GAviv

What Are You Wearing Today?

8,875 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Stephtay said:

Hello Gorgeous! Good to see you again!1

Florence I get...

Naples for the second? You are looking good!

1 hour ago, tmcgee said:

I used to work with a guy 40 years ago who truly knew wines. At the Audio Engineering trade show in NYC in 1976, at dinner, he ordered a bottle of red and a bottle of white. I have no recollection of what they were, except that they were each superb. I never experience that before or since.

Probably Burgundy then, but I must be projecting. ^_^ Burgs from the 60s remain icons of finesse and pleasure. 

2 hours ago, cinwa said:

I very much appreciate the long answer. 

I was born and raised in the UK and spent many holidays in France where I acquired a taste for red wine and I'll openly admit that the commune of Gevrey-Chambertin produces wine that I adore.  However, as I'm the only one to drink it in this house and a scant half a glass is my limit (my DH wouldn't know a good wine if it bit him in the behind), it will have to remain cherished memory.

Oh, swoon. You just need Grand Cru Burgundy bottled in splits. If in WA will arrange for a furtive ... taste of Grand Cru Gevrey. ^_^ Wouldn't have babbled for so long if I had known you know Gevrey. Did you see one of the stages in the Tour de Franc ended in the Cote d'Or, I think in Nuits St. Georges? I can't afford to drink Chambertin or Chamb. Clos de Beze but once a year. OK, I'm babbling...

13 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Florence I get...

Naples for the second? You are looking good!

Wow your correct, you know your Italian cities in addition to Vino!

(Just recognize the curves in the land...)

6 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Didn't know you are such a mistrustful person

I'm a teacher - mistrustful by nature, training, and experience. 

You're looking great! :) 

Res Ipsa and BurgundyBoy like this

6 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Whoops... here are the pics! (Didn't know you are such a mistrustful person... bet you thought I was really a slightly more than 30 year old woman who is the EVIL TWIN doppelganger of @Smashlee83, haha haha haha.). (Apologies for the inclusion of biking and fishing gear; and no the reverse B is correct, my son put it up on the inside of the entrance. Left it there to confuse any Evil Spirits looking for Burgundy Boys in metro Boston, turns out they are easily confused). 

Front door photo new Jeans 2.jpg

38-34_Levis_501_July_25_2017.jpg

Looking good! And thanks for explaining your nick name!  

BurgundyBoy likes this

5 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Looking good! And thanks for explaining your nick name!  

@Cheesehead you are too kind re: a long and boring post. You are perceptive and helpful and a beacon to those of us following in your path.

4 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

@cinwa  You have asked an easy hard question.  Burgundy wine is all about beauty and elegance, it is not about size or weight. Chambertin as a vineyard site has two parts, and one part was planted in the 7th century... and tradition is that the other half was planted in the 12th century. In a good year there are only 60,000 bottles of Chambertin made for the world - only 5,000 cases spread among many producers. The wines made here can be simply in the top rank of the best in the world. Over centuries this vineyard, Chambertin, has shown itself to be unlike that of any other place. The exposure to sun, the drainage, the complex mixture of soils... are unique. The monks who tended the grapes and made those wines paid attention for many centuries, and the wines from this site has been recognized for their depth of flavor, its mysterious way of being powerful without being alcoholic or big.... the complexity of the scent, and its capacity to improve in the bottle.  Great bottles of Chambertin persist in your memory and in your palate for years. Unlike a lot of wines where the character of the fruit is all you taste, in some Burgundy vineyard sites people talk about tasting the soil as brought forth by the grapes. At this point in my life I don't care about just tasting ripe fruit - that is a cheap trick that anyone can do. I want to taste that plus the minerals in the soil; I want the scent to change for the better every few minutes, and for the depth and complexity of flavor to keep me intrigued. Burgundy, and Chambertin is an example, is wine grown in a specific place by people who have been paying attention for over a thousand years. They know the wine grown thirty yards in that direction is not as good, and twenty yards up the slope of the hill will be a touch better. When people bottle their Chambertin, they are thinking how it will taste in 20 or 30 years, not now. It is a world view that I subscribe to, a long-term view. I think life - for all of us - should have beauty in it, and that it can be shared with friends and family over good food and conversation (but just not too much of that food stuff now). 

In 1987 or so some Belgian acquaintances living in Boston opened a bottle of pale, rose-colored Burgundy over dinner that had been found in a Paris cellar when the house was sold. It was a 1943 Clos Vougeot, and the perfume filled the room. At full arm's length the wine flooded my senses with warm candied cherries and musk, almost carnal sexiness and ... it was ethereally pretty. I could not get enough of that haunting perfume. It was at that moment I understood how profound this simple beverage could be. At the risk of going completely over the top, Burgundy is all about a kind of sensual wine that satisfies neophytes as well as the experts that is designed to be drunk with food and not by itself. And great Chambertin is better, more profound, than Clos Vougeot.  Few people could drink a glass of mature Chambertin and not like it. It sounds like that bottle of Damoy Chambertin has gotten under your skin. It is certainly under my skin. 

So here is the hard part: How does one enjoy this beauty in our daily lives, this wine with food, without ... taking in too much?  Without it being part of the "too much" we struggle with especially here? For many of us the way to battle the demon of obesity has to be to strip food and wine of its magic, to renounce it. Instead I struggle to keep it, to celebrate it, to appreciate it ... and not eat so bloody much. So Burgundy is a shorthand for this: balance and beauty are the ideal, and bigger is not better. 

You probably thought you were going to get a short answer....

...and then there are the giant barrels of wine on the side of the road in Croatia. On the roads through Croat wine country, you can fill up a water bottle with wine and leave cash in an honor box. Sound tempting @BurgundyBoy??

BurgundyBoy likes this

Just now, NerdyLady said:

...and then there are the giant barrels of wine on the side of the road in Croatia. On the roads through Croat wine country, you can fill up a water bottle with wine and leave cash in an honor box. Sound tempting @BurgundyBoy??

Just goes to show that Civilized Life is not just in Metro Boston. Yes, it does sound like they have some important things figured out! and an Honor box!! Was it tasty?

have not been to Croatia before. A lot of wonderful places to visit...

NerdyLady likes this

All I'll say is, I agree with your closing words about not stripping life of the things you enjoy but learning to essentially moderate (a lot) and really savor what you do partake of...

....that and now I really want to try that wine...

NerdyLady likes this

16 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Whoops... here are the pics! (Didn't know you are such a mistrustful person... bet you thought I was really a slightly more than 30 year old woman who is the EVIL TWIN doppelganger of @Smashlee83, haha haha haha.). (Apologies for the inclusion of biking and fishing gear; and no the reverse B is correct, my son put it up on the inside of the entrance. Left it there to confuse any Evil Spirits looking for Burgundy Boys in metro Boston, turns out they are easily confused). 

Front door photo new Jeans 2.jpg

38-34_Levis_501_July_25_2017.jpg

Well my suspicions have officially been muddled. You are NOT a short girl. Rather a tall THIN man! Looking great, congrats on the levis!

18 minutes ago, Smashlee83 said:

Well my suspicions have officially been muddled. You are NOT a short girl. Rather a tall THIN man! Looking great, congrats on the levis!

BTW @BurgundyBoy, you look different than when we met. I thought you looked great when we met at Castle Island with @tmcgee and @Res Ipsa. I couldn't imagine you any thinner because you looked slim. WOW! The difference is remarkable. Way to go, my friend! How are you feeling healthwise?

I don't know when you leave for your trip. Have a great time!

BurgundyBoy likes this

36 minutes ago, Smashlee83 said:

Please Please Please 

Don't tell anyone that this is my next door neighbor and that I am a short girl....

Stephtay likes this

16 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

BTW @BurgundyBoy, you look different than when we met. I thought you looked great when we met at Castle Island with @tmcgee and @Res Ipsa. I couldn't imagine you any thinner because you looked slim. WOW! The difference is remarkable. Way to go, my friend! How are you feeling healthwise?

I don't know when you leave for your trip. Have a great time!

Huh! Well, I don't doubt it. My body's remodelling continues apace. Thanks @NerdyLady! Once upon a time I was thin like a bean pole.... Am feeling pretty good, back is way better but those darn hip joints ... not so hot. And am totally stalled out at the same weight for the last 2 weeks. It's about time for me to have a momentous step down ... so given the nastiness of the Weight Loss Gods, I'll go up a couple of pounds the day before my vacation...:wacko:. Will post from vacation, leave at the end of the week. 

Cadoodle and NerdyLady like this

4 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Huh! Well, I don't doubt it. My body's remodelling continues apace. Thanks @NerdyLady! Once upon a time I was thin like a bean pole.... Am feeling pretty good, back is way better but those darn hip joints ... not so hot. And am totally stalled out at the same weight for the last 2 weeks. It's about time for me to have a momentous step down ... so given the nastiness of the Weight Loss Gods, I'll go up a couple of pounds the day before my vacation...:wacko:. Will post from vacation, leave at the end of the week. 

I went up two pounds in the last week and I'm trying not to sweat it. That's the name of the game, right? Enjoy tasty meals while on vacation.  Within reason, of course...

In high school I weighed 135. You probably couldn't see me if I turned sideways. My uniform skirts were shorter than regulation but the nuns couldn't say a word. :)

9 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Just goes to show that Civilized Life is not just in Metro Boston. Yes, it does sound like they have some important things figured out! and an Honor box!! Was it tasty?

have not been to Croatia before. A lot of wonderful places to visit...

Was it tasty? By God, no. The batch I got was horrible. I had to try it, though. How often does one pass giant barrels of wine on the side of the road?

Croatia is my favorite place in the entire world. Well, the world I've seen. I thought I was fairly well traveled until I me you and @Jen581791.  :lol:

Jen581791 likes this

Morning. Pretty boring today, but the shoes are fun!

J.Crew cropped black trousers (size 4) and small French Connection top. Leather and velvet Sam Edelman mules.

7.26.17.jpeg

7_26_17b.jpeg

10 minutes ago, GAviv said:

Morning. Pretty boring today, but the shoes are fun!

J.Crew cropped black trousers (size 4) and small French Connection top. Leather and velvet Sam Edelman mules.

7.26.17.jpeg

7_26_17b.jpeg

I should be so boring!!!! Love the shoes :)

GAviv likes this

IMG_0967.thumb.PNG.5fe8a8b19925e48cfee2416b5e70465c.PNG

floral maxi dress

gap jean jacket

AE crochet sandals

Love this new Limited top, size large. Wore it to church today. 

IMG_7101.PNG

IMG_7097.JPG

Beautiful, @ShrinkingViolet2! Shows off your lovely arms and collarbones. Your skin looks gorgeous!

Jen581791 and ShrinkingViolet2 like this

@ShrinkingViolet2 That top is so glamorous and fun! You look beautiful :) 

ShrinkingViolet2 and Gretta like this

Thank you, @Gretta and @Jen581791 !! 

Jen581791 and Gretta like this

@ShrinkingViolet2 I LOVE that top!!  It looks great on you!

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this