tmcgee

Alternative Addiction Treatment

Interesting article on alternatives to 12 step programs.

http://tinyurl.com/lkz2zgj

Very interesting, thank for posting!

As someone who has worked in the field of addiction,  I can tell you straight off,  that this alternative is far,  far more expensive than 12 step programs. 

I don't love everything about the AA model,  but it is the cheapest, strongest, community based model out there, for a lot of people who have no money or community and need more support than an hour or two a week.  I worked at a hospital which had a 6 week program - so when you left, you were clean,  but we couldn't keep you clean.  People really need a lot of support,  more than most can pay for,  and AA gives it to you for free...

As someone who has worked in the field of addiction,  I can tell you straight off,  that this alternative is far,  far more expensive than 12 step programs. 

I don't love everything about the AA model,  but it is the cheapest, strongest, community based model out there, for a lot of people who have no money or community and need more support than an hour or two a week.  I worked at a hospital which had a 6 week program - so when you left, you were clean,  but we couldn't keep you clean.  People really need a lot of support,  more than most can pay for,  and AA gives it to you for free...

I have no doubt that it's expensive unless you have super insurance. I'm happy that there is an alternative though, some of us just don't plug into the 12 step model at all.