Bunny-Perez

Anyone gone through a complete Reversal of their gastric bypass?

I had gastric bypass 2/1/12 (insert long story here) and had a full reversal to a "normal" stomach on 12/4/13 in the 22 months I lived with the gastric bupass I lost almost 200 lbs. some of that was by choice and some was from severe malnutrion.

I have maintained a healthy weight (I am 5'6 and. I weight 130) on my own using the lessons I learned from my surgery. The gastric bypass taught me the importance of taking care of myself and I am glad I had the surgery but it was almost 2 years of hell even though I was the poster girl for compliance to the plan...

wow, that is amazing.  so awesome that you have been able to maintain since the reversal.  the risk of severe malnutrition is exactly why i couldn't convince myself to do bypass even though wt wise i probably would have been better off having it instead of the sleeve.  i just was scared that i was doing it to have a better quality of life and that if i have the malnutrition that some end up with, that i would actually be doing to opposite.  Well i have no experience with the obviously, just wanted to say, Good Job!!

You're the first successful reversal I have seen. The docs have considered a reversal for me...but I'm afraid it would cause even more problems in the long run. 

You're the first successful reversal I have seen. The docs have considered a reversal for me...but I'm afraid it would cause even more problems in the long run. 

i Had my rny reversed and it was THE BEST  thing I could have had done for myself. while i'll never be as healthy as I  was pre rny I am soooooooooooooooo much better since my reversal. 

if you'd like to chat feel free to email me

imzadi@aol.com

grace

I have. I had it 3.5 years post op. I only originally lost 40 pounds and as with most people with or without weight loss surgery, watching what I eat and getting enough exercise . 

admittedly the surgery did mess with my metabolism and there was an adjustment period post reversal. I still get full easily but now I can actually eat lean meats, veggies and fruits, all things I couldn't eat for the 3.5 years I had my rny in place.

I was still obese, despite vomiting almost daily for 3.5 years and other than my teeth rotting out of my mouth the only other tangible fact that the surgery was damaging was a low b12. Eventually that came up but I still NEVER felt any different.

peripheral neuropathy

dizziness

seizures

unexplained pain

un yielding depression

fatigue to the point that even taking a shower seemed too daunting a task

memory  issues for both short and long term

mental processing speed in the 13th percentile

inability to read and comprehend even a paragraph

mental confusion

other than ignore my complaints the surgeon did nothing wrong. everything seemed to work perfectly mechanically. My body simply didn't like being cut up.

I too am looking for people with similar complications even if they didn't have a takedown. I'm trying to get OUR stories told. 

CLEARLY for the majority of people these types of surgeries work out wonderfully and their stories are told quite often. Now it is time for our stories to be told.

I'm filming a documentary and I'm looking for anyone willing to speak out, off or on camera or maybe just with audio. I want everyone to make a fully formed decision before their first incision. 

it's been a while and I had to create a new user name...my old one was onastartrek

please feel free to email me so we can pay it forward

imzadigrace@gmail.com

Grace

I had a reverse in 2013 after being almost 7 yrs out from RNY.  I have kept my weight off since my reverse as well. Reverses happen more than people speak about because people sometimes feel as they failed or like they don't fit in no more. I have felt those emotions and have tried to find people needing help and offer what ever support I can. We're out there I just wish more would speak out. My reverse saved my life as I'm sure it has many others.

Hi all,

I had a gastric bypass in November 2011 and although I wasn't extremely overweight I lost 44 pounds. (surgery was a conversation from lap band to bypass) Had complications from the beginning. Bloating, constant dumping even if I followed all the rules. After most meals I would have to go and lie down as I felt light headed. In late 2012 early 2013 I was experiencing extreme bloating to the point that I looked 8 months pregnant and nothing would relieve it. In March 2013 I began getting severe stomach and abdominal pains. The pain was worse than death and I was rushed to ED. CT scan found my bowel had twisted and became septic. Emergency surgery and they removed 7% of my bowel and reversed my bypass, at my request as I was terrified and panicked.So it's been nearly 2 yrs since the reversal and I have gained 33 pounds back. Granted I haven't watched my diet as well as I should have but I do exercise 4 to 5 times a week, running and cycling. I am now at the point where doesn't matter what I do I can not lose weight. I have been on diets, prescription medicines, everything and I remain around 187 pounds. Has anyone else experienced an inability to shift weight after the reversal? Is there any medical reason for this, metabolism altered etc? I am glad I don't have a bypass anymore but I am so sad that I have now returned to the weight loss weight gain cycle again. I would love to hear from others that have had a reversal or take down as well.

I sent you a message hun :)

Hi all,

I had a gastric bypass in November 2011 and although I wasn't extremely overweight I lost 44 pounds. (surgery was a conversation from lap band to bypass) Had complications from the beginning. Bloating, constant dumping even if I followed all the rules. After most meals I would have to go and lie down as I felt light headed. In late 2012 early 2013 I was experiencing extreme bloating to the point that I looked 8 months pregnant and nothing would relieve it. In March 2013 I began getting severe stomach and abdominal pains. The pain was worse than death and I was rushed to ED. CT scan found my bowel had twisted and became septic. Emergency surgery and they removed 7% of my bowel and reversed my bypass, at my request as I was terrified and panicked.So it's been nearly 2 yrs since the reversal and I have gained 33 pounds back. Granted I haven't watched my diet as well as I should have but I do exercise 4 to 5 times a week, running and cycling. I am now at the point where doesn't matter what I do I can not lose weight. I have been on diets, prescription medicines, everything and I remain around 187 pounds. Has anyone else experienced an inability to shift weight after the reversal? Is there any medical reason for this, metabolism altered etc? I am glad I don't have a bypass anymore but I am so sad that I have now returned to the weight loss weight gain cycle again. I would love to hear from others that have had a reversal or take down as well.

---

I am no expert but you said you don't watch your diet as well so maybe start there. Focus on protein and cut out the stuff that may not be the best for you that may have crept back into your diet over the last few years. All my health issues related to my gastric bypass were caused by my ulcers and by the fact that I was literally starving to death because I couldn't eat or drink. Having the PICC line in for a few months before my surgery to reverse my gastric bypass really helped me get back on track but 14 months later I am still in recovery mode from the severe malnutrition and depletion of my body. I have maintained my weight throughout my recovery at around 130 lbs since the PICC line helped me put some much needed weight on.

Personally I don't think the actual reversal has much to do with your weight gain and inability to lose the weight... Your metabolism could be wonky for many reasons and even though you exercise sometimes our bodies get used to it or the amount and in order to wake up the fat burning you may need to really amp up your workouts for a while while watching what you eat or you may need to try some other type of exercise routine in order to shock the weight off. I have also found it helpful to just write down/log everything I eat for a few days and then it helps me see where extra calories might be creeping in.

I wish you all the best!

I just had my bypass fully reversed in December 2014. Best thing I did. I had the original surgery May 2013, a lap band converted to roux en y. Still having a few small issues but am doing 200% better than I was with the bypass. 17 hospitalizations. 8 months with a PICC line. never could eat solids. Had original surgery in WA State at St Francis hospital. Now in Hawaii being followed at Tripler. Feel free to ask any questions.

Hi I had GB August 2013 and 2 months out diagnosed with an ulcer since then have had my gallbladder out and ulcer still has not healed. Pushing for a revision but now I'm wondering if I should just reverse it. I want to be able to eat and some days I can't even drink well. I have 10lbs more till I'm malnourished and I'm already feeling fatigued and lightheaded. I wanted to know what is a PICC line and what reasons did you have for the reversal. Thanks.

A PICC line is a type of IV like a central line that a special person puts in because it is super deep, goes near in your arm but end near your heart, & can stay in for a long time and be maintained at home if needed. I had to have one at the beginning of my gastric bypass adventure because I got a small painful ulcer in the 1st 3 months and become malnurshied while still in the 270's...

I had it the longest before my reversal and they use it to give meds, blood draws, and to give special nurishment that is made to be taken in through the blood because I could not eat or really drink.

I had to have a full reversal because in 18 months I went from 315 to 110 (and I have abt 15 lbs of loose skin) & I truly almost died. I could not have a "revision" because my surgeon (he was the head of bariatrics for UCLA) said that I was so thin that if anything went wrong after a revision I could easily die from not being able to take in enough food again and by being so thin keeping the bypass was like a medically imposed anorexia.

I had to have a full reversal to give my body the best chance to heal and to thrive. I am lucky that I learned my lesson about comforting myself with food and I will never eat myself into obesity again. I got better and now weigh 130 and I have maintained this weight for almost 18 months even though I can eat like a "normal" person again.

I have learned that gastric bypass is a very dangerous thing to live with l9ng term for a lot of people due to the malabsorbtion and the inability to absorb certain nutrients and vitamins.

If I were you and I were given the option of reversal and I still had weight to drop I would have them do the gastric sleeve procedure to your remnant stomach when they reverse the 1st surgery.

My husband had Gastric Sleeve surgery 8 months ago and has lost 100 lbs and has had ZERO complications or issues. I have 4 other friends who had the surgery and they are all doing great. It just makes your stomach smaller but does not mess with your digestion or absorbtion.

If you are feeling light headed be sure to keep an eye on your blood pressure. Mine got super low as well as my blood sugar. I was hospitalized many times due to dehydration and low potassium low BP low sodium... All that helped lead to the PICC line because my body was falling apart...

PS- If they have tried the meds and all that and your ulcers are not going away (like mine) then the issue could be lack of blood flow to parts of your pouch that hamper healing and the only fix is surgery. That was my issue. I did no caffeine, no soda, no alcohol, I was the A++ compliant patient & I kept getting non healing ulcers that meds would not touch. They decided that it was blood flow issues which can just happen when they cut you up and put you back together.

I do have low blood pressure normally so it makes sense that it would be that. Also the low sugar makes sense. I'm weighing right now at 116 and I feel like I don't have any extra weight to spare. I also have extra skin and I feel like if I lose anymore I will be malnourished. I force myself to eat and still don't gain weight and the days I can't eat, I lose more. My bariatric surgeon has me coming in weekly now to see him and suppose to be monitoring it for another 3 weeks before making a decision. I'm going to push for a revision or a reversal. I don't have any more weight to lose so I'm going for the reversal if they don't want to do the revision. I'm also going to ask about the blood flow. Since the reversal have you had anymore ulcers? I never had an ulcer before the surgery and my doctor has said it came from the surgery. It's located right on the staple line and I think my body maybe having a reaction to the staples.

I never had any ulcers or stomach issues before my gastric bypass and have had none since my reversal. I have a but of acid reflux now but totally controlled by a daily pill.

You need labs done asap if you haven't had any recently. When I was first getting super unwell and went into the hospital the 1st time my potassium & sodium were dangerously low and I was at risk of death and didn't even know it.

If you have a revision you may not be able to put any needed weight on or maintain your health. If I were u I would fight for a full reversal. This gives you the best chance to return to health.

I feel for you and I know how horrible it is to feel the way you do. I also had to put up with people not understanding how sick I was because I was thinking so everything should be perfect now, right? lol.

I had a nurse during one hospital stay tell me I shouldn't complain abt being too thin because I could hurt an overweight persons feelings and I shouldn't worry abt my protruding bones because Angelina Jolie has protruding bones and she is "perfect" - Yeah people are morons and those comments were from Nurses...

I got so thin that I had bruises from my bones pressing through my skin while sitting/laying on padding... You could see all my back bones and I looked like I had been held hostage but "people" kept telling me I would Def gain all the weight back if I had a reversal... (Which wasn't true for me and doesn't have to be true for anyone who wants to be healthy)

My reply was simple and true- I would say that I didn't think k that would happen but if it did I would rather be heavier than dead...

Get the reversal and get your life back.

Hi I Had my bypass in 2006 and started having issues in 2010 first a Hernia repair with partial bowl obstruction. Then in 2011 I started infusions for iron because my supplements weren't working. 2012 another hernia repair in 2013 out of nowhere I started dumping every time I ate not off sugar or fat but even protein. It ran right out of me I went from 148 where I had stabilized out at to 116 the morning of the reverse, I would dump off everything then came a episode of reactive hypo. I lived on lettuce, meat and that is pretty much it had to fight hard for my reverse, I knew I was dying I could feel it. Finally got my reverse the end of October 2013 I do have issues still like my stomach takes longer to empty, I have low blood pressure still and all sudden my low blood sugar is back in the last couple months. I know the reverse saved my life but was hoping it would take the low blood sugar with it but I'm alive and that matters to me. I to only gained back to my healthy weight of 146 and I have been there since 4 months after my reverse and of course my Dr told me i would gain all my weight back but I haven't. My pouch is reconnected to my stomach but its still works I believe that is why I still having issues. Last 5 yrs have been really rough. I would say do what you need to live and I wish you the best of luck.

My last labs were in January before my gallbladder surgery and they were normal. Then again my endoscopy was also normal in January and I have a large ulcer 2 months later same spot as the first one. I'm thinking they may have missed it in January and it had never healed. I went to the ER numerous times and they just give me zantac and Mylanta and send me on my way. I may get some pain meds if its really bad. I started just self medicating and toughing it out at home. I made the doctors prescribe the mylanta/lidocaine solution they give in the ER and I just wait it out. I didn't want to reverse the bypass because I had type 2 diabetes before surgery. Since the first day of the surgery I have had normal blood sugar and the diabetes was reversed. Which is why I was leaning more towards the revision. Diabetes runs strong in my family as well as heart disease. I will speak to my doctor about the reversal and possibly converting to the sleeve. I know I'm not accepting a let's wait until your critical approach. I feel myself deteriorating and I feel like I need to act before it gets too late. I get a lot of comments also about looking great. What good is looking great if you feel like crap. When the nurses comment on how great I'm doing losing weight I tell them thats because I can't hardly eat. Since I had the surgery I have never had a period where I fluctuate and gain weight. I have maintained my weight but never gained. Always losing more. Hopefully they will give me some good news on friday. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the great advice and support.

I had my gastric bypass surgery in September 2016 and I  haven't been the same since,  I  already lost 80 in the last 5 months.

I  have pain everyday I either vomit or run to the bathroom. All I do is sleep and drink liquids. I'm thinking about having the reverse surgery but I have

Some concerns about the risks and if it will work for me. I'm seeing myself wasting away. When I think about eating I get nauseated.  With the reverse surgery 

Will everything go back to the same before the gastric bypass? Now I  have an ulcer in the small intestinal

Edited by Sirena731

Welcome to Thinner Times Sirena!

I have not had a WLS reversal but hopefully others will be able to jump in with their experiences.

Sirena

I had my bypass in 2006  and my reverse in 2013. Things did get much better for as far as no more dumping and my labs and weight have stabilized out. My hypoglycemia came back and I have gastroparises now do to all the nerve damage to my stomach. I have had several surgeries. I run a support group on facebook for people who have had them or are going to have them. I think the ones that have had ulcers do well after as well if you have had less surgeries. I'm alive because of mine. If you would like to ck my group out its  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1521084628170143/  I hope you get the help that you need and feel better soon.

On 3/16/2015 at 5:23 PM, AFWife03 said:

I just had my bypass fully reversed in December 2014. Best thing I did. I had the original surgery May 2013, a lap band converted to roux en y. Still having a few small issues but am doing 200% better than I was with the bypass. 17 hospitalizations. 8 months with a PICC line. never could eat solids. Had original surgery in WA State at St Francis hospital. Now in Hawaii being followed at Tripler. Feel free to ask any questions.

Did u have any complications of the reversal?  Can I have the name of ur surgeon I live in indiana by chicago border.. I been to both uic hospitals they are only offering revision and I dont want this anymore... I'm still not eating, barely keeping water down at times, I'm very malnourished n weak.. I'm stuck at home running the tpn 24/7 thru my picc line and still have a gaping wound from an infection at the drain site of the original surgery...