• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About ThriftyTheresa

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Seattle, WA


  • Surgeon
    Dr. Brian Sung
  • Hospital
    Swedish Medical Center
  • Height (ft-in)
  • Start Weight
  • Current Weight
  • Surgery Date
  • Surgery Type
    Gastric Bypass
  • Surgeon
    Dr. Brian Sung

Recent Profile Visitors

1,283 profile views
  1. ThriftyTheresa

    5 month update

    Everything is going well. I'm currently weighing 240lbs. That's 113lbs down form my highest weight. 66lbs down since surgery. Average 13lbs loss per month. Pretty good. I had my 100 day post-op checkup with my clinic last month. Checked in with the nutritionist, psych, and nurse provider. Everyone was pleased with me. I'm pleased with myself. Sometimes I feel like I'm losing too slow and sometimes I feel like I'm losing too fast. I'm just grateful to be losing anything at all. Currently I'm in size 20W pants. Down from a tight 28W last year. Size 20W has always been my "lowest" size as an adult. I think I was a size 18W in Jr. High school. As an adult, whenever I would lose weight I usually made it down to a 20W and then the weight would slowly creep up and so would the pants size. Size 20W is my comfort zone. I love me at this size. I feel great at this size. I love the way I look at this size. I get compliments at this size. Men notice me (and smile at me) when I'm this size. Feeling so good about being this size is probably why I would start slacking off on my diet or stop exercising in the past which would cause me to start gaining again. I have no intention of slacking off on my diet this time around. But I don't know what the future holds for me once I get to size 18W. It's going to be a whole new world for me. I'm feeling pretty blessed overall. I was reading some posts/blogs and watching some WLS youtube people and see a lot of post-op folks struggling. I'm grateful I have not had any further complications since recovering from the surgery. I have not had any more problems with constipation. I am not having any problems eating anything (except lactose). I don't have nausea problems or vomiting (unless I get too much lactose). My biggest hurdle is still not eating often enough because I never feel hungry. And my second hurdle would be not eating enough when I am eating. I get disappointed with eating. I don't get much joy out of it before. It's a job now. Even if I'm eating something really tasty, I can only eat 1/2 cup. I miss the days when I could pig out and lick the plate clean. That's not my life anymore. I get sad about it sometimes. But I've also been really happy trying new foods and finding protein products that are tasty. It's a fine-line balance of happy/sad when it comes to food. I'm sure we're all going through that rollercoaster. Other than all that, life is good. I took a brief vacation to Las Vegas. Had the joy of not needing a seat belt extender and could even cross my legs AND use the tray table. Ate some nice meals at fancy places - cheaply! - during happy hour. Perfect for appetizer portions and inexpensive. I did try some wine. Wine is delicious. I can sip a glass of wine for an hour, enjoy being social. I never once felt sick, or overly intoxicated, and I can go to bed sober and wake up feeling good. Wine could be slippery slope for me because I love it so much so I will have to make this a "special occasion" treat and not a frequent thing. Empty calories and potential for abuse if I indulge too much. So that's the update. I have my 6-month checkup in January. I will be doing my blood/lab work for the first time to make sure my vitamins and all that stuff is correct. Then I won't see the docs again until my 1 year appointment in July. Ta ta for now!
  2. ThriftyTheresa

    3 month update

    Yesterday, the 10th, would be my 3 month surgiversary. It honestly seems like so much longer than 3 months, but it is just 3 months. I've lost 48lbs since Surgery day. I'm close to 100lbs down from my highest weight in 2015. I haven't decided how or when to celebrate milestones. 100lbs since highest weight, 100lbs since starting weight, 100bs since surgery? I guess I'll just celebrate them all when the milestone arrives. Why the heck not. I won't have my appointment with my surgical clinic until next month but I did see my primary doctor last week. She's super happy with my progress. All of my bloodwork was good. My A1C is down to 5.1 so I am no longer considered pre-diabetic. It was 6.1 when I started this whole process last year. My cholesterol is down so we don't have to talk about cholesterol meds that she was threatening me with last year. My blood pressure is still not perfect, but it's no longer dangerous. She's keeping me on a 5mg pill (instead of the 40mg I have been on for years) for the next 6 months just to be safe. I can't wait until I can officially be off my blood pressure meds. That's going to be the biggest and happiest goal once the time comes. I'm down to a pants size loose 22W from a starting size of tight 28Ws. All my 4x tops have gone away to charity. I'm still wearing 3X tops because they are comfortable, but I could probably get away with 2x or 1x in some styles. I haven't done my measurements in a while, but with my bras being completely loose and ineffective, I know I've shrunk. I need to buy new bras. The bane of the female existence. Overall health has been OK. I did go through about 4 weeks of really uncomfortable abdominal pain and discomfort that has finally gone away. Originally I thought I was getting a hernia but then the symptoms changed and my whole abdomen was swelling up. I wasn't constipated, daily BMs, but my guts were swelling up full of gas and I could not pass gas/fart if my life depended on it. It was very uncomfortable for a very long time. We finally chalked it up to lactose intolerance. I've dramatically cut dairy out of my diet and I have not had any more gas pains for nearly 2 weeks. It's been great being able to sleep comfortably at night when it doesn't feel like your guts are going to explode like an Alien chest-burster. But I do miss cheese. Eating has been fine. I don't have anything that my stomach is averted to, except dairy I guess. I can eat chicken, fish, shrimp, beef, beans, and I've been experimenting with vegan proteins. Still having mental problems with food variety. I don't want to eat the same thing every day, or even every other day, so my fridge and freezer are stocked full of healthy things so I have some variety in my life. I just have to be mindful not to be too wasteful with leftovers. The hair loss has begun. But I know this is normal so it's not freaking me out - yet. I'm blessed with long, thick hair so I'm not seeing any bald spots, thankfully. But WOW so much hair comes out of my head every day. As soon as October started the hair has been coming out like crazy. Again, I knew this was coming and I know it will eventually stop so I'm not freaking out. Yet. I've stopped going to the Overeaters Anonymous meetings. I simply found them too cult-like. Always reading the same material. Everyone saying the same thing "I'm working the steps. So grateful to my higher power." But no one is saying ANYTHING of substance. They're just regurgitating dogma from the program and complaining about their miserable lives which then drives them to food. Absolutely no one seems happy! Since I'm not struggling with food, at the moment, I've decided to stop worrying about it. I don't see how listening to people beat themselves up for their poor food choices is doing me any good. Frankly, I don't know if it's doing them any good. All I know is I was getting nothing but frustrated in that "woe is me" environment. Peace out. Ummm...I think that's pretty much everything as far as a life update goes. I'm just chugging along. Happy for the most part. I've got about 3 weeks before things start getting busy and crazy at work so I'm just going to ride this wave of feeling normal as long as I can for as far as it will take me.
  3. ThriftyTheresa

    Weigh In Surprise

    Good job! Nothing wrong with future talk. You got your eyes on the prize. Keep looking to the future because it's going to be a good one!
  4. ThriftyTheresa

    Day 31 - Psych follow-up

    I completely identify with you in every aspect of this post. We have monthly support group meetings at my hospital and 90% of the patients are sleevers. I had RNY. I also get completely dumbfounded by people who have undergone a serious surgical procedure and make little effort to change their bad eating habits, like your donut lady and the pizza people. All I can do when I see and hear stuff like this is just to take big deep breath, a big sip of water, and be thankful that it's not me making these poor choices. Good job on keeping yourself in check, sticking to your goals and focusing on what's important. Let the annoying people in that group be an example of what NOT to do while you continue rocking!
  5. ThriftyTheresa

    ThriftyTheresa 1 Year Surgiversary!

    One year ago today - can't wait to see where I will be in that time.
  6. ThriftyTheresa

    Overeaters Anonymous & WLS - Taboo?

    I went to a different OA meeting this weekend and it was a completely different experience. The OA meeting I have attended a few times has been a very small group of just 4 people in total. I travelled to a different neighborhood Saturday to try out another group and it was HUGE! 40+ people! Slightly different format but I enjoyed it. Other than introducing myself as a newcomer in the beginning of the meeting I chose not to share more about myself and that has been bothering me ever since. Perhaps because it was my first meeting this this huge group I was a little intimidated, but I'm NOT a shy person. I can talk to anybody and everybody, I just chose not to share and, in retrospect, I really should have. I've gone to enough meetings now to feel comfortable with the program but I'm not sure where I fit in as a WLS patient and a Compulsive Overeater. I've been hesitant to bring up WLS because it can be such a polarizing subject. Everybody and their mother has an opinion about WLS whether they have had it themselves or not. Also, it hasn't been brought up by anyone else and hasn't fit in with any of the topics we've talked about in the groups. People have shared deeply personal stored about binge eating, seeking food for comfort, and all the usual traps of compulsive overeating. One of my issues I'm dealing with is NOT feeling hungry. How many eyes are going to roll when I say "I forget to eat." when everyone else is talking about eating constantly? But, we're all here to get help, right, so I shouldn't care what people think. Maybe there are others like me and I just don't know it. WLS it's part of me now and it directly affects my relationship with food and eating so I need to be open about my WLS or I may not get any benefit of going to these meetings if I continue to neglect the topic. It's coming to the point where I need to look into finding an OA sponsor and it would be wonderful if I could find a sponsor who has also had WLS. I'm never going to find the right sponsor unless I put myself out there 100% and be honest.
  7. ThriftyTheresa

    The good news is I don't have a hernia

    The bad news is, I feel like I have a hernia. I went to the surgery clinic yesterday after work to have a checkup. For the past week I've had some uncomfortable feelings on the left side of my abdomen just a little lower than my incisions, to the left side of my navel. It hurts every time I sit down, get up, bend over, turn over in bed, or even just adjusting myself in my chair. There is no obvious bulging like a hernia, but something is moving around in there and it tweaks, twists, tugs, and hasn't gotten any better in an entire week. The PA I saw poked and prodded all my belly areas and ruled out an internal hernia and decided that it is a buildup of scar tissue and possibly some internal stitches that are sewn into the muscle tugging around. She said to massage the area to help break up the hard tissue but it could take months before the feeling will go away. When I press on it and massage it like suggested it basically feels like pressing a huge bruise. But there is no bruising on the surface. Thankfully it's not painful. Just uncomfortable. As long as my guts aren't going to burst through my navel when I bend over to feed the cat I will be just fine.
  8. ThriftyTheresa

    Seven months!

    First off - congratulations on your progress! Secondly, it's wonderful to hear that you are doing well in Oman. Some real huge changes in your life and you are rolling with it and making it work for you. Kudos!
  9. ThriftyTheresa


    Awesome! Great job! How fun!
  10. ThriftyTheresa

    Trying out Overeaters Anonymous

    I'm only 2 months out from my surgery, but I am feeling some emotional ways about food lately. 2 weeks ago I went to an Overeaters Anonymous meeting and went again this week as well. I figured this would been a good weekly supplement to my monthly support group meetings at the hospital. I love our hospital meetings and look forward to them every month. But then there's the 3-4 weeks between meetings where I feel I could use a little support. Sometime last year I briefly looked into seeing a therapist, outside of the psychologist they have on staff at my clinic, but I never felt comfortable with the place I tried and the therapist didn't have much background with eating disorders, let alone weight loss surgery, and I never went out of my way to try another therapist. Mostly due to laziness, and I wasn't struggling very much so it really would have been a waste of money. So what's going on in my head? I mentioned in my last post that I'm feeling the need to grocery shop and buy a lot of things for variety in my diet. That happened big time this weekend. My freezer and fridge are packed full of yummy, healthy, protein-rich food. What's the problem? I can't eat it all so why am I buying it? I am becoming a food hoarder. I'm not binging on the food, it's just sitting in the fridge. I can only eat tiny portions of anything so why am I buying all this food in bulk? Most of it is frozen food so it will last a while, but there's no reason I need to have this much food in my fridge and every day I think of something else I'd like to buy - it just popped into my head while writing this that I'd like to get some ground turnkey to make taco meat. But I have too much food already! I don't need to buy more! Before surgery my fridge and freezer were mostly bare because I'd eat out, or pick up something from the deli, occasional fast food. Now I have more food than I can reasonably handle. So far Overeaters Anonymous is not really helping with my shopping frenzy. After the meeting on Sunday I went to church and after church I went to Trader Joe's and bought more stuff. I don't go to Trader Joe's very often so it was exciting to see all the new stuff they have. I went in there to get ONE THING and I left with a full basket and an almost $50 bill. Ridiculous. I don't know if the Overeaters Anonymous thing is going to be something I will stick with, but it's pretty clear I have some compulsive behavior with food so I'm hopeful the meetings can assist. But, just like with finding a therapist, I need to find a meeting that is right for me. The two meetings I went to were at an easy location for met to get to, but it has been a very small group of just 4 people each time. We take turns reading out loud from the OA books and we can briefly comment on what we are readings. We're only allowed to "share" our issues for 3 minutes and we can't "cross-talk" which means you can't comment on what another person is saying. So there's really no support/help being offered by the participants. You just say what you want to say and everyone says "thank you for sharing" and that's it. I haven't even brought up this topic of food hoarding yet because it's never been close to the topic we are talking about. It's a very ridged structure and not as free-flowing as I would like a group-therapy-type thing to be. I've been told there are other meetings in other neighborhoods which have different formats so I need to try those and see if there is something that I am looking for. Thankfully it is free. So that's what's going on at the moment.
  11. ThriftyTheresa

    Almost 2-month Post-Op Update

    Thank you to Jen581791 for sending me a message checking up on me. I hadn't realized it had been so long since I did an update. It's been almost 2 months since my surgery and everything is going well. I have gotten into a good groove of working, living, eating. As far as victories go, I have lost 28lbs since surgery day. I've gone down 2 pant sizes and just gave a big clothing donation to a local charity shop. I haven't purchased any "new" clothes yet. I'm swimming in all of my blouses/tops and I am on the tightest settings of my bras so I will need to bite the bullet and get some things that fit soon. I've successfully navigated eating out with friends twice. It was nice having a bill less than $10 when everyone else at the table had bills of $20-30 because they were eating full dinner servings, alcohol, and dessert. I was a little taken aback when having a 1-on-1 dinner with a friend that she ordered and ate a dessert dish right in front of me. I was triggered with envy to say the least but I didn't let it get to me, I didn't even address it with her. I can't be food-police to other people. I can only police myself. When she offered me a bite I said "No thanks" and that was very hard to do. My other victory is I am officially off my blood pressure medication. About 3 weeks ago I started getting dizzy spells and almost fainting when standing up. I stopped taking my blood pressure pill for a couple days and went to the doctor. She said my blood pressure was no longer high enough to warrant the high-dose medication I was on. She decided I didn't need a lesser dose, that because I am still losing weight she didn't see the need to have me take anything. I'll follow up with her again in a month just to make sure I'm still good. I'm struggling with a few mental things but nothing terrible. Mostly I am obsessing a little with food variety. I know I can only eat tiny servings of anything, but I have a full freezer and refrigerator of food because I don't want to eat the same things all the time. I feel the need to go grocery shopping all the time. But in my defense, I am buying and trying a lot of new things including vegan protein options which I have started to really enjoy. I have also cooked some "large" meals for my father. I've eaten my portion, kept a portion of leftovers, and sent the rest of the meal home with Dad. He's appreciative of the extra food and I am appreciative for eating something other than yogurt. So that's what's been going on with me. I'm feeling good. Happy with my progress. I have my 3-month appointment with my surgeon next month. I'll try to get an update out around then. Thanks for reading!
  12. ThriftyTheresa

    Surgery 7/10 - Long overdue update

    Sorry it's taken this long for me to get an update out. Let's just say it's been a difficult and exhausting process to get myself back to "normal" since my surgery on 7/10. This week I can safely say that I am feeling good. The last 4 weeks though have been hard. Surgery itself went well, according to the surgeons. I was at the hospital Monday-Wednesday, released late Wednesday afternoon. I don't think I was taken care of very well in the hospital and that caused problems for me when I got home. At the hospital I was rarely given the opportunity to walk around the halls. During the daytime, my assigned nurse only checked up on me when I called him to use the bathroom and he would complain constantly about being so busy, so busy, so busy. The printed message on my room's wall said daytime nurses should check on patients every hour. He'd drop off pain meds and change my IV bag every 5 hours. He wouldn't let me walk the halls by myself and was too busy to walk with me. The nighttime nurses were better and I was able to walk a few times before bedtime. Trust me, I have complained to the hospital about this daytime nurse and his lack of assistance for me. Because I wasn't able to get up and walk while in the hospital, when I got home Wednesday I weighed 30lbs heavier than the morning I checked in for surgery. THIRTY POUNDS of gas and water and swelling. My belly was distended so far out I looked 9 months pregnant and had painful stretch marks that I never had on my body before. With all this swelling and distention, it was impossible for me to get comfortable anywhere - bed, couch, chairs. That first night at home was one of the most painful and uncomfortable experiences of my life. Honestly, the only comfortable sitting place I could find was my bathroom toilet. During the night, I sat there for a long time and slept a few minutes without discomfort. I had a hard time getting fluids in. I felt (and still feel) a lot of restriction in my pouch. Taking more than 1 sip every 5 minutes was difficult. Because I couldn't get much water or much protein drink in I was very weak. Feeling weak and dizzy did not help when it comes to getting up and walking. So the rest of the week and the weekend I just tried to stay comfortable and pray that the swelling in my abdomen would go down. Wednesday of the following week I was feeling a little better and sent my Dad back to his home because I thought I was doing better and could take care of myself. Then Thursday evening I started vomiting and had severe diarrhea. I was only drinking water and protein water (not milky protein) but it would all come up. I would have a round of vomiting and toilet time then I would fall asleep for a couple hours. I'd wake up, drink some more, vomit some more, go back to sleep. This routine continued all through the night. I thought about going to the emergency room but the idea of going back to the hospital was terrifying for me. When my Dr's office opened in the morning I called and spoke to my surgeon's PA. Since I did not have a fever it didn't seem like I had any infections. She prescribed me some anti-nausea medication and I was able to get my father to go pick it up and come back to help me. Once I was on the anti-nausea meds the vomiting stopped. The diarrhea also stopped because I didn't have anything else to give. The medication came with the side effect of sleeping so I continued my cycle of sleeping and waking up to drink a little but I really couldn't sit up more than 20 minutes or so. My eyes hurt like I had a migraine. It's obvious I was seriously dehydrated. I wasn't getting enough in and couldn't stay awake long enough to drink more. So for 3 days I basically stayed in my dark bedroom sleeping. On Monday the 24th I was determined to get out of bed. I had my post-op appointment the next day, Tuesday, and I needed to get some strength back in order to go to that appointment. My Dad was really helpful during all this time. I wouldn't have been able to do it without him. When we saw the Dr. on Tuesday I was back down to the same weight I was when I checked in for surgery. The swelling in my abdomen greatly reduced during all that sick time. We talked about the situation with the vomiting and how I'm not staying awake long enough to do anything. And I was supposed to return to work the following week. I didn't think I would get able to get the strength. They gave me the go ahead to advance my diet to soft foods and ordered me to get up and walk more. Starting to eat foods really helped increase my energy. I also stopped taking the nausea pill because it was making me sleep too much. Walking was so hard because I was so physically weak but me and Dad took little walks around the block and each day I was able to walk more and more. I spent the week trying my best to drink as much as possible and eating yogurts, cottage cheese, and eggs. I felt stronger each day. Monday the 31st I had to go back to work. That was the end of my "disability" time at work and I would be penalized if I did not return. That day was a huge challenge. I packed all my foods and drinks and made my way in. I was still very weak, tired, and my brain didn't even want to function. But thankfully I have a desk job so once I got to my desk I could just relax a little, breath, drink, and breath some more. I'm grateful it was a relatively slow day at work so I didn't have a lot of calls to handle, and I could just take my time with the work I needed to do. When I got home that day I was exhausted to the max. I had some more cottage cheese and went to bed almost immediately. Each day at work got a little better. I actually think having the routine of work helped me a lot with my eating schedule and that helped me a lot with building up stamina and strength. This is almost the end of my 2nd week back at work - and my 1 month anniversary of having the surgery. I am 20lbs down from surgery day. That makes 62lbs down since I started this process last September. I do feel almost completely "normal" again. I have not had any more vomiting. I still have bowel problems from time to time but it's easier to figure out what causes that based on what I am eating. I'm still mostly living off yogurt and cottage cheese. I can't believe I'm not sick of those yet. But I have been trying to introduce new foods each day and have tolerated most everything. I can eat chicken, tuna, chili, lunch meats and cheeses. All in very tiny portions, of course. This is my new "normal". Now that I am out of the woods, the worst is behind me, and I can focus on the happy and healthy future.
  13. ThriftyTheresa

    ThiftyTheresa's Surgery!

    Sorry I've been MIA. Surgery was fine but I had a pretty brutal 2 weeks of recovery. 3rd week I started to get better. I'm in week 4 now and back at work. I'll post more in a blog post later when have more time. It was quite challenging, but every day is getting better. Thanks for thinking of me.
  14. ThriftyTheresa

    ThiftyTheresa's Surgery!

    Cool Jen! Nice to meet a "local"!
  15. ThriftyTheresa

    Adventures in public eating

    Great job on the eating out! Everything you had sounds delicious. If you were at the convention center in Seattle I work 2 blocks away. I imagine I know which restaurants you went to within walking distance. The Thai place is a favorite of my workplace. I'll keep in mind that the fried tofu should be stayed away from. I LOVE Indian food and look forward when I can enjoy that again. Kudos for staying away from the naan. That is going to be hard for me. Yay for cheese plates and Yay for bringing all your snacks with you to stay full and energetic.