December surgery anyone?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone   My date is Dec 22, 2014 great Christmas gift to myself   I just need people to talk with I am getting nervouse got my date today

Patience is a virtue they say, however it doesn't seem to be one of mine It does get frustrating to be following the plan faithfully and suddenly not see the scale change. I have issues with the scal

Couple things on that Kelly, getting tattoos as a kid probably would have been even scarier then being put under for surgery, or at least a close 2nd, right? I know alot of people who have tattoos but

I feel like I have been out of touch for awhile.  Surgery date was 12/18/14 and was released home 12/19/14.  My advice...stay as long in the hospital as you can stand.  Once they decided to discharge me, it was almost as if they could not get me out of there fast enough.  I was sent home with a prescription for pain meds and anti-nausea meds.  By 5AM the next morning, my husband was calling the on call doctor and they were suggesting I go to the emergency room so they could prescribe different pain meds (liquid instead of pill form).  I had vomited and had diarrhea all night.  The doctor suggested the diarrhea was from the fluid they had me drink for the leak test.  

In the hospital, they had me on fantastic pain meds that gave me a false sense of security.  I was able to walk, do stairs, use the restroom, eat, etc without any issue.  Once those fabulous pain meds wore off, it was a different scenario.  The vomiting the first night really scared me.  I was glad I had this forum where Jolls had posted that our sleeve could handle it.

rdsm7376: How long did it take you before you felt you had enough energy to leave the house?  I am still on liquids and get dizzy after taking a shower.  I have not yet dared to leave the house.  I think I am still in the what did I do to my body stage and am looking forward to moving on to the why did I wait so long stage?  In particular, I am thirsty all the time and cannot drink enough water (I am getting my required 32 ounces in, but am so thirsty and just wish I could gulp a gallon of water).  Also, I am still fighting with getting enough protein in.  I am really despising the protein chemical taste.  Mind over matter...and mind is still winning.  Any advice?

Edited by Gadget

I feel like I have been out of touch for awhile.  Surgery date was 12/18/14 and was released home 12/19/14.  My advice...stay as long in the hospital as you can stand.  Once they decided to discharge me, it was almost as if they could not get me out of there fast enough.  I was sent home with a prescription for pain meds and anti-nausea meds.  By 5AM the next morning, my husband was calling the on call doctor and they were suggesting I go to the emergency room so they could prescribe different pain meds (liquid instead of pill form).  I had vomited and had diarrhea all night.  The doctor suggested the diarrhea was from the fluid they had me drink for the leak test.  

In the hospital, they had me on fantastic pain meds that gave me a false sense of security.  I was able to walk, do stairs, use the restroom, eat, etc without any issue.  Once those fabulous pain meds wore off, it was a different scenario.  The vomiting the first night really scared me.  I was glad I had this forum where Jolls had posted that our sleeve could handle it.

rdsm7376: How long did it take you before you felt you had enough energy to leave the house?  I am still on liquids and get dizzy after taking a shower.  I have not yet dared to leave the house.  I think I am still in the what did I do to my body stage and am looking forward to moving on to the why did I wait so long stage?  In particular, I am thirsty all the time and cannot drink enough water (I am getting my required 32 ounces in, but am so thirsty and just wish I could gulp a gallon of water).  Also, I am still fighting with getting enough protein in.  I am really despising the protein chemical taste.  Mind over matter...and mind is still winning.  Any advice?

That's so different from my experience with Swedish and Dr. Tillquist. Make sure you tell Dr. Tillquist, he is amazing! You should be seeing him pretty regularly in the beginning, so voice your concerns.

That's so different from my experience with Swedish and Dr. Tillquist. Make sure you tell Dr. Tillquist, he is amazing! You should be seeing him pretty regularly in the beginning, so voice your concerns

I see Dr Tilliquist on Tuesday.  He is a great doctor.  I am already preparing my list of questions.  I was self-pay...so it might have something to do with why I had a different experience?  Did you not experience any nausea or dizziness the while on the liquid diet?

Hi my surgery was done on December 4, 2014. I was scared up until they said,"we going to put you to sleep now". I stayed only one day in the hospital. After coming home , the pain medicine tasted like pure sugar. I forced my self to take it . Even sugar free jello was too sweet . I hurt more when I sat down, got up , or laid down. It was like something was ripping in my left side. I called the on call doctor. He suggested to go to a pharmacy, and purchase a stretchable binder to wrap my stomach to help the pain . Wow that made a big difference. I soon became adjusted to the liquid pain meds. Now sugar free jello tastes fine thats what I use to take my pills . I took sick last week with the flu and was in ER for that and dehydration. Doing much better now with only a nagging cough left. Fluids is a big issue for me still but one day at a time , right! I just want to say I am thankful that my Creator gave me this opportunity to fix the weakness He knows I have to conquer my addiction. Best of luck to all who have and those who are their way to a new you!

Sorry things didn't go as well as you had hoped. I was discharged with pills as well. It really helped me to take them in half. You may be drinking too fast. I stuck to the 1 oz medicine cup for about 8 days. It helped me to get in the habit of how much to drink. I used Undruy shakes and isopure protein drinks. They are clear for the most part and are not thick. I also found if things were room temp it was easier. I also got boulion cubes and dissolved in warm water as a soup for about 12 days. I did drive on the fourth day but short errands in my neighborhood (walmart). My energy level is still not back to normal but I keep moving forward. I am taking my multi vitamin and b12. I've begun light exercise and that is really helping to get things back in order. Everyone here suggested I walk walk walk. And it really helped. Don't exercise until your Dr says. I'm a few days from 1 month and I want to say when everybody says it gets better it really does. Hang in there and take baby steps.

God bless

Edited by rdsm7376

And as far as thirst goes don't know if you have diabetes like me but I also monitored my blood sugar. You should talk to your Dr about that as soon as possible.

I see Dr Tilliquist on Tuesday.  He is a great doctor.  I am already preparing my list of questions.  I was self-pay...so it might have something to do with why I had a different experience?  Did you not experience any nausea or dizziness the while on the liquid diet?

Yes, he is great!  I always had so many questions, and he was very patient in addressing all of my concerns and craziness :)

If you mean the post-op liquid phase, no, I didn't have any nausea or dizziness.  But I drank mostly chicken broth (sodium) and skim milk.  Lots of hot tea.  I wasn't a fan of protein shakes.  Maybe they don't agree with you?  I didn't have to do any pre-op diet.

PM me if you need to talk to a local :)

Hi all....glad to see everyone is hanging in there. I went to the mall yesterday to walk because it was 85 degrees in FL and right when I opened the doors to walk in to the mall, the smell of auntie Anne's pretzels hit me. Made me a little sad, I have to admit. How is everyone doing with head hunger?

It was terrible at first. Started a bad habit. Then I realized just how bad my relationship with food was and what a wonderful restart I've been given. Everytime I want something or feel like I'm starving I evaluate what is really going on before input anything in my mouth. It's gotten a whole lot better.

Edited by rdsm7376

Thank you to all for your honesty and advice.  I met with my surgeon two days ago.  Upping my OTC Pepcid has really helped.  And, it is allowing me to take a script I quit taking after surgery due to nausea and pain.  Now, I no longer have dizziness.  I started pureed food yesterday -- what a difference.   

• 1 month later...

Hi fellow December sleevers.  Was wondering how everyone was doing.  I was doing great but I have hit a stall for the last 10 days and its driving me nuts!  Happy to have lost over 40 pounds in the 8 weeks but I am working hard and I want to see more results!  Hope everyone is doing well!

I've been in a stall for the same timeframe. It is so frustrasting, so I broke down and bought myself a new scale today that measures body fat % as well so at least I can hopefully see that changing. I have been at the gym for an hour a day so building muscle is probably my issue, I am just hoping with this new scale to see it in real numbers to comfort myself.

Hi fellow December sleevers.  Was wondering how everyone was doing.  I was doing great but I have hit a stall for the last 10 days and its driving me nuts!  Happy to have lost over 40 pounds in the 8 weeks but I am working hard and I want to see more results!  Hope everyone is doing well!

Patience is a virtue they say, however it doesn't seem to be one of mine :) It does get frustrating to be following the plan faithfully and suddenly not see the scale change. I have issues with the scale anyway, so am trying not to weigh as often but it's a hard habit to break. My dietician advised to change something up when hitting a stall; add or change workout, or change up the diet a bit. So far my stalls haven't lasted very long, so maybe that's working? I keep reminding myself that I didn't get this way overnight so I shouldn't expect to "fix" it overnight either.

I will say that I feel GREAT! Last night I participated in a Numana food packaging event (an organization that feeds the starving people in the world), and my pastor without asking had ordered me an XL shirt. Normally, I wear at least a 2X and those were getting snug before surgery. I was worried about having to squeeze into it, and to my surprise...it fit!!