uglydude

How do you mix Protein Powder into Foods

I am hoping to add protein into foods like soupls, oatmeal, etc.

All of the protein powders I've seen require a large scoop to get the 20-30 g of protein desired. Also, if you add it to items that will reach over 140F then the texture changes.

How do you all add protein to foods so that it doesnt feel like pudding if it is supposed to be brothlike or oatmealy?

I'll add half a scoop of powder or even 1/4 scoop to see how much will fit in and be palatable. If you do this over the course of the day it definitely adds up. Add the protein to your individual portion right before eating. That way, you don't have to worry about the temp being too hot :) Best of luck to you.

Thanks Laurie,
What foods do you add your powder to? I am also looking for recipe ideas :)

The unjury chicken broth is fantastic in mashed cauliflower.    It's also amazing when used in egg drop soup.  Premix any protein powder with just enough water or milk to be able to stir it to a thick consistency, then you can put it into hotter beverages than 140 degrees. 

I have unjury protein unflavored, but they make chicken broth? I never knew that :) How'd I miss that?????

keep the recipes comin please!

It's really easy to add protein powder to greek yogurt, I prefer Fage 0% because you are already getting quite a bit of protein and the only sugars and carbs come from the lactose. I will say you do have to pay attention to the texture of the protein powder, I've found Tera's whey to be the most mixable in things as it is very fine. And you can always freeze it :)It easily adds to oatmeal & cottage cheese too.

Experimentation is the key here. It's an adventure and you will discover combinations you like and others that you hate. I recently made frozen yogurt pops with a 6 oz. container of fage 0%, 1 T. salted caramel mocha coffee creamer, liquid stevia to taste-liquid stevia and me are very close pals :), and 1/2 scoop of Tera's Bourbon Vanilla Protein. Love, love, love them. This recipe makes 4 2 oz. bars. You can find the popsicle molds online or at your grocery store. The recipe board on here can help as well as EggFace's blog-Jolls posted a link not too long ago.

Enjoy your journey!

I have unjury protein unflavored, but they make chicken broth? I never knew that :) How'd I miss that?????

yep, and it tastes like the broth from Lipton Noodle soup! 

I recommend keeping on hand Unjury Chicken Broth flavor, an unflavored that does reasonably well in reasonably hot foods (I like Isopure and many swear by Any Whey,) and a chocolate that does well in hot foods (I prefer Isopure Dutch Chocolate).

The chicken flavor goes well in savory foods, unflavored is neutral so you can add it to things like oatmeal, warm tea, and non-chocolate baked goods, and chocolate goes well added into coffee (think mocha!), pudding, and Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa.

Also, as others have suggested, start small. I started adding just a teaspoon or two at a time and worked my way up to larger amounts as I got used to the flavor and texture.

Definitely check out the Eggface blog for recipes and tips and look into her PROTEIN ICE CREAM recipes (yummmm!) Bariatric Foodie also has some good recipes.

Here's a link to a similar thread that may have some other tips:

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/76793-cooking-with-protein-powder/?hl=%2Bprotein+%2Bpowder+%2Bhot+%2Bcooking

On the rare occasions I have oatmeal (just had some this weekend in fact) I make the oatmeal first then add 1/2 a scoop of powder (peanut butter!) to it and a tablespoon of chia seeds.  Since I already make my oatmeal thick, I don't find it changes the texture at all.

Adding to coffee or something hot usually you make the thing first then gradually add/mix the powder in so it doesn't clump.

I knew I cold count on all y'all!

thanks so much

i love all you ladies so much!!!

The unjury chicken broth is fantastic in mashed cauliflower.    It's also amazing when used in egg drop soup.  Premix any protein powder with just enough water or milk to be able to stir it to a thick consistency, then you can put it into hotter beverages than 140 degrees. 

This is exactly what I do.  I mixed some unflavored unjury into chocolate pudding last night and it was really good.  

This is exactly what I do.  I mixed some unflavored unjury into chocolate pudding last night and it was really good.  

CC, Im diggin the new picture :)

so, what I am hearing here (or I shoul say "reading here") is that addig protein to pudding makes pudding good for you?

YES!!!!

That unjury chicken broth is the single best thing I have ever tasted in my entire life. And that's because it's the first thing I was allowed to drink post op....after three entire days of not eating/drinking a single thing. Lol. I will never forget how delicious that moment was....literally and figuratively

it was a standby for me in the first year - I still add it to soups. I love it added to hot and sour soup - like HC said, make a slurry with protein powder and room temp liquid and get it nice and smooth, then add it to anything :)

Aviator told me to make a slurry with syntrax cherry and add to my fage yogurt - yeah, he was right, it's flippin awesome.

Does anyone know anything about Genepro protein powder?  It is unflavored and claims to have 30 grams of protein in a tablespoon.  I did buy some and have used it in many foods, it is indeed tasteless.  I haven't had my first blood test to see where I am with protein so just curious if anyone has heard of it or use it also.