TonyBaloney

Waiting for surgery date - needing support

Hi Everyone,

I completed my 6-month pre-op and should get my date scheduled in the next week or so. I am excited about my decision and know I am making the right one. However, I am feeling quite vulnerable and anxious. I will need to tell friends, family and work but feel so exposed. I always pretended that everything was great despite the intense struggle I was having with my weight. So having to share my struggle feels very overwhelming. Just wanted to share. Any support or recommendations would be so appreciated.

I am right there with you. I am meeting with the scheduler next week and hoping for a January date. I am very picky about who I share with and have told several people, but not my bff! Good luck this week.

You don't post your weight, but I know that if you are getting GBS, you are are overweight. I also know that no matter how much you "pretended everything was great," the people who are closest to you know that you have had an "intense struggle" with your weight. We don't fool anyone with our pretenses. You don't have to share your struggles verbally. If you must tell people, simply say you are having the surgery. Period. You don't have to share with anyone with whom you don't feel comfortable. That being said, there is something very freeing about releasing our deepest darkest secrets. No one ever ran screaming from the room when I told them about my surgery.   

Sharing is a personal decision.  Some people will be supportive and some not.  It's your choice to share or not.  Good luck.

Your struggles are your struggles and share them with whoever you choose - at work I simply said I was going in for surgery.  Most people don't have the chutzpah to ask why and if they did I told them I was uncomfortable discussing it.  I did tell all my friends though.  Tell who you want as much as you want.  The surgery is for you, it's your decision, it directly benefits you, take control of it and be happy you are on your way to a healthier life.