charzee

In need of some support

I am 6 days away from one of the biggest life changing choices I will ever make and I'm scared to death! I would love to hear everyone's success stories and maybe find a few friends that have nearby surgery dates.

I am 6 days away from one of the biggest life changing choices I will ever make and I'm scared to death! I would love to hear everyone's success stories and maybe find a few friends that have nearby surgery dates.

I had my sleeve on 1/8/14 and exactly on my 9 month surgiversary I was down 100 lbs.

Having the sleeve was definitely life changing. Some hard moments but absolutely worth it.

Best wishes.

I just had my sleeve done on Tues, 10/7 and came home yesterday. I can honestly say I have had very little discomfort. A little nausea, a little gas, some itchy stitches but no -what I would consider-pain. I kinda felt like I had done too many crunches but that's gone now too. Everyone has a different pain threshold of course but this went better than I could have hoped. I am 65 and have 5 of the co morbidities (blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol,' etc) that get us seniors so that is why I chose to do this. I'm sure there will be challenges in the future but so far it has gone really well.

Take the pain and nausea meds they offer you. You don't get extra credit for trying to tough it out. And a positive mental attitude really does help.

Good luck.

It is normal to feel that way.  But is even scarier to go through the emotional and physical  co-morbid conditions caused by obesity.   I am  5 months out, and I regret not making the decision earlier.  Literally, I was born again!!!.   I have resuscitated and the thing that amazes me the most is that after losing 60lbs, some people are shocked at the transformation.  It is rewarding to see how the self confidence comes back to the psych.   Don't go by the numbers on the scale, but by the way clothes begin to fit.  That my dear is the  propelling motivation that pushes u to keep going because it is the REALIZATION of  knowing that you/we are winning the WAR against  Obesity.

In the process you will have your ups and downs, but you will learn:

The  5 stages of change along with the 5 stages of GRIEF 

How to respect Foods.

How to make healthier choices

How to plan your meals, After all u can will only be able to eat but so much,  Decision making will become a skill.  

How to say NO to POISONOUS/DEVIL foods.  ( carbs, icecream, all the bad stuff that taste so delicious) 

How to relapse and how to utilize relapse prevention strategies to avoid future relapses

How to identify high risk situations ( emotions, get togethers, social events, stressful situations ) 

HOW to appreciate the changes in your Body

How to accept compliments from other people. 

How not to feel emotionally deprived.  

HOW TO rediscover and know THE PERSON WITHIN YOU THAT has HIDING FOR SO MANY YEARS.    :)

YOU ARE MAKING THE MOST IMPORTANT DECISION of YOUR LIFE.  YOU WONT REGRET IT. 

PS.. go on you tube, and see the before and after pictures, videos, documentary of people who had bariatric surgery as well as the weeks, days,  month by month and years by years  post ops.  It is really gratifying.  You are not alone.  U have an entire community supporting you!!

Edited by NuttyMoonBride

I just had my sleeve done on Tues, 10/7 and came home yesterday. I can honestly say I have had very little discomfort. A little nausea, a little gas, some itchy stitches but no -what I would consider-pain. I kinda felt like I had done too many crunches but that's gone now too. Everyone has a different pain threshold of course but this went better than I could have hoped. I am 65 and have 5 of the co morbidities (blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol,' etc) that get us seniors so that is why I chose to do this. I'm sure there will be challenges in the future but so far it has gone really well.

Take the pain and nausea meds they offer you. You don't get extra credit for trying to tough it out. And a positive mental attitude really does help.

Good luck.

My stats are close to yours.

I am down 100 pounds in 9 months

Best wishes on your journey.

My surgery was not quite 13 months ago. I was terrified and wasn't even sure I was going to go through with it until they put me under. I went from 310 to 170. I was wearing 20s & 22s and now I'm in 8s and 10s. Since surgery I've been to a climbing wall, taken exercises classes at a trampoline park, run a mile, started learning to scuba, can climb 20 flights on the stairmaster in just over 4 minutes, ride rollercoasters and that's not my full list of physical accomplishments. I lost 45.2% of my body weight and 14" off my waist. Everyone tells me I look younger and I feel great. I am no longer the fattest person in the room. While all of this is great, by far, the best part for me is that I have freedom from my food obsession. I no longer ride the daily roller coaster of: what to eat, when to eat, eating too much, feeling badly about eating too much, hating the way I look and feeling worse and then eating more to make myself feel better. 

Getting a sleeve is the best decision I have ever made. 

Follow your drs orders. Come here for support if you have questions and you'll be fine. In one month you'll be surprised at how much you've lost. In 6 months your life will be very different. In a year, where your body is today will be a distant memory. Good Luck!!!!

Edited to include - and for the first time in my life, I like my body. I have some loose skin but it doesn't really bother me. What I have now is SO MUCH better than what I had a year ago, I don't even care that its not perfect (or close to it.) I dress for my shape and cover what I don't want people to see and feel confident in clothes. 

Edited by Stephtay

I had sleeve approaching 2 years ago and over all (counting pre-op loss) I've lost 233lbs.  I lost 168lbs from day of surgery till the one year mark.  I did aquire GERD after the sleeve, which is rather common, but I've been lucky and mine went away after about 8 months (which is double the amount of time that is "normal" for people).   There is really nothing to be scared of, you will do great!