NuttyMoonBride

Caught in the Middle: Weightloss conflict between surgeon and R.D

I was sleeved on 5/7/2014.  28 weeks later and 60 pounds lighter, my surgeon states that I should lose another 25-30 lbs to be at my goal. In other words, he would like for me to be between 101-125 lbs.  My registered Dietitian, who specializes in Bariatrics, was shocked to hear that he would like me to go as low as 101 or to stay at the highest of 125.  She agrees that I must lose more weight, but she recommends that I stay between 130 to 140. I'm currently 149 lbs and still on blood pressure medicines.  I feel and look great.   I work out 2-3x per week and swim laps for 90 minutes once weekly.

-My eating sucks.  I must confess!   mostly protein shakes, instant oatmeal, salads and a few far and between vegetables and fruits.  

My weight loss has slow down and my stalls are getting longer and longer between loss.

Now I feel confused/ conflicted.  I would like to go to down to 101, cause the last time I was between 101-125 was 3 decades ago.     But really, How realistic is that?

I see my Registered Dietitian once monthly.  I see my surgeon for 5 minutes every 2 months.  my dilemma is : Who in heaven's name am I supposed to believe?

Help please!!!  thanks  

It's not a decision EITHER of them can make for you.  Only YOU can decide what works best for your body and what you can maintain long term.  You will know when you get there.

You're only 6 months out.  You have at least another 6 months to lose.  At your height, you would look great at 115-125. 101 would be ridiculously small for your age.  You're probably stalled because you need to eat some protein!  Do you track your food and protein intake?

You're only 6 months out.  You have at least another 6 months to lose.  At your height, you would look great at 115-125. 101 would be ridiculously small for your age.  You're probably stalled because you need to eat some protein!  Do you track your food and protein intake?

DITTO....are you hitting your protein goal?

This is your journey. You should set your own goal weight.

Are you meeting your protein goals?

If not that could account for part of stalls.

Best...

It's not a decision EITHER of them can make for you.  Only YOU can decide what works best for your body and what you can maintain long term.  You will know when you get there.

I concur with both those responses.

The "normal" BMI range for your height is 110 to 139 lb.

The ultimate decision as to what weight you go for is yours.

Thanks.  I like the way I look now, But I think I can do 125.  Thanks. 

DITTO....are you hitting your protein goal?

You are absolutely right.  I'm not on target with my protein.  I should consume more. Thanks.