tink365

Anybody had Gastro Gastric Fistula Pouch Leaking Revision

Hello!  I gained about 60 pounds back over the past few years.  I had my bypass about 10 years ago.  I experienced addiction transfer which was not really discussed back when I had my surgery.  I did have to go to treatment for alcohol about 3 years ago and I have been sober since then.  I have been working on sobriety and also food addiction.  I figured that I had just blown my surgery from drinking.  I started having stomach pain, realized that I could eat normal amounts of food and that something didn't feel just right several months ago.  I was having terrible acid reflux.  I found Dr. Jawad here in Florida (my first surgery was in AL) and after a Upper GI he found that I my pouch had reattached itself to my old stomach it was leaking and I have a fistula.  I then realized that I hadn't done anything to myself that it was a mechanical failure.  My insurance approved the surgery with no hesitation or issue.  I will be getting my surgery date next week.  I am hoping someone out there has had this revision surgery and can share the experience with me.  I am curious about recovery time, length of surgery, weight loss after surgery?? 

I am guess that nobody has had this revision surgery....... it seems like I am not getting any feedback on any message board that I am posting on. :(

Hang in there tink - the weekends are quieter on T-T.

I don't have any experience to share with you but wanted to wish you good luck with your revision!

Thank you for those who responded.......I feel better now.... LOL. ;)

i have no experience with it, i have heard of other people having it though.  i believe it is more common with older bypasses and not so much with more recent ones due to change in technique.  but unfortunately that is about all i know about it.  Good luck with the procedure though!!

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I do believe it is mostly occuring in the older bypass surgeries.  I honestly feel grateful and blessed to be getting this revision.  I have literally gone through hell and back.  I am excited about the future.  I am waiting on my surgery date should get it this week. 

Did not have a revision but the mosi important advice I can give you is follow your surgeons eating plan to the ____nt degree. Revisions can be tricky so try and follow the eating plan carefully.

Best wishes on your journey

Thank you TT Master......I will definately follow the plan and do whatever I need to do to feel better.  I know it is not going to be easy but will be worth it for sure!

Thank you TT Master......I will definately follow the plan and do whatever I need to do to feel better.  I know it is not going to be easy but will be worth it for sure!

There are plenty of people here who will be happy to give you tips and support.

Please keep us posted on your progress during this journey

I will....getting lots of information reading posts and enjoying it!

Tink:

What type of revision are they doing to your original gastric bypass surgery?

Are they giving you an official RNY surgery?  ERNY? Sleeve?  DS?

I am guessing maybe you have the old style type of gastric bypass surgery. 

Tink:

What type of revision are they doing to your original gastric bypass surgery?

Are they giving you an official RNY surgery?  ERNY? Sleeve?  DS?

I am guessing maybe you have the old style type of gastric bypass surgery. 

I have a gastro gastric fistula (original bypass done 10 years ago in AL).  The pouch has attached itself to the stomach and they are communicating and they should not be.  The point that they have reattached has formed a type of ulcer (fistula) and it erroded through so contents of my pouch go in to the stomach and then the contents have no place to go.....except back up my esophagus.  Which is NOT a good feeling it is quite uncomfortable.  My revision surgery will be seperating the pouch from the stomach so that they do not communicate again, they have to fix the fistula and do some work on the small bypassed intestines.

Hi Tink,

I had my gastric bypass 12 yrs. ago and I have a similar problem to yours.  The area where the small intestines connects to my pouch is ulcerated and it causes me a lot of distress (vomiting, reflux, feeling full after a few bites, etc.).  I am about to have a revision done by the same doctor who preformed the original surgery.  He said he has seen this problem in less than 10% of RNY ~ aren't I special   :)  ?  I have had issues with vomiting since day one and it has cost me most of my teeth.  I am anemic and very deficient of my vitamins.  At one point, about 6 yrs. after the surgery I got as low as 110 lbs. from 315!  Since I didn't have insurance or qualify for any assistance, I was basically screwed.  To this day, I can not finish a whole 'lean cuisine' in one sitting.  My current weight is about 160, but I have reached the point where life is miserable.  I go through almost a bottle of Mylanta a day, sometimes for weeks on end.  Taking that much has very negative side effects <g>.  Thanks to ObamaCare, I now have insurance once again and I'm close to having a revision done.

I got a call from the doctor today and he needs me to get my iron, calcium & vit. D up before we can set a date. My trouble is keeping them down long enough to absorb them. I'd love to hear how you are doing ~ have you had surgery yet?  I hope mine can be preformed arthroscopically but I had too much scar tissue the first time from a previous surgery that was done through my stomach.   

Please keep posting and let us know whats going on with you :)

Heidi

Hi Heidi!

First of all let me say I am so sorry you are going through all of that and I do hope you are getting close to having everything repaired so that you start feeling better!

You are the first person who has anything like what I have going on ...... you are right there are just a very small percentage of people this happens to and we are both super special! :P

I am having my surgery Sept. 25th to repair the fistula and seperate the stomachs from communicating also stoma work and resection of the small intestine.  I have been having bad GERD and it is just not fun as you know!  I am very lucky that my insurance Aetna PPO approved it immediately.  I have had the Upper GI which is how the surgeon found out what was going on.  I just had a ton of lab work done to test for about 5 different things.  I have a Gallbladder Ultrasound next week.  Then on the 9th I have the Nutrition Evalution in a group type setting.  The last thing is the 19th that is 1/2 day in the Surgeons Office the other 1/2 of the day doing all of my Pre-Admit testing.  Then surgery on the 25th.  I was disappointed at first that my surgery wasn't immediately last month (so impatient) LOL.  However, now I see that it is taking time to get everything done so it worked out really great.

I also have to start in about a week my pre-op diet that is two weeks prior to surgery.  I can have two protein drinks per day and a small meal of protein with green beans or broccoli. 

Please let me know what is going on with you!  We have to stick together since there aren't that many of us!  Private Message me anytime!

Edited by tink365