scarlet-amelia

Vitamin research.. results.

So, I took a couple of hours and did some comparison/research on a bunch of chewable multivitamins today. I listed ALL nutrients and compared them across the board. What I was specifically looking for was a 1 a day, chewable, that was as complete as possible so I would be able to take as few pills/doses as I could. the vitamins I compared were as follows:

Centrum Chewable (serving size 1 a day)

One a day Vitacrave Gummies (serving size 1 a day)

Flinstone complete gummy (serving size 1 a day)

Twinlabs Bariatric chewable multivitamin (serving size 1 a day)

Celebrate Bariatric Multi-complete (serving size 2 a day)

Procare Health bariatrics (serving size 1 day)

Bariatric advantage (serving size 2 a day)

I ONLY compared serving size. I did not factor in double dosing per day, as I didn't want to have to do that. I want to Keep It Simple Stupid!  (KISS)

The overall winner, HANDS DOWN?  Procare Health Bariatrics. Beat out, not only other bariatric vitamins.. but also regular multivitamins like centrum in all nutrients (even when doubled!) . It also came closest to the ASMBS requirements (for RNY procedure):

200% RDA for most vitamins and minerals..

Iron (recommended 18-65 mg per day) came in at 45MG..

B12 was at 1000 mcg (recommended is 500-1000mcg)..

vitamin D came in at 3000 IU (recommended 2000 IU)

If you need Iron..  this vitamin has only 45 mg (but still more than any other bariatric multivitamin I could find) If you have problems with Iron, the recommended amount is 325mg twice a day, so you would have to supplement iron.

Of course a person would still need to take calcium... and B12 (to get full absorbtion) but, everything else you need is covered in one daily chew.

They run about $13.00 for a 30 day supply.. so, not a bad price.

The only negative is that apparently they aren't the best tasting, although I have read that they have recently changed the taste. I know Happy Camper took these for a while.. maybe she will jump in to review the taste...

In case anyone is interested.. Celebrate multi-complete came in a close second.. but price was closer to $20 for a 30 day supply.

Also, I completely ruled out three other vitamins not listed above because, even though they are called "bariatric" they do not come close to any of the bariatric needs. Those 3 are Optisournce, Bariatric Fusion, and Bariatric Lifestyle.. they are complete JUNK!  don't waste your money!

Anyway... this is what I found. Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

Edited by cinwa

You have to be one of the best prepared pre-ops ever! I am impressed at your determination to do this the right way!

I take Opurity Bariatric vitamins--they are one a day and a 90 day supply is $35.95, but if you put it on auto-refill you get a 15% discount. I use that because it was one of 6 on the list from the surgeon and NUTs and I liked the idea of once a day.  If you don't mind, would you run the product through your research? (Just as an aside, I don't need iron, and I take B12 only every other day because my levels were too high.)

http://www.opurity.com/opurity/opurityr-bypass-sleeve-optimized-chewable/

Oh, and it's the D that you need to ensure absorption of the calcium. So I do take an extra D and of course the extra calcium. Oh, and they taste good, too.

Edited by Molly January

You have to be one of the best prepared pre-ops ever! I am impressed at your determination to do this the right way!

I take Opurity Bariatric vitamins--they are one a day and a 90 day supply is $35.95, but if you put it on auto-refill you get a 15% discount. I use that because it was one of 6 on the list from the surgeon and NUTs and I liked the idea of once a day.  If you don't mind, would you run the product through your research? (Just as an aside, I don't need iron, and I take B12 only every other day because my levels were too high.)

http://www.opurity.com/opurity/opurityr-bypass-sleeve-optimized-chewable/

Hi Molly!  I know.. I'm obsessed, right?!  :)

So.. I looked at your vitamin, and I would call it Ok.. Based on my "expert research". . LOL!! (remember, I only looked at dosage, and the ASMBS recommendations.. )

Everything is pretty good except a couple of areas..

The areas where your vitamin is lower than the bariatric or regular vitamins I looked at are:

A, D,

K (there is not even a trace of K in your vitamin),

All the B vitamins are low. According to my surgeons office you would have to take a really good B-50 supplement to get your B levels up (not including B12 which we know is a whole 'nother story!

The only other thing that I saw is that you have no zinc at all.. and while that may not be a "bariatric" requirement.. it is a human requirement. It's pretty important that you get some. You may want to look at the foods you eat, and make sure you are getting enough daily zinc that way..

How do they taste?

Thanks!

Thanks for your research! The cost, size and dosage are excellent for the Procare vitamin. I am taking Opurity but I hate the taste. I will have send the info to my NUT along with my labs.

scarlet, any estimate of a surgery date? You're definitely doing your homework, girl.

I've been singing from the rooftops about ProCare for around 8 months now.  Best thing I've done for myself post op was to STOP having to take 6 chewables a day or to swallow a horse pill a couple times a day.  We are supposed to get 200% of the daily recommended vitamins, and this baby shows ON THE LABEL that it is 200%. It's the only one that does that. A hands down winner and affordable!  It's insanity not to take them!  I was just taking 3 or 4 gummies several times a day because I just didn't know how many to take. ProCare is ONE A DAY.  Problem solved.

Edit: my last two labs have been perfect

Editing again:  optisource and many of the other bariatric vitamins, you have to take something like 6 a day.  Not junk, but too much money for me.  Serving size IS important for bariatric patients.  When people take Flintstones, it's a joke.  200% is a LOT of Flintstones, and the amounts of certain things we need just aren't covered with any regular one a day or kids chewable.  Period.  Regardless of what a nut says.

So the taste of ProCare isn't the best when chewed, but what I did to maximize absorption was to just suck them.  Takes about 30 minutes and the taste isn't bad.  You can taste the B vitamins in it, but so what.  Worth it to me for what you get.  I pulled up my big girl panties, but truly, it's not bad at all.  The last ones I bought, I mistakenly ordered a 90 qty of the capsules.  I haven't had any issues with the capsules, but I will be ordering the chewables again next go-round because I like controlling the absorption rate.  Maybe it matters, maybe it doesn't, but it makes me feel better. :)

Edited by Happy-Camper

scarlet, any estimate of a surgery date? You're definitely doing your homework, girl.

no.. not yet. I'm still getting my pre-surgery tests done. My last one is a sleep study. I have an appointment with the sleep doc on Monday.. and then it will take a few weeks to get in for the actual study. Once that is done... the surgery center can submit to my insurance around the 3-5 month mark, of my supervised diet.

My 3rd Supervised diet appointment with the NUT is middle of next month. So.. guestimate?  I'm thinking march... but, they should be able to submit to the insurance around Christmas time... so, it could be sooner than that.

.. and, I think everyone should do their homework before having this done. It's a HUGE life change, and one should not go into it uneducated... right?

Hi Happy Camper!!  I was hoping you would pop in about those...

So, a quick question.. Do you also take extra B-50, or B12?  Those were the only areas I thought might have to be supplement... (of course Iron as well, if your doc feels you need a big dose of Iron)

Hi Happy Camper!!  I was hoping you would pop in about those...

So, a quick question.. Do you also take extra B-50, or B12?  Those were the only areas I thought might have to be supplement... (of course Iron as well, if your doc feels you need a big dose of Iron)

I do take 325mg of iron 3x a day per my PCP who has also had RNY because ferritin is too low. To that I add 3 stool softeners and 300 mg vit C for absorption) I take these at night before bed.

extra D in the winter to equal 10,000 iu to avoid getting sick. In the morning.

a dropper full of a multi B supplement sublingually once a week or when I remember.  My Bs are traditionally way high, though, so if I forget, no biggie. I forget a lot.  LoL

2,000 mg powdered Calcium in my drinks (1,000 twice a day)

Zinc in the winter to avoid illness.  in the morning

Probiotic in the morning

Ginko  Biloba for my brain, one in the morning

2 Digestive enzymes and CoQ10 with each meal

Chewable fiber which also includes a probiotic. Two, twice a day.

Magnesium when I think about it.

So you can see why adding extra vitamins to my day was such a hassle.  I take most of mine in the morning, excpt for the enzymes with meals, and then the  iron at night.

Edited by Happy-Camper

DANG!!! no wonder your so tiny!  there's no room left in that little pouch for food!!  :lol:

DANG!!! no wonder your so tiny!  there's no room left in that little pouch for food!!  :lol:

Ha!  Actually, I take my morning pills in stages with coffee.  In my head, the warm coffee helps.  Lol.  I take the multi first, wait maybe 5 -10 minutes, and then take some chewables, then wait a bit and take some others.   Not a problem. It does fill me up though, hence the pausing between.  I have a mix of chewable (D and zinc) and capsules so it's not bad.

Edited by Happy-Camper

.. and, I think everyone should do their homework before having this done. It's a HUGE life change, and one should not go into it uneducated... right?

Yes, but it's amazing to me how many people don't. And the aftermath of that is that they really believe WLS is like a tonsillectomy - that their fat problem is surgically fixed.

Day one post op is when the real work begins. I can't stress enough that one should not be focused on a single "weight related" goal. If you think about it, excess weight is merely an indicator of more primary health issues: Sleep apnea, foot and joint problems, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, high blood pressure and limited mobility, to name a few. Yet, despite losing co-morbidities, people still stress when they encounter a stall - which always happen.

As you travel this lifelong WLS road, the secret to happiness (and isnt that what we all really want?), is to appreciate the little things that happen along the way. I think that is why the NSV thread is so enduring - and so important for us to post there. It's theraputic! Before Jolls started that thread there was a "What is your WOW moment?" thread that Claire-in-Texas started that went on and on for years.

The balance of being happy in your own skin, and discontented enough to strive to improve can be tricky. But figuring out your own unique path is the key to success.

Yes, but it's amazing to me how many people don't.

NO KIDDING!!  as I'm reading many posts here.. it's not even a matter of someone not doing research.. some folks obviously never even read the materials the surgeons gave them.

NO KIDDING!!  as I'm reading many posts here.. it's not even a matter of someone not doing research.. some folks obviously never even read the materials the surgeons gave them.

I would like this 1,000 times if I could..

Painfully obvious in some cases.  What else is painfully obvious is that some people consider WLS a way they can still eat what they used to eat, but in smaller quantities.   That dog don't run.  That bird don't fly, either.  Eventually, the quantities that can be ingested are increased - with time.  So they end up with the same old diet as they had pre op, thinking, "it's okay, I can only eat a little bit.".    Dumb, dumb, dumb.  

I went on the site to order these and now there are two! The origional ones and a new realease. Which ones do you order? Also do you order 2 bottles of the 90 day supply to avoid the shipping cost? Are they still good at 6 months out? Thanks, Donna

Edited by wilrhy

I think they are the same. All that changed is the label....

Early in my pre-op process I was annoyed that I had so many hoops to jump through. By that time I'd already read several books, gleaned so much from this site and I'd been in therapy for years. I thought I was ready for the surgery today. In hindsight, I'm glad the process took several months. It gave me plenty of time to really think about the entire process and do the rest of my inner work to get my food addiction under control. Great point Aviator that is not just about the number - its so much more. Better health, more mobility, improved self-esteem. I feel like I got to hit the re-set button on my life. 

I went on the site to order these and now there are two! The origional ones and a new realease. Which ones do you order? Also do you order 2 bottles of the 90 day supply to avoid the shipping cost? Are they still good at 6 months out? Thanks, Donna

Hi Donna!  I take these vitamins as well!  The most recent bottles I received have an expiration date of 2017 so no worries about them expiring! From looking at their website often ( because they have other items I get as well) I can tell you they have 3 options now.  1 is a formula made for Lapband patients ( almost ordered this by mistake once!- looks like still has the older label design), and then there are 2 made for the Bypass/Sleeve/RNY procedures-- this one has a chewable form and a capsule form.     The Chewable only comes in a 30 count while the capsule comes in a 90 count. I have tried them both and have no issues.  I mix it up through out my week-- and I don't mind the chewables taste. It reminds me of Tang from the 80's!  The flavor has definitely improved over the last year too!   Labs have been great too-- so no complaints from me and I like to keep it simple and feel confident I am getting what I need! 

I'm going by the book so much that it's all rumpled from me checking and looking stuff up.

I have not even been okd to TAKE vitamins yet and figure after first month I'll change brands likely on some based on the variables.

This info on Procare is great. Thanks!!

I bought all BA and Celebrate at first to safeguard and honestly Procare wasn't on doc or NUT list so I'm glad you mentioned them