Sign in to follow this  
gritzy

Prevention?

So I'm five days out of surgery and been reading some of the posts about addiction transfer. Does anyone have any tips as far as steering yourself in a healthy direction? I'm not convinced an additive personality can kill addiction totally. Dad has always been addicted to something, and alcoholism runs in the family. I don't want to let myself fall down the wrong rabbit hole here.

Do you think/know you are a food addict? I am a food addict and I come from a long line of addicts so these are some of the things I'm doing to ward off transfer addiction. 

If, once you've fully healed, you decide to have a drink or sweets or something high carb, plan for it. I don't allow myself to make impulsive decisions about high carb/sugar foods or booze. Impulsive decision about food got to me to 300+ pounds. Work on being okay with being emotionally uncomfortable (sad, mad, irritated, bored, angry, etc). I know anytime I was emotionally uncomfortable, I would eat so I never learned how to self-sooth without food. If you find yourself thinking about something compulsively (food, booze, drugs, exercise, sex, shopping, gambling, etc), take a step back and try to figure out what's really going on (bad day, feeling blue, fight with someone, disappointment, etc) and don't allow yourself to engage in the behavior in that moment. What you are really looking for is to feel better so find something that makes you feel better that isn't the thing you are thinking compulsively about. I'm a big fan of therapy so I suggest if you aren't in therapy now, you might want to consider it. 

Am I a food addict? I don't know. I don't feel like one. There's not a part of me that says "holy dang we needa get some food up in here right now!" I don't know that much about food addiction, though. Suggestions on a good source of info?

Really the only way to combat it is to REALLY know yourself and what, emotionally, is triggering the need for (food, drug, blah blah blah).  Is it stress, anger, sadness, boredom....  you need to know what it is that makes you tick and what makes you lean towards "that thing".  And then find alternate ways to deal with emotional trigger.