• entries
    36
  • comments
    343
  • views
    1,835

An update.....and my new job

CheeringCJ

201 views

So, I haven't been here much (nor will I be able to during the day)....as I started my NEW JOB this week! I love it and I love the extra money/perks/benefits/PTO (which I didn't get when I had my surgery!).  Better than that, I love being at a place they didn't know me as morbidly obese....afterall, my current BMI is 30, down from 42!!!!  I love dressing in real clothes and not hating my new ID pic bc of my double (triple) chin!  I love fitting in ONLY my side of the seat on the train....and not looking for the tiniest person to sit next to so we could both fit comfortably.   I feel good and professional and though I am not on the floor with my special ed kids (whom I miss terribly!), I am happy where I am at today, part in thanks to my different attitude/life that changed w/ my surgery!

I also got a haircut (warning, be careful not to do it on a whim and rush to get it done at the salon at Walmart bc you need it IMMEDIATELY....bad judgement, bad haircut) BUT in all honesty, having it shorter (reverse bob) has made it feel like it stopped falling out. I am sure it didn't cure it but it is so much less noticeable....I haven't seen a single hair on my shirt....and nothing in my drain.  I have been using the collagen (someone here mentioned).  So between the haircut (which means there are less tangles to yank w/ the brush and pull out hair) and the collagen I am doing MUCH better on the baldness! :)  BTW, I also dyed it 2 wks ago...I had stopped doing that at 2 months so I didn't ruin it, but I read extensively that that wouldn't make it fall out any more or less, and the roots were getting pretty bad so I was glad to do it (I got the kind that was "gentle" w/ avocado oils or something).  I also started using (since my cut) this Pantene Booster Spray ($4 Amazon) which has made my hair appear MUCH thicker!!! yeah!

Also I have worn my first shapewear.....it wasn't comfy but I looked much better! (highwaisted underwear type....my rough spots are my abdomen, upper and lower)  The only problem is that i need a full body shapewear, because where it stops, everything buldges out (ok so that is an exaggeration but still, it gave me slight "saddlebags" after I put them on.  I didn't want to get the kind that goes down your leg (like biking shorts) because I was afraid it would leave a mark on my thigh that you could see through my pants.

So that is the latest with me....7# from my Dr's goal weight which I was hoping to reach by my 6th month anniversary but I won't make it at this point (thanks to how terrible my last month was!) but I am okay bc I know I am not done yet!

I will check in when I can....(weekends/evenings).  

 

Pantene Powerful Body Booster Spray 5.7 oz



10 Comments


Recommended Comments

Congrats and best of luck at your new job! Starting fresh at a place where no one remembers what you looked like pre-op is great - no one checking up on you ;) 

I’m glad your new haircut is helping with the hair fall, even if it’s not exactly the cut you were hoping for. It’s hair. It’ll grow.

Shapewear does tend to create its own problems, doesn’t it! So useful in feeling comfortable for many, though. 

Share this comment


Link to comment

It's great to hear the new job is working out so well! 

I have been debating a haircut to lessen the effects of the hair loss; it took my three years to get my hair to my collarbone, so I'm really hesitant - but I know shorter means it will look thicker and you arent the first to mention that a cut seemed to slow the loss! I'm glad you talked about it here. 

7 pounds from your docs goal weight - wow! You're kicking butt and taking names. Get it, CJ!

Share this comment


Link to comment

I am so happy that you like your new job.  It truly is amazing to go into a place where no one knows that you used to be overweight, as you get treated like a normal weight person rather than as an overweight person or as an overweight person who lost weight.

I totally understand how you miss your special education kids.  My wife is an 8th grade special education teacher, and her positive focus on her "kids" is both clear and wonderful to see.

Your hair probably will get much fuller over the next year.

Finally, as you continue to drop in weight and approach your gaol weight, I am very much looking forward to welcoming you to the "Maintenance Cafe" and to the "Maintenance" part of TTF. :)

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/25/2018 at 10:08 PM, Jen581791 said:

Congrats and best of luck at your new job! Starting fresh at a place where no one remembers what you looked like pre-op is great - no one checking up on you ;) 

I’m glad your new haircut is helping with the hair fall, even if it’s not exactly the cut you were hoping for. It’s hair. It’ll grow.

Shapewear does tend to create its own problems, doesn’t it! So useful in feeling comfortable for many, though. 

Thanks, it is nice to have a fresh start, Jen, kind of like moving half way around the world to a place no one has ever seen you anything but thin ;) It is refreshing!  

My hair is amzingly thicker right now, and I have no idea why.  I get occaisional pieces of it in my hands while washing it but nothing like the handsfuls I was getting when it was longer.  You will see it next week in my 6 month post....I'll look thinner and w/ shorter hair (hopefully it will grow a little before then...haha!)

The shapewear was worth it on a few things (the ones that cling to my stomach)....when I had my second baby (who was a 9#, 3 weeks, 4 days late baby), I ended up with stretch marks ABOVE my navel....which resulted in very bumpy skin once he was out (and I never got anymore w/ the 3 kids after him...I think he stretched me to my max and the other kids just had room! ha!).  So, that "roll" above my waist is smaller but still just as lumpy so I need the highwaisted shapewhere for that on slightly clingy things.  The problem was (and I know this is so gross, so I do apologize)...it held my skin down....and I looked much better BUT it held it so close to me that I really ended up breaking down my skin and am putting the medicated powder on it now to heal it, but know I know to do that PRIOR to using shapewear next time!)

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/26/2018 at 7:44 PM, kristinwitha_k said:

I'm so glad to hear how happy you are at your new job, CJ. I remember you talking about your old one around our surgery time, and you sounded like you felt really unappreciated there. Such a great development. 

I bought this piece of shapewear and I LOVE it. No bulging anywhere. https://www.onehanesplace.com/shop/onehanesplace/maidenform-body-briefer-m2057

Yep, I loved my kids and my coworkers, but wasn't compensated well so it is nice to have the pay and perks!

I do have a wear your own bra kind of top that goes down to my hips and I like that.  I looked yours up...but how does that work?  you have to hook/unhook it when you need to use the bathroom?  it that hard?

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/26/2018 at 7:47 PM, delilas said:

It's great to hear the new job is working out so well! 

I have been debating a haircut to lessen the effects of the hair loss; it took my three years to get my hair to my collarbone, so I'm really hesitant - but I know shorter means it will look thicker and you arent the first to mention that a cut seemed to slow the loss! I'm glad you talked about it here. 

7 pounds from your docs goal weight - wow! You're kicking butt and taking names. Get it, CJ!

Thanks, and I hope your new job is also working well for you!

I debated about my hair for a while.....it is normally thin and doesn't grow very fast and I feared if i cut it it would take years to grow back (plus a lot of mine are also going to have to grow from the scalp as they've long departed from the root!)  But the shorter hair is easier to style (which is less stress on my hair) and I didn't use the booster spray today and it still looked thicker!  It is pretty amazing!  I wish it wasn't quite as short but in a little bit when it is longer I will like it more...but for now I am just enjoying not being covered in hair! (not a single one on my black jacket all last week...and yes, I am still wearing a jacket....darned cool spring...but today was warm!)

yes I am getting close to his goal but I think I am going to shoot for a little more when I finally get there!  (tho if I never lost another pound, I'd still be happy at this weight!)

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

I am so happy that you like your new job.  It truly is amazing to go into a place where no one knows that you used to be overweight, as you get treated like a normal weight person rather than as an overweight person or as an overweight person who lost weight.

I totally understand how you miss your special education kids.  My wife is an 8th grade special education teacher, and her positive focus on her "kids" is both clear and wonderful to see.

Your hair probably will get much fuller over the next year.

Finally, as you continue to drop in weight and approach your gaol weight, I am very much looking forward to welcoming you to the "Maintenance Cafe" and to the "Maintenance" part of TTF. :)

It is so nice, as far as they know I am just a normal person...not "the fat girl" (or the "previous fat girl whom we have to watch to see if she gains it back!")

I do miss my kids....I cried terribly when I left...I held it together all day until I hugged the one that wouldn't understand I wouldn't be back and tears started streaming down my face.  After pulling myself together and then  saying goodbye to my colleagues I went to the car and just bawled!  Those kids have my heart for sure.  I struggled with the fact I was leaving the job not bc I hated it but bc the compensation was bad....but I know I made a difference there,....and I will make more money/etc but will I make a difference at my new job?  Not as much to individuals like w/ the kids but I will make a difference to my family (and paying bills!) and perhaps to my new coworkers/students (not special needs).

BTW, I have a special need child in 8th grade....if I lived in your town, your wife would be his teacher!  I am sending you a message to see if you can ask her some advice (if you both don't mind)

I am thinking my hair will get fuller when it starts to grow back too and pushes up underneath of it....which will be nice!

I am probably going to add (well, technically subtract) another 10# to my personal goal after I hit the dr's goal.  I'd love to be 170 and if I didn't lose more I'd still be happy but I would love to see if i can do 160 and maintain that!  And certainly I need the maintenance cafe bc that is the hard part....not reaching the goal, but staying there!

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, CheeringCJ said:

Yep, I loved my kids and my coworkers, but wasn't compensated well so it is nice to have the pay and perks!

I do have a wear your own bra kind of top that goes down to my hips and I like that.  I looked yours up...but how does that work?  you have to hook/unhook it when you need to use the bathroom?  it that hard?

You do have to unhook it to use the bathroom but I don't find it even remotely difficult to do, and I've still got plenty of pounds on you. Ha. I think you would be just fine. The edges are all non-elastic which is why no bulging. I wear it allll the time. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
14 hours ago, kristinwitha_k said:

You do have to unhook it to use the bathroom but I don't find it even remotely difficult to do, and I've still got plenty of pounds on you. Ha. I think you would be just fine. The edges are all non-elastic which is why no bulging. I wear it allll the time. 

that is great...thanks for the info!  i think you're right, the tight elastic holds the edges in and then the rests bursts forth beyond that strip!  I like the idea of yours...and i bet it is more comfy to wear

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now