duffman27

Sleeve Patient / How long out of work

18 posts in this topic

I am a desk Jockey, though a very fast pace and high energy position. ( Buyer/Planner) I am curious how long I should expect to be away? I am hoping it is only a week? I realize everyone is different, if you would like to share your time away from work I would appreciate it. Thanks, Mike

i work a mundane desk job and was out 3 weeks.  Could have gone back half days after 2 weeks but chose to listen to my surgeon instead.  He wanted me out 4 weeks and we compromised on 3.

duffman27 likes this

Surgeon suggested 2 weeks off so that is what I took off.  I could have easily went back to work after just a week though.  But I already had it off/approved so I just kept the 2 weeks off.  Desk job, work from home.

duffman27 likes this

I have a desk job as well but I'm always running around and running to meetings.  I took 4 weeks off and I'm super happy I did.  I know there are a lot of people that only take a few days or a week, but I'm a baby and need more time.  Doc said on Monday that she's not sure I'll be back in 4 weeks as I'm still experiencing some pain.

duffman27 likes this

I have a 90 minute round trip commute as well, that would probably be more painful than the work, I am hoping to work from home as well.

Thanks for the input!

Wait until all the questions I have as I keep moving forward....LOL

kindred71 and lilrosie like this

I am 2 (and a bit) weeks out and glad that I had the time off.  I was napping most days,  and only this week have gone the entire day without needing sleep. Also I found it hard to focus for any great length of time, even in the middle of the second week.  I'm going back to work, but part time for this week.   It's hard to predict how pain/healing will hit, but please give yourself the option to have some time off, in case you need it.

duffman27 likes this

Thanks Lisi, I will keep that in mind. I am 110% all the time so I guess i will slow down if I have the surgery. Your numbers look good, you must be so excited!

I am!  It's like a science experiment,  I can't wait to see what each day will bring.  Now I'm getting ambitious and soon will up my exercise schedule (before, just moving was a plus!) 

duffman27 likes this

Thanks Lisi, I will keep that in mind. I am 110% all the time so I guess i will slow down if I have the surgery. Your numbers look good, you must be so excited!

Listen to your body after surgery. Don't push it. If you are tired, rest. If you are sleepy, sleep. Don't plan big shopping trips. Your focus is on getting your fluids and protein in. If you are a type A kinda guy, then put your energy into healing which sometimes means relaxing . So bro, my advice is to chill , sip on some nice cold water, eat sf Popsicles and allow your baby sleeve to heal.

I took 4 weeks off and glad that I did. It was very helpful to be able to make the food transitions( clear fluids to full fluids to purée ) while at home and not having to worry about what foods to take to work.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you are 46 years old. You are not old but as people get older it does take a longer to recover.

Best wishes on your journey

duffman27 likes this

Great Point Spunky - I have already told my superiors that if I have the surgery I will try to minimize time away, but in the end, I will listen to my body and the doctors. maybe work from home? LOL

Great Point Spunky - I have already told my superiors that if I have the surgery I will try to minimize time away, but in the end, I will listen to my body and the doctors. maybe work from home? LOL

The way I look at this is that this is a life changing and life saving surgery and I didn't want to blow it. I figured this was my last chance to get healthy and I wanted to get it right. I am not always the most compliant patient but this time I was and I am so happy I did. I have done so well and feel like I am 20 years younger. This surgery is for you and I want it to go well for you so please take care. The first 3-4 days is not easy but the effort is well worth it. If you can work at home do it but remember if you take pain pills they can make you foggy which is not a good thing if you are trying to work

Please keep in touch

duffman27 likes this

Great thread.. I've been pondering this as well. I'm the only one who does the particular job I do, and two other people rely on my finishing my work in order to do theirs. It's also daily work, so it's not like I can work ahead. Argh! lol So I'm a bit nervous. My boss is the coworker who had gastric bypass last year so she's really supportive but I know I'm gonna stress lol I'm hoping I can do some work from home after a week but I also know I have to do what's best for my body. So it's playing it by ear at this point..

Lisi1963 and duffman27 like this

you are lucky your boss has gone through something similar Daliamama,  so you can be upfront about what is going on.

That being said,  my husband's office all knew and were enormously supportive. And now his assistant (very pretty thin blonde girl) gets him his lunch and basically they eat the same thing.  I tease him that he is eating like a New York woman now,  and that's 7 salad leaves and some fish...   but she won't let him cheat in anyway, and I'm grateful!

I do medical billing so I am sitting all day typing.  I had my surgery on a Thursday and took off that Friday and the following week. That gave me ten days.  I didn't have any trouble with pain and was only on pain meds for four days.  The biggest struggle I had was trying to stay hydrated.  

You don't have too much longer!

Take as much time as you can. I planned mine pretty well and had my surgery during spring break month for my kids. I was able to not only heal but spend lot's of quality time with my family. I also got my routine down with meal prep, eating (what works and what didn't), water and vitamins.

I really wish I could have taken more time. Not because I needed more healing but because it was nice putting myself first and not stressing about my commute, demands from work or unreasonable co-workers. It was nice! Very nice! I think we learn to live for pleasing others all the time and it was nice to not do that for awhile.

I am a veterinary technician and have an active, fairly physical job....lifting, bending, kneeling, squatting and driving all day. I went back to work after 7 days. I would have liked to take two weeks, but being a partner in a small, mobile practice, if I don't work we are essentially closed. No such thing as PTO for a business owner....No work=no money. I scheduled surgery around Christmas/New Years, and was able to incorporate weekends and the holidays around my recovery so I really only missed 3 days of work. I did have a 20 pound lifting restriction for 3 weeks, but after that I was back to lifting the usual 40-60 pounds.

Fortunately I had no nausea or pain at all, so besides being a little tired, work was not a problem. I was also on liquids for 18 days so I made sure I had plenty of juice and protein shakes to sip on in between appointments.

Edited by ThinCVT

I have a desk job. I was out for a week but the DR recommended 2 weeks. I ended up getting so sick (idk if it was a coincidence) but I ended up in and out of the hopsital for three months. Listen to your Doctor and your body. Take all the time you need because you dont want to end up in a bad situation like I did. 

I had surgery on a Tuesday and went back to work (from home) on Friday and worked the following M-Th from home and back to the office the next Friday. I have had issues with fatigue but have been able to make it through each work day with no issues until I get home and collapse. I do work in an office about 50-60 hours per week.