December surgery anyone?

kellykinss_

I am new here as well.  This is my first post...ever...in any forum  :D.  My surgery is scheduled for 12/18.  I have been so excited about finally making the decision for VSG.  But now, I am getting anxious.  I am self pay as both my husband's insurance plan and mine exclude bariatric surgery.  (My husband even works for a large county.)  Because of the self pay, the risks of the surgery are starting to get to me.  My husband is so supportive and he is looking forward to eating healthier with me.  But, I feel nervous about risking our finances.  I was feeling optimistic and confident.  Yet the closer my surgery date is, the more anxious I am getting.  

this is why i'm happy I live in Canada.

The RNY and VSG are both covered by our free healthcare system.

the Lap band is not. and neither is excess skin removal.

im sorry to hear that you aren't covered. im just curious as to how much it costs down there?

this is why i'm happy I live in Canada.

The RNY and VSG are both covered by our free healthcare system.

the Lap band is not. and neither is excess skin removal.

im sorry to hear that you aren't covered. im just curious as to how much it costs down there?

Hi Kellykinns,

I hope I get to visit Canada someday...I hear it is beautiful.  I want to visit Banff and do some hiking, but need a healthier body to do so.  Maybe this will be something I can look forward to doing...hmmm, this may have just given me a goal.

My VSG surgery is estimated to be around $14,500.  They can only estimate because hospital charges will increase if there are complications.  Other surgeons in my same area offered this for around $17,500.  The RNY is about $6,000 more than the VSG.  Excess skin removal is rarely covered in the US as well.  Some insurance plans will cover it if it is causing rashes with infections.  But, my employer's plan specifically excludes it.  So, I have to hope that I see enough savings in my food bills declining to help pay for the surgery(s) and a new wardrobe  ;)

Wow that's really expebsive . I've heard that if you go to mexico its like 4000. But who knows if its safe..

Yes, I thought about Mexico...I saw quite a few posts on here about Mexico and their successful outcomes.  But, ultimately, my husband helped convince me that I should stay in the US.  My surgeon does include a year of monthly visits in the price.  And, I feel the monthly follow up will help to ensure a successful outcome (at least I hope it does).

I read Aviator's blog about his journey and he was self pay.  It helped to ease my mind somewhat and it really helped me understand the VSG procedure when I starting out on my research.  Now, I just need to constantly remind myself to be positive and not worry about everything.  As the date gets close, I get more anxious about the fears and excited for my "new" life ahead.

Edited by Gadget

I look forward to fitting onto that bench..lol. 

I'm new here and will be doing the vertical sleeve on December 15. I have so many emotions about it I feel like it's a roller coaster right now. I go tomorrow for my pre-op class so hopefully the nerves will settle down then and I can just enjoy the adventure.

Looks like December 16 is the day for me. We got confirmations last week at the pre-op class. Doing okay on liquids so far. I actually started it in the last week of November. Figured I might as well get use to it. :)

good luck ladies....  thanksgiving and Christmas is a big food time for you over the pond I believe. but don't worry...  if you have the full bypass... its great...  I haven't felt hungry since august when I had mine. the receptors which send signals to the brain to say you are hungry are no longer there so you shouldn't feel it at all...  I know some people still get cravings but I think these might be in the head...psychologically as it were...  I've  gone 3 days without solid food and didn't feel anything until I went dizzy and light headed then fell over..  this is a great way of reminding me to eat !   :) just make sure you have before shots of you so you can compare...  I'm just looking at mine now and I can really see how well it went...

have fun and I look forward to reading about your journeys...    merry Christmas to you all.....

Anyone here gets the blues prior to surgery? I can't figure out what happened to my nervous excitement. I do not have any meds to blame it on. My sleeve date is 12/30/14.

Hi Ksock: I have been having the blues too.  Maybe I am mourning the loss of carbs to come?  For me, I really think it has more to do with the stress of trying to get everything competed prior to this life changing event.  

Selfishly, I wanted to cry today.  Today was to be my favorite meal at my favorite restaurant.  My husband got the flu overnight and I have been trying to prepare for my surgery, take care of him, and try to avoid getting sick myself.  I know I shouldn't be hurt as he cannot control getting sick.  He has a habit of getting sick on my special events.  Dinner really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.  But, I still feel like crying.  

Sorry I am not more chipper.  Hang in there!  Your date will be here before you know it.  We both have a healthy future ahead.

Gadget, thank you for your honesty. You can still eat? Wow, I have two weeks of full liquids.

I hope your husband gets well and most importantly, that you don't catch it! I will be thinking of you on the 18th. Take care. I bet our emotions are normal. Time for a long walk.

Thanks Ksock.  Yes, I can still eat.  Monday and Tuesday are salads and soups only.  Wednesday is liquids only.  Then, surgery on Thursday.  The pre-op diet seems to vary by surgeon.  I have read some have had four weeks of liquids, others even longer.  And, a few of us are more like me.

My date was December 2. Had it done. Still learning.

Yay I'm excited to be part of the December group. I had gastric bypass on Monday the 15th. I'm feeling physically good emotionally a wreck my mind is mean to me, all it wants me to do is eat. Breaking up with food is so much harder than I thought.

I am surprised I am not that hungry now that my full liquid phase is under 1000 calories. Must be the protein. I think of 56 previous diets (I am 55) and freaking out at 1400. Tonight I froze some of my current full liquid s into silicon muffin cups, each held two ounces. I popped them out into freezer bags for post-op. I did that with veggie juices from the juicer for other recipes.

I was surprised to learn my hospital stay for my sleeve is three days. I thought one night!

Yay I'm excited to be part of the December group. I had gastric bypass on Monday the 15th. I'm feeling physically good emotionally a wreck my mind is mean to me, all it wants me to do is eat. Breaking up with food is so much harder than I thought.

It gets better.

Post any questions you have under postop vertical sleeve.

My surgery date is also December 30th and I started my pre-op diet today. I can only have protein shakes, broth, sugar free jello and sugar free popcicles. It's definitely hard, pretty hungry right now and bummed to be missing Christmas parties.

Are the rest of you only allowed to mix two scoops of protein with 3 or 4 oz of water? Somehow I must have missed that in my research and pre op seminar. I assumed we could put as much water as we wanted. What's strange to me is when I talked to my doctors office yesterday they told me it should be really thick, almost the consistency of pudding. I've had two today with 4oz of water and it is not thick at all. What am I doing wrong?!?!?

Hi all,

I just found this page! Yay December surgeries! Lol.

I had mine December 15 and so excited to find others with dates close to mine. Looking for buddies to help me through this!!!

December 2. Doing fine. Started soft foods. Still not hungry and loosing fast. I started walking on the treadmill. Exercise feels good having a great time.