scarlet-amelia

Calcium Citrate recommendations?

oh wow! that is a good option. Right now I bought a RAFT of Upcal... but I'm going to keep that in mind for an alternative, if I don't like the upcal..

Okay, this is one subject I actually know quite a bit about, lol. To reiterate & correct/add info:

1. I take liquid Reviva cal citrate which includes D3 & magnesium. (just like sodium & potassium have to balance each other out, so too calcium & magnesium. (Calcium= bones, magnesium= muscles--mag is the first thing they IV after a heart attack.) Get it at Costco or order at Amazon. Dose is 500 per ounce. Consistency of paint but okay taste. 

2. What tmgee said re: calcium vs iron. TRUE, look it up folks. So separate calcium from vitamin intake. 

3. What Cinwa & Spunky said re: DEXA vs. bone scan. TRUE. As a cancer survivor (aggressive), I have biannual scans for metastasis, nuclear in blood+ CAT. DEXA (basically an xray) every 2 years for osteo. 

4. The good news: Osteoporosis and osteopenia ARE absolutely reversible! I took fosamax once a week, then boniva once a month, then the annual shot. (It was just one more thang in my life so I simplified.) 

Guess what?!? I went from osteoporosis to osteopenia to normally dense bones!!!  So keep hope alive. Do what you have to do if you get a diagnosis of weak bones: calcium, weight-bearing exercise (walking), and a script from your doc..

Edited by saguaro68

saguaro68... this brings up an interesting question. Why can't we just take a Boniva once a month, rather than daily? that would SURE save some money (as insurance should cover it).. and it would also save a little daily hassle. Does anyone know if this is an option?

Yep--boniva IS only once a month. I don't know of any daily option for osteoporosis/osteopenia meds.

Fosamax is once a week

I switched from that to

Boniva once a month

I switched from that to

Reclast once a year

And got my strong bones back.

(new: Prolia twice a year)

Edited by saguaro68

Boniva is used for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in post menopausal women.

Calcium and vitamin D are minerals used to supplement our recommended daily allowance that we should be getting in food. However because of the limited amount of food we eat, and for bypassers , malabsorption, we need to supplement daily to prevent osteopenia and osteoporosis . Boniva and other drugs in that class can have nasty side effects and their use should be limited to those people with known osteoporosis.

Just to echo what Spunkycat posted.

Boniva is used to treat or prevent osteoporosis in women after menopause and is generally prescribed to women with low bone density.  

saguaro68... this brings up an interesting question. Why can't we just take a Boniva once a month, rather than daily? that would SURE save some money (as insurance should cover it).. and it would also save a little daily hassle. Does anyone know if this is an option?

It isn't an option.

Boniva is used to treat or prevent osteoporosis in women after menopause and is generally prescribed to women with low bone density.

So, then.. it is NOT a form of calcium.. right?

Boniva, fosamax, and other drugs in that class(es) are not calcium but very specific drugs to treat osteoporosis in post menopausal women. These drugs have some very nasty side effects including a necrotic(dead) jaw bone.

Edit to add:other side effects that are more common than jaw bone necrosis, include ulcerations of the esophagus(erosive esophagitis) and stomach ulcers.

Edited by Spunkycat

So, then.. it is NOT a form of calcium.. right?

You are correct.

Good that was clarified. Somehow the conversation morphed from cal citrate forms to diagnosis of osteoporosis and corrective prescription meds... I felt obligated to respond to an incorrect statement that nothing can be done to reverse bone loss if it occurs. It seems that those meds were interpreted as being options for everyone instead of calcium. So thanks.

saguaro... sorry for that threadjack.. but I have one more question about what you said:

"I felt obligated to respond to an incorrect statement that nothing can be done to reverse bone loss if it occurs. "

So... how would someone do that? As I'm thinking through this... if someone is taking their recommended amount of calcium (1500 mg a day) and they still were suffering from bone loss as they were having malabsorbtion problems... then how would they reverse (and prevent further) the bone loss?

If you are diagnosed with osteopenia or osteoporosis , then you might be prescribed a drug like Boniva or Fosamax which helps te body build new bone.

Scarlet, you asked : "so.. if they find bone loss... is that reversible?"

Jolls said: "Nope.  Damage from vitamin definciences often can't be.  That is why, despite how awesome and great we may feel now, it is important to take our supplements.  In regard to vitamins, it isn't so much about the NOW - its about the long term future."

But (sorry Jolls), the correct answer re: reversing bone loss is " it absolutely can be reversed." That's why I went into some length about that, as did others. Several of us have told you, several times now, about how it's diagnosed & treated--and often reversed--with various drug prescriptions.

My advice to you, unless you are over 50 and/or really skinny (the classic candidate for osteopenia/osteoporosis), is to avoid getting all tangled up in this stuff. Just make sure you get your daily calcium and don't worry about bone loss. Once you hit 50, the DEXA scan is done every 2 years, just like mammograms. 

Edited by saguaro68

Okay, I know this topic has been done to death. But I just made a new discovery I want to share. Doc advised dividing the cal citrte into 3x a day, but 1 hr after the vitamins due to the iron issue. Took up my whole day with all this,lol. I had spent a bunch of money on the liquid Reviva cal citrate (good) and then their liquid vitamins (nasty).

THEN I looked at all my vitamin nutrition labels (I'd saved empty bottles from my $$$ Bariatric Advanatge & Centrum Silver Chewables, plus checked the Reviva liquid). Guess what?!? NONE of them have iron!!! So no need for taking the cal citrate separately

I just ordered the Bariatric Eating vites from bariatriceating.com because theirs does have iron, but it's chelated so you can take it with calcium citrate--which is IN the vitamins!-and it supposedly does not constipate.