defsystem

Question for the ladies.....

Hey!

Just wondering if it's normal to put on FOUR pounds of water weight during that oh so special time of the month? I was 266 yesterday and 270 today. I admittedly feel very bloated but I'm also paranoid. Again that irrational fear that I'll "break" my sleeve lol.

Thanks for the help!

My usual spiel  :) ....

Stalls are also completely normal and should be expected.  Your weightloss will not just be a continuous downward slope;  it will look more like stairs.  Many many people get their first stall at 3 weeks.  I think I didn't get mine till 5.  My weightloss really amped up after about 6 weeks post op.  Recently I just got off a 3 1/2 week stall.  Also it is is pretty typical to have small "gains" in there as well, not fat gains but water gains.  Particularily around 'that time of the month'.  Just a normal part of the process the majority of us have to deal with.  

I routinely gain 3lbs overnight when aunt flo hits.

I have the same thing happen. I've learned now to avoid the scale that week and the week after. It helps to avoid that panic I also feel.

My usual spiel :) ....

Stalls are also completely normal and should be expected. Your weightloss will not just be a continuous downward slope; it will look more like stairs. Many many people get their first stall at 3 weeks. I think I didn't get mine till 5. My weightloss really amped up after about 6 weeks post op. Recently I just got off a 3 1/2 week stall. Also it is is pretty typical to have small "gains" in there as well, not fat gains but water gains. Particularily around 'that time of the month'. Just a normal part of the process the majority of us have to deal with.

I routinely gain 3lbs overnight when aunt flo hits.

Hahahahhah thanks! You're so knowledgable.

Another random question..... I'm hungrier too. Is that normal? I know before that was normal but I was hoping with vsg id get to avoid the excessive hunger around this time of the month

Hahahahhah thanks! You're so knowledgable.

Another random question..... I'm hungrier too. Is that normal? I know before that was normal but I was hoping with vsg id get to avoid the excessive hunger around this time of the month

Goodness gracious, I thought I was the only one who felt hungry, but to be honest, it is like I need to be munching on something, constantly.  What a scary feeling.  Is that normal? 

Bad, because, I love chocolate covered raisins and anything crunchy, like almonds, walnuts and cashews, but my RD, asked me to please stop.  tons of calories and little nutritional value.  What do we do, when that "time of the Month" is fast approaching and the munchies get the best of our psych?  

I eat a ton of raw carrots with Otria yogurt veggie dip.  The carrots give me the crunch I am craving and the yogurt dip actually has some protein in it so it's a win-win.  Not as healthy, but a good snack that I rely on around that time of the month, is the 100 calorie bags of microwave popcorn. 

Its all in your head/the insane hormones associated around aunt flo.   I am never physically hungry - and I am almost 2 years post sleeve.  However, the week prior to aunt flo coming I have insatiable head hunger.  I want to do nothing but eat any and everything.  I'm not even kidding, I can't even stop thinking about food that week unless I fall asleep.  It is frustrating and horrible and I dread that one week out of every month because it takes a loooooooooottttttt of willpower to not stuff my face.  I keep pickles around a lot so when I can't stand it I go mow down a bunch of those.

Just to speak about hunger in other general sense....

Your nerves and stomach are cut - you don't have normal "feelings" in there for like 6-8 weeks until it heals internally.  Acid is a big con after sleeve and acid can often be mistaken for hunger.  Take your antacids.  Thirst is another common thing that can be mistaken for hunger.  For the first few weeks you can fit so little in there and dehydration is a big concern - so often the sleeve is just wanting some fluids, not actual food.  Lastly, the sleeve will also be very vocal - for a long time if not forever (though it does quiet down some eventually).  It will gurgle, growls, squeak, grumble and rumble for absolutely any or no reason at all.  Don't be quick to equate a noisy tummy with "hunger" growls.

Have to keep an open mind and patience to heal.  Most no one ever believes us when we tell them they are not actually hungry....and we understand, really we do.  Most of went through it and its not till you are on the other side that you really grasp it all.  Things will be different.  The stomach is different.  It will feel differently, warn you differently - hunger and full sensations won't be like they were prior to surgery.  You won't really know what they will be like until it is healed though and until you are on solid food/proteins.  Allow yourself the 6-8 weeks to heal and use the time to start paying attention to your body and learn the new signals it will be trying to give you.  And once you are eating solid foods consistantly, it should help with general head hunger as well.

Edited by Jolls