lovelife82

kicking soda habit!

Hi everyone ! I will have a appointment soon to meet with my surgeon ! I feel excited and nervous at the same time. I know you cant have caffeine after surgery, but im having trouble kicking  diet soda!! Any advice ????? Thanks !!!! 

Edited by lovelife82

I started getting off soda about 9 months before my surgery.  I first moved to carbonated water and then dropped that completely after getting my sleeve.  I strongly recommend that you get off carbonation by your surgery date, carbonation does not sit well in a sleeve, it causes a very uncomfortable feeling.

I literally just stopped buying it.  I went the cold turkey route and dealt with whatever reaction my body wanted to throw at me from it.  Its the only way I can do it though, I don't "ween" off things very well.

I was sucking down 2-2 liter bottles of diet pepsi a day. I switched to iced tea then the mio flavor enhancers. Don't touch the stuff now. I stuck my lip in my hubby's glass a while ago; not even a sip and couldn't stand the taste. Break the habit before surgery (won't have to deal with caffeine headaches)...

Cold turkey here too, had my last diet coke day before surgery. Oh how I loved a cold icy diet coke...

cold turkey here too!  I was addicted to diet coke and it's gone forever - everyone is amazed that I did it

I personally would do the carbonation thing cold turkey. No physical withdrawal symptoms that I'm aware of.

The caffeine, on the other hand, I did wean myself from. If your caffeine only comes from soda and you are not having surgery for a while, you might try making half of your normal intake decaf for a week, than 3/4 for a week, then 7/8. Then drop the soda altogether. I made gradual changes in all kinds of things--caffeine intake and carbonation--gradually in the seven months between info session and surgery. 

LOL - I think it's unreal/funny how all of us had a diet soda habit!  I'm so happy that I'm no longer drinking diet coke.  Gah - I used to LOVE it..

I did exactly what PapaG did.  I switched to soda water, then after surgery - no bubbles.

I had a big Diet Dr. Pepper-no caffeine habit for years. Man-that stuff is good!

I really wanted to ditch the aspartame, so switched to seltzer with a splash of juice on top (usually grapefruit)...or club soda with many limes...

I loved carbonation, and thought it would be a really big deal to me to give up, but wearing size 10 jeans is sooooo much better!

It has been hard. Especially when I am driving. I carry my water bottle everywhere. Sometimes I add Crystal Light flavors.

I was a huge soda drinker - both regular Pepsi as well as Diet Sunkist Orange. Between the two, I drank between 3-4 liters a day.     I went Cold turkey and to my surprise and shock I haven't missed soda at all.  I drink no carbonated beverages.   What I am finding super hard mainly because of social drinking settings, is not being able to have a beer or an Ale.   I am a little more than six months after surgery and I have not touched a soda, beer or any carbonated beverage.    I take an occasional  Cabernet in social drinking,  Water and Crystal light ( red raspberry ice ) is my new drink, but I am only drinking maybe 40 oz. a day combined, which I know is not enough.

Thank you everyone for your feedback!!

I also went cold turkey 5 years ago 2 weeks before my surgery it was a lot easier than I ever thought it would be.

I was a huge soda drinker - both regular Pepsi as well as Diet Sunkist Orange. Between the two, I drank between 3-4 liters a day.     I went Cold turkey and to my surprise and shock I haven't missed soda at all.  I drink no carbonated beverages.   What I am finding super hard mainly because of social drinking settings, is not being able to have a beer or an Ale.   I am a little more than six months after surgery and I have not touched a soda, beer or any carbonated beverage.    I take an occasional  Cabernet in social drinking,  Water and Crystal light ( red raspberry ice ) is my new drink, but I am only drinking maybe 40 oz. a day combined, which I know is not enough.

I like sugar free crush orange water enhancer.

I drink a rare diet coke but stirring the bubbles frequently to get rid of the bubbles

I think I'm lucky that I've never been much of a beer drinker, it was easy to give up. Soda was much harder.

Don't buy it!!! Go cold turkey! 

Start trying crystal lights, water, tea, coffee, etc. 

Is the caffeine forever? I miss my unsweetened green tea.

I think it depends on the person - I still have 2 coffees a day, it's the carbonation that should be gone forever.

I had a huge diet Pepsi habit and haven't had any since surgery.

I think it was a lot easier to give up because I can't drink with meals. I used to drink 3 or 4 glasses with meals.

It depends. Caffeine is a diuretic so if you are not drinking enough water and other fluids, you might become dehydrated. Always check with your surgeon.

^^^  What Spunky said  ^^^^

I was told that I could reintroduce caffeine when I was able to maintain the consumption of 2L+ of water daily. 

I gave up cold turkey the day I went to the WLS seminar. It was the only "food" thing I worried about and wanted to make sure I had practiced abstaining as long as possible. I would quit Diet Coke for months or even years at a time, but I would always end up going back. For me, the carbonation filled me up much more so than water, so I always came back looking for that full tummy feeling. Now a year out, I have had a couple whiskey and diet cokes with the bubbles mixed out. I don't have any interest in pop otherwise...my husband has some in the fridge now because we hosted a party and I am just annoyed in how much room it takes up :)

I really thought I was going to have a horrid time giving up carbonation and caffeine, but I didn't.  I gave up the soda easy, no prob there.  But, when I was told to give up my southern sweet tea I was horrified.  I am a southern girl, I have sweet tea in my veins.  I went from drinking sweet tea to drinking splenda tea to nothing now.  

I drink water flavored with either propel or crystal light and that is it.  I sometimes drink decaf coffee for a warm beverage.

One day I guess a year post band surgery I was working in the yard all hot and sweaty, my husband came out drinking a Dt. Mt. Dew and I grabbed it and slugged a couple of swallows- I thought I would die.  That was the very last time soda crossed my lips.

My program says to avoid it for the first 4-6 weeks after surgery because it can potentially irritate the stomach. Mixed research on the diuretic characteristics, I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle. I'm getting plenty of water so I don't worry about it. For me, tea has a much greater diuretic effect than coffee.

I MUST do this also. I am a Dr. Pepper lover!! I think I am going to have to gradually decrease and replace.. maybe 1st with unsweet tea.. and then water..

I was a diet coke addict. Maybe 6 cans/day. Really liked the taste and as many people believe or used to believe, diet soda was a feeble attempt at losing weight. My thinking was that as long as I was drinking diet coke, it was okay to eat a burger and fries.

What was I thinking? Embarrassing now to see I caught up I was in my rationalizations.