Herb5000

Very embarrassing question!

12 posts in this topic

Ok so I was constipated for the first 3 weeks. Then in the last week I've had a BM twice. The first one was the most excruciating, painful, horrific experience ever...until today! Toilet-Armageddon! I won't go into details but lets just say I almost called 911!! I definitely need a stool softener, that's quite obvious. SO the question, or questions rather are: Has anyone experienced this before postop? Is it normal? Do I need more fiber? Will stool softeners solve the issue? Can I even take stool softeners VSG postop? I posted a topic yesterday about the effects of mental and emotional fear when it comes to returning to eating...now I'm fearing the physiological effects! Any help? Thank you all!

There are tons of thread on these board about this very issue (not mens issues but general questions or post op). This is a very common problem post op for people. In the first couple weeks after surgery, it can be related to the anesthesia. Further out, it may become a common issue. MOM, Stool Softeners, Enemas, Smooth Move Tea, Fiber gummies are all potential solutions. In the beginning it will be hard to get any natural fiber, because that is not part of the diet. It is important that you continue to have bowel movements because you do not want to have a bowel impaction.

I've been taking stool softeners for several years, they help but do not prevent the problem. Smooth Move is my friend lately.

Wardog likes this

I use miralax if it has been more than 3 days. Better to be a little proactive than wait too long. Also drink smooth move daily.

if you are eating RIGHT postop (high protein, no simple carbs, green leafy veggies) you wont have a great problem. if you not get enough complex carbs then it can get downright painful. your body is sucking every single nutrient out of your food and if you do not hydrate and have enough fiber it can get as hard as a depleted uranium round from a  GAU-8/A Avenger.

it is a fine balance though and the only thing that always works for me is psyllium husk powder (medimucil)  

Wardog and Bass359 like this

The problem may be dehydration.  Try drinking a lot more fluids.  This works for me. 

IWANT2GETSKINNY and Aviator like this

if you are eating RIGHT postop (high protein, no simple carbs, green leafy veggies) you wont have a great problem. if you not get enough complex carbs then it can get downright painful. your body is sucking every single nutrient out of your food and if you do not hydrate and have enough fiber it can get as hard as a depleted uranium round from a  GAU-8/A Avenger.

it is a fine balance though and the only thing that always works for me is psyllium husk powder (medimucil)

He is only a month post-op, so I am sure he isn't getting a lot of anything! Constipation is an issue for a lot of us and your solutions evolve has your diet changes/advances. Senna tablets worked for me when I was about a month out, but I had to take the maximum dose. Miralax works great now, but you have to be taking in the minimum amount of water - 64 ounces - a day and really should take in more. Many sweat by Milk of Magnesia (MOM), but I have not tried it. Good luck! Jen
IWANT2GETSKINNY likes this

Had the same problem, it was horrible. I used an enema and I now make sure I drink metamucil everyday...seems to have solved the problem.

Smooth Move Tea!  It works overnight, it is gentle and it's not habit forming.  Just make sure you will be at home around 10 am and then for me again around 2:00 ....lol!  I had to use it a couple times a week for a while but now that I am able to get in what I need I very rarely need it.  Usually only if I've had a very busy week and I can look back at my food journal and see why I need it!

Sonya

Severe constipation was an enormous issue for me post-op.

Ultimately, keeping up with my fluids, daily stool softeners, Miralax and probiotics got me regular and for the most part, as long as I take the PB8 probiotics, I'm fine but I keep on top of it and if I don't go every morning, I take half a dose of Miralax (cheaper Kirkland LaxaClear).

Yep same  o semo!! and let me tell you how painfull can be !!! not good!! my first time i was in tiers calling the doctor office and he suggest me to do an anema with warm water and anema solution with miniral oil ( use more water and less solution mix it together), but now i'm in a stool softner regime and sometimes i do take miralax if i don't go after 3 days.  

I had constipation for 3 weeks.  I went 13 days post-op without a BM.  Then came the diarrhea, which lasted another 10 days,  After experimenting with Miralax, Activia, Immodium, and othe chemicals, I finally have a well-behaved colon, except I now have roids that need their own zip code!  That's another issue...