lovelife82

kicking soda habit!

I drank 8-10 cans a day before surgery. Prior to the surgery I started the weaning process, was down to a can a day when my surgery date arrived. I don't miss it all, which is shocking to me. I would tell my husband that I was "going critical" when I popped open the last can, and we would go out and buy more. I have tasted it a couple of times recently and I can't believe how awful it is. I never in a million years would have believed how much water I drink now and how I enjoy it!

I'm a soda junky. I want this to change so bad. I am truly rooting for you.

I also had my addiction to Pepsi, I never liked diet sodas.. the taste to me is just yuck. I was afraid on how I would deal with it after surgery, I drank up till the last day before.. Not knowing so much the day after surgery I took i very tiny sip and that was it for me, the feeling the pain it caused. I can honestly say that at that moment I have never not wanted and ice cold pepsi as much as I didnt at that moment. I have not had any since, switched it for Crystal Light fruit punch.. If you think about it you wont do it, just get rid of it and dont look back.. 

Ms. Eli-- just curious. Where did you get Pepsi the day after surgery?

Ms. Eli-- just curious. Where did you get Pepsi the day after surgery?

I was home.. It was the evening after and had pepsi in the house, though I no longer do.. Got rid of it

Diet coke was literally like my crack addiction. I think that's a common thing (maybe not to that degree). I know no one who drinks one just occasionally. I sure didn't. It was breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, you name it, it was diet coke time. I had to just stop. I stopped with my two week liquid diet. It was REALLY hard. Harder than the two weeks of protein shakes. But now the idea of that taste grosses me out. Maybe I just know I can't have it??

I used to drink at least 6 cans of diet coke per day along with lots of unsweetened ice tea or hot tea.

I had to wean myself off of that enormous amount of caffeine slowly because I knew I would have terrible headaches post -op if I didn't kick the habit. I did wean myself but...my preop diet was so hard for me that in the last week of preop, I said " what the f....." And drank 2 liters/ day of diet coke per day that last week before surgery. I even stayed awake till midnight to drink my diet coke on the night before surgery.

Oh my god! The withdrawal headaches caused me more pain than my sleeve incisions.

A word to all those pre-op, wean the caffeine or you will be miserable.

I switched about 2 months ago to caffeine free Diet Pepsi. My nutritionist wasn't thrilled I was drinking soda, but she said that the hardest part is kicking the caffeine addiction. I am happy to say I have cut back from probably a 12 pack a week to 1 2-liter bottle a week. 

From the day I left home at 18 yrs old, I drank Dr.Pepper as my only hydration, I drank it at breakfast, lunch and dinner and anytime between, I even slept with a soda beside my bed. 2 yrs later changed to Diet Dr.Pepper. This was my drink of choice for the next 40 yrs. About 5 yrs ago I had to quit drinking soda because I had a terrible burning in my stomach, and all my friends said it was the carbonated water in the soda causing it, so I stopped drinking soda for a couple days just to prove them wrong. Guess what? My terrible burning stomach didn't burn anymore. So that was it and I switched to drinking the dreaded "w a t e r" but guess what? Water turned out to be quite tasty after I got used to it. It actually quenched my thirst better than soda. I never really had a problem giving up caffeine. That didn't seem to bother me at all for some reason. So I gave up soda about 3 yrs before my bariatric surgery. Been an avid bottle water drinker ever since.

However, recently I tried the new "Cherry Dr. Pepper". Yummy! and it doesn't seem as carbonated as the original. It seems to set well with my tummy. Now I find my self drinking it several times a day. I think anything in moderation is fine but I don't want to fall back into that trap of drinking only soda, so I am trying very hard to not overdo drinking my new favorite drink and still get my water in everyday.

Cheyenne

I've been trying to give up my pepsi max habit since booking my surgery earlier this month. I'm really struggling!

I've been trying to give up my pepsi max habit since booking my surgery earlier this month. I'm really struggling!

Is getting rid of the carbonation being made more difficult by losing the caffeine at the same time? You have two months. Would it help to wean off one before tackling the other?

Sadly I think I'll have to bite the bullet and go cold turkey, I've tried cutting back but my intake keeps increasing. I don't think it's the caffeine but the bubbles. :(

Have you tried moving to carbonated water first?  I did that then eventually stopped anything with bubbles.  Made the transition easier.

Hey! How are your attempts going with dropping soda? 

This is my second time in the program. I stopped shortly before surgery because I chickened out.  Lol. I'm ready now! 

Last time though, I had a really tough time kicking my soda habit. I was working 4-11pm at a call center. Soda was what kept me awake and alert. This time, knowing I'd have to kick it again, I stopped it before I even saw my surgeon. I've had some here and there when a craving strikes but yesterday, I bought a Pepsi at the grocery store and it was so harsh. I think I'm done for good! 

Good luck! It is a tough habit to drop. 

I cut down significantly before surgery, I got down to one a day or every few days. I figured at least my caffeine headache post-op would be minimal or non-existent with the pain killers.  Post-op it wasn't even a temptation, just trying to get in my liquids was consuming my thoughts! I am so glad to no longer be hounded by this terrible soda habit. 

Trying to change some habits pre-op is just impossible. Drinking with meals was another one I attempted to ditch pre-op and for me, it was impossible. Post-op it was a breeze. Even now, 22 months out, I can't eat and drink at the same time. On the TT cruise last week I would order a cocktail with dinner and three hours later I would finish it. 

I cut down significantly before surgery, I got down to one a day or every few days. I figured at least my caffeine headache post-op would be minimal or non-existent with the pain killers.  Post-op it wasn't even a temptation, just trying to get in my liquids was consuming my thoughts! I am so glad to no longer be hounded by this terrible soda habit. 

Trying to change some habits pre-op is just impossible. Drinking with meals was another one I attempted to ditch pre-op and for me, it was impossible. Post-op it was a breeze. Even now, 22 months out, I can't eat and drink at the same time. On the TT cruise last week I would order a cocktail with dinner and three hours later I would finish it. 

The "no drinking with meals" rule seems like it'll be so hard! I've tried to try it now, pre-op, but I can't do it. I hope I have similar success. 

I was a heavy 4 to 6 bottle a day diet MT. Dew drinker and any where from 3 to 5 cups of coffee drinker a day . On the day I had my first appointment and fond out this stuff had to go I switched to decaffeinated green tea MAY 13  and never looked back now I only drink tea , water or water with enhanced flavored . You can get use to it but like everyone said work on it before your surgery . Best of everything to you !!

Mike

The "no drinking with meals" rule seems like it'll be so hard! I've tried to try it now, pre-op, but I can't do it. I hope I have similar success. 

Like anything else it takes patience and practice.  Its an important rule.  If you drink during meals you won't get all your food in and you'll flush the food out of your stomach too quickly.  Both very bad things.

I agree about not drinking 1/2 hour before , during and 1 hour after . I am a big time clock watcher during this period and like PapaG said practice , practice and practice more . Best to you !!

Mike

I know it's bad. I just figure it'll be easier to figure out after surgery when I have no choice. Hahahaha. 

Knowing the rules is 1/2 the battle, post-op the rules are easier to follow because you are forced to start from scratch with your tiny new tummy.  To this day I eat off a tiny plate, don't drink during meals or for a while afterwards. I used to take a short walk after meals to keep me from drinking. The farther out I got, the longer the walks got. By the time I got home it was time for some water! Best wishes! Jen

I also dropped drinking diet soda (in my case Diet Pepsi - which I really loved) cold turkey before my surgery.  I switched first to carbonated water with a twist of lime and then to decaf iced tea.

My doctor wanted me to drop three things out of my diet at least a month before surgery (besides 10-15 pounds so that my liver would be in better shape for surgery): alcohol. caffeine, and carbonation.  What I decided to do (with a mid-November surgery date) was to drop all alcohol at the end of July, all carbonation at the end of August, and all caffeine at the end of September.  This three-step program worked out very well for me.  Actually, the toughest one was dropping caffeine.  I went back to drinking some alcohol and caffeine about six to nine months after surgery, but still avoid carbonation (except for an occasional sip of champagne at a social event).

I used to drink about 20 cans of Diet Dr Pepper everyday.   In the last few years that was reduced to about 10.  Now, I know I have to say goodbye completely.  Im down to 2-4 now.  My surgery will be at least another 6 months so I will be finished soda by then.

I went through a couple of 2 liters of Fresca a day - stopped it cold after my first nutritionist appointment in December. Mostly I drink Crystal Light now, sometimes plain water, very rarely diet green tea.

My problem was not soda but a plain 16oz. latte with whole milk.  My program said I had to be 6 weeks before I could try coffee (8 oz daily max).  It's hit or miss, you find out just how good a barista is when you tell them plain latte with 2%.  Amazingly, I don't miss coffee that much, but in my family coffee came first so it's a minor sin not having a pot of coffee handy.