wendysal

Lost job because boss is jealous?

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I lost my job last week.  I have worked there for six years and saved them a fair bit of money.  When I said I was going to have lapband, my boss  who is overweight was telling me how he was thinking of doing it, but it costs too much, and how he eats too many takeaways etc...  But, ever since I have had it done he has been getting more and more angry: dumping other peoples work on me, asking me to do things that are not part of my work duties, giving me evil looks. I took 2 unpaid weeks off work after the surgery, and that was the first time off in 6 years. So now its like he thinks Im dispensable, even though I saved him 48,000 dollars last year on their insurance, and that would drop another 70,000 next year when the other implementations are complete. It's been 6 weeks since my operation and I have dropped two dress sizes.  Honestly, he has changed. Its a small business, with 6 staff who have all gotten on very well. We are an efficient team.  And I only work 1-2 days a week as a casual while at uni! So last week, he calls me and tells me he has to let me go as they are cost cutting. Just me, mind you.

So, now Im looking for a new job. He hasn't even emailed me a reference. After 6 years! Im feeling depressed about the whole thing. I want to remain positive, but I have bills to pay, I have to find a new job. I don't feel I needed to be let go of at all.  And I will miss the team. 

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this type of thing after weight loss surgery?

Edited by wendysal

so sorry you are experiencing this.  i have not had anything  like this, and it stinks that this guy is acting like this.  could you get a reference from one of your other team members maybe.  good luck on the job front!!

wendysal likes this

I am assuming that your boss is an adult - so there has to be something wrong with him mentally!  None of this makes sense - I am so sorry that he did this to you - truly its not you - its him! (for sure)

wendysal and GAviv like this

so sorry you are experiencing this.  i have not had anything  like this, and it stinks that this guy is acting like this.  could you get a reference from one of your other team members maybe.  good luck on the job front!!

I do volunteering so I can get references from that. I'm looking around for more work, but I must admit its been emotionally difficult.  This was the first time I craved junk since the op, but I coped with it and it passed.  I'll be okay, I just felt betrayed and sad about it all. Thanks.

health journey likes this

I'm sorry this happened to you.  Some people do feel jealous/resentful of the changes you've made that they are not ready for yet.   Can someone else in the office give you a reference,  even if it's the office manager instead of the boss?  Good luck finding more work!

wendysal likes this

I lost the best job of my life because my boss god awful and feared I would have his job one day. I got a job the next day but eventually lost that in the big GM bailout.

after 3.5 YEARS of unemployment  I now make 1984 wages, it sucks being poor, but I am happy and healthier than I have been in years.

things will turn around, it may suck for a while but it will get better.

wendysal likes this

I'm sorry this happened to you some people just cant be happy with others success and feel they need to bring them down because they are miserable, I wish you the best of luck in looking for work!

wendysal likes this

Thanks everyone. I am in a better headspace now, though I have no idea when I will get another job. but I have been happily doing the volunteering and they have been nice there and paid for me to have a take of community services workshops in that field.  With those, and volunteering experience I may end up changing fields. It wasn't something I had planned to do until I finished uni next year, but maybe it will work out.

I'm so sorry. Who knows why people act like this. That's terrible.

wendysal likes this

Finally started a new job, back as a caregiver. No more desk work for me, Im run off my feet. :)  Very happy now :)

Njjenny62 and TheColdestAugust like this

Good for you!  Congrats!