls during which you will fluctuate between a few pounds.   As everyone said, cut back on how often you weight so as not to be so discouraged.   Stick with your program and the weight will come off. 

Thank you everyone for your ideas. It is really affecting me because it was 2 lbs a day for the first 11 days and now it hasn't moved? Is this normal? It's also that time of the month? Should that keep me from losing weight this week? I am already discouraged because it doesn't seem like I have lost anything the last week :(

Stay off the scale.

Follow your eating program.

You will lose if you stay on the program.

I do not even own a scale.  I work for a school district, and we have a scale at work.  I allow myself to step on it each Monday.  Surprisingly, it has shown a loss every time I step on it, so it keeps me sane.  Perhaps once I hit maintenance I will invest in a new scale for the house.

I have been guilty of the following : rise out of bed - quick stop at bathroom, run to basement to step on scale as I have the scale with the workout gear...LOL....I am going to follow the advice of this thread and move to a weekly weigh in..because i am obsessed right now with the scale and am seeing movement during the honeymoon phase..I am already nervous as to how I will react with no movement on the scale....I am moving the darn thing!

I think most of us obsessed about the scale at some point. I only weighed myself on Mondays and Thursdays because there is some flux each day. Its a bummer to be down 3 pounds 1 day and back up 2 pounds the next. Just weighing 2x a week helped me keep track and from going insane. Congrats on your surgery and your weight loss! You are doing great!

I have taken the opposite approach. I have some to realize that 1 lb or 2 fluctuations is normal, so don't let it bother me. But I want to keep track of where the trend is heading, so I can look more critically at if I am slipping or if it really is a fluctuation. But each person has to deal with this differently.

I'm finally at the point where I might weigh myself twice a week. I was obsessive about it for the first many months and as I hit stalls, I freaked out, though I knew they were to be expected. And when mother nature has her monthly visit, I step off the scale for at least a solid week. 

I have to put it away! At least for a few days. I just haven't seen any movement in 5 days now and its frustrating, so I am going to continue to exercise and just wait it out until it starts moving again. I need to look at the positive side of everything - at least its not going up!

8 months out and having reached my goal (and passed it) I still get on the scale every morning first thing.  You will have stalls along the way but I always found that I lost inches during those weight loss stalls - you're doing great!

I did great the first five weeks then   WHAM! hit a frigg'n plateau like you wouldn't believe!  The next five weeks I was up and down 2-3 pounds whenever I got on the scale.  At the end, had my three month group meeting with the NUT and found out (gee, thanks for telling me!) that if a person is on thyroid meds, do not take them within two hours of taking any calcium.  First I heard of this.  Anyway, two days later, started the downward trend again.

So yes.  It is normal to have some stalls.  This too shall pass.

Peace

I have to put it away! At least for a few days. I just haven't seen any movement in 5 days now and its frustrating, so I am going to continue to exercise and just wait it out until it starts moving again. I need to look at the positive side of everything - at least its not going up!

Stay off the scale for at least a week.

Best...