Johanina23

Date Set!

176 posts in this topic

Hi Ladies,

I'm glad to see everyone progressing.  I am actually doing extremely well and that worries me.  I don't have a problem getting the liquids down and I feel like I could eat more solid foods and I do get hungry.  It scares the crap out of me because I don't want to fail.  I put in my food intake in my fitness pal and I am only eating about 480 calories and I've been riding my bike for 30-60 min everyday and it says that burns 459 calories so my calories are 21.  I am just so scared of failure.  I don't want to be hungry.  Don't get me wrong I'm glad I feel so good I just wish I wasn't as hungry as I am.  I know I'm whining but hopefully you guys will understand.

Hi all....I feel like a complete idiot, but this is the first time I've seen this thread, and this appears to be where all the June surgeries are hanging out.    I hope ya'll don't mind if I join you....I've missed talking to people going thru the same things I am!

Good luck to all of you!

Johanina23 likes this

KristyOle,

I am feeling the exact opposite.  So much that it worries me because I am hardly eating anything.  I have been trying hard to get in my fluids and protein but the most I get is water.  I feel kinda crappy and weak and nauseous.  I hope this changes a bit so I don't go too far in the direction on needing IV fluids to straighten me back out.  I have not really felt any hunger since my surgery on the 19th.  I only feel icky and empty.  :(

Hi Princess,

Welcome.   How did your surgery go?  how are you feeling now?

Eatingsmoke,

Im sorry to hear you are feeling so bad.  I hope it gets better for you.  What does your doctor say? 

I just got back from my post op  Dr. appt and he is really happy with my loss and that I'm doing so well.  He reassured me that I was doing great and to be thankful I am one of the lucky ones that doesn't have trouble with getting in the fluids, proteins and such. 

Kristy

We'll so much for shakes. Doc said clear fluids for 10 days. :( He said maybe on Friday if I stay on track. No cheating. So back to the grocery store we went, and got more chicken broth and powerade.

Another plus note today... I'm going back to work tomorrow. I have a desk job, so it shouldn't be too bad. I will leave if I get too tired, they are flexible. I'm actually looking forward to it. It's boring at home. I don't know how people do it. I can't watch day time tv, and there's nothing on any how.

As for the swollen ankles, he told me they put so much fluid into us while in the hospital, it takes a while to rid it. He's against water pills, so I just need to keep my feet up.

Hope everyone else is doing good. It's hot here, and storms on the way, so I will tend to the pool before it starts.

Have a good day.

KristyOle,

I am feeling the exact opposite.  So much that it worries me because I am hardly eating anything.  I have been trying hard to get in my fluids and protein but the most I get is water.  I feel kinda crappy and weak and nauseous.  I hope this changes a bit so I don't go too far in the direction on needing IV fluids to straighten me back out.  I have not really felt any hunger since my surgery on the 19th.  I only feel icky and empty.  :(

Can you try some Gatorade or powerade to get your electrolytes up? They also have vitamin B I them for energy. Might help....

Princess, Welcome to the gang!

Hey Ladies,

I guess i'm not the only one with the fluid intake thank GOD. I'm already tired of crystal light and chicken broth. I have been doing a lot more walking here in my apartment. It helps that I have a bit of a hallway to walk to and from the bedroom and living room. I'm happy that I was able to tackle going up and down the stairs in my building with no incidents. I live on the 4th floor no elevator. 

I can't wait to find out how much I weigh tomorrow. I refuse to get a scale until next month.

I bought some Poweraid Zero and I am trying it as we speak. ;)

Mickeywickie likes this

Hi Princess,

Welcome.   How did your surgery go?  how are you feeling now?

Kristy

My surgery went very well and I'm feeling pretty good...still struggling to get protein in like everyone.   I'm already on soft foods, and am having to be very careful what I introduce...my pouch seems finicky.    Still really no appetite, though it's nice to be able to put something a little solid in there.   

My biggest complaint is how tired I am....still really tired.   Everyone says that's normal, so I'm just waiting till it passes.  

Hope everyone is doing well today!

Johanina23 and eatingsmoke like this

Hi all,

I had my 2 week post op appt yesterday and my Doctor said I was doing extremely well.  I was able to move up to soft foods so I made some extra lean loose hamburger meat (which is on my list of things I can eat). I had 2 small bites and it sat like a rock in my tummy until it came back up.  Today I tried some bean soup and it hasn't come back up but it feels like its in my throat and I had like 3 teaspoons.  BUT Im not complaining because I got to eat FOOD, Not liquid.   I will keeping trying until I get it right.

Princess, I have not had any fatigue issues.  I have a lot more energy and my family says I am just happier. lol

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

eatingsmoke likes this

Morning all....second day back to work and all's well.....

Was tired when I got home lastnight, but it made me sleep all thru the night again. Only getting 4-5 hours was taking a toll.

Hope everyone else is doing just as well..

Keep up the fluids!!!    :D

eatingsmoke likes this

Update, 

I went to my post op appointment yesterday and I was in shock when I saw the numbers on the scale. I am 206 pounds. 13 pounds lost since surgery.  I am so happy. My NUT moved me onto the pureed diet and what a relief. I was tired of liquids and my taste buds were starting to get numb.

I think i'm going to follow the sample menus my Nut gave me so that i can make sure to get as many fluid levels and food intake. 

I went to Target yesterday to get some toiletries and some protein, so of course I used that as way to walk a little bit. By the time I got home I was exhausted. I spent the rest of the day on my couch.

How are you ladies holding up?

KristyOle and eatingsmoke like this

Hello All,

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well.  I am also doing pretty well. I'm not having any problems getting in my liquid or protein (thanks to Isopure powder) I have two more weeks until I can start with pureed foods. Cream of whatever soups are getting old, and cause terrible diarrhea that I am afraid to take meds to remedy. 

One thing I have noticed is my moods are way out of control. I feel like I am going through menopause or PMS again. My poor hubby. :unsure: 

I should be ecstatic. I have lost 26 lbs in less than a month. I am making good life changes. I am getting ready to head up into the mountains for 5 days of camping with some of my favorite people. But I am depressed. What is going on??

Anyway I wish you all A wonderful Independence Day!!

Hey everyone! I'm late to the party. My surgery was on 6/26 - so I'm officially a week out tomorrow.

I've been doing alright....haven't really needed the pain meds at all the last two days and am doing my best to walk walk walk and sip sip sip on water and my protein shakes. Nothing but liquids for me until I see my surgeon again on Tuesday.

I'm so glad I found this group!

Hello All,

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well.  I am also doing pretty well. I'm not having any problems getting in my liquid or protein (thanks to Isopure powder) I have two more weeks until I can start with pureed foods. Cream of whatever soups are getting old, and cause terrible diarrhea that I am afraid to take meds to remedy. 

One thing I have noticed is my moods are way out of control. I feel like I am going through menopause or PMS again. My poor hubby. :unsure:

I should be ecstatic. I have lost 26 lbs in less than a month. I am making good life changes. I am getting ready to head up into the mountains for 5 days of camping with some of my favorite people. But I am depressed. What is going on??

Anyway I wish you all A wonderful Independence Day!!

Apparently our fat cells store estrogen, which is then released as the fat is broken down...leaving us girls with hormone imbalances.   I too have been feeling pretty funky...if it gets too bad I plan on talking to my Dr. about it.  I sincerely hope you start to feel better soon!   Maybe the camping trip will help raise your spirits! :)

Well, last Tuesday I was feeling pretty nauseous and dehydrated so I went to the ER.  I knew I had been having trouble eating and drinking my fluids. Ended up finding out that not only was I dehydrated, but I had a fever, a small fluid pocket in my stomach and a small part of my spleen was dying.  My local ER found this after many tests including a CT of my chest and abdomen.  They were checking me for a blood clot because my blood work was increased for a possible clot.  They didn't feel comfortable treating me and had me transported back to Mooresville, NC by squad so I could be a direct admit to the hospital to see my surgeon.  i spent two days in the hospital receiving IV fluids and antibiotics.  I am back home and finishing an antitbiotic and feeling feeling much better.

Sorry it took me so long to update you guys.  Hope everyone else is doing well.  :)

KristyOle likes this

Oh no C!! I'm so sorry you went through all of that!  So glad you are on the road to recovery!! What does that mean, a small fluid pocket?  And why was your spleen dying?  Because of dehydration?

How is everyone else doing?  This board has been pretty quiet for awhile.

I have been stuck for about a week and 1/2 at the same weight loss.  I find it a little frustrating but my hubby reminds me my body is still in starvation mode.  Although I don't see it, quite a few people have noticed my loss.  I do have to say clothes are fitting pretty loose now too.  

What is everyone eating?  I am on my second week of soft foods.  I have added cottage cheese, refried beans, chicken, fish, greek yogurt, string cheese in addition to the 1-2 protein shakes I drink a day.  I have been out to 2 different restaurants and it didn't bother me at all.  The first time I just ordered boneless wings and ate 2, really slow.  The second time I went out I ordered a low cal dish that was cilantro lime rice, black beans and a piece of grilled chicken on top.  Pretty good but took most of it home.

Also trying to get my walking in.  Sometimes it's kind of hard when you have no energy because you really don't have that many calories in you!  For all of you that have gone back to work....how has it been?

Johanina23 likes this

Fluid pockets are common after surgery.  Fluid or blood collects in a pocket and should dissolve back into the body on its own.  Sometimes the pocket can have bacteria and become an abscess.  Not sure if mine had bacteria but i did have a fever and they put me on antibiotics just in case.  As far as part of my spleen dying, the doctor said sometimes small veins get crimped during surgery and therefore the blood flow stops to that particular area.  The area that is dying should shrivel up and shrink on its own.  if it continues to cause problems later, they will remove my spleen.  I seem to doing a lot better though.

Food wise, I am still on soft foods that can be mashed with a fork.  I can only eat about two teaspoons in one sitting unless I am doing chicken broth.  I have to be careful with anything too dry or solid even if I chew it up very good.  I have tried a few things that I ended up throwing back up.  Mashed potatoes are my main choice right now along with yogurt.  I have found a lot of things are to sweet now.  

I haven't had the first sense of being hungry yet.  Only feeling empty and having to make myself eat.  I have lost 26 pounds total.  I am sure my body is somewhat in starvation mode since I am not able to eat much at this point.  Right now it sounds like my main concern is staying hydrated.

Hi All,

I hope everyone had a great holiday, and everyone is doing well.

Our camping trip went great; we had great weather as it only rained on us for about 20 minutes on evening.  At that altitude at this time of year it was amazing.

Over our trip though my body decided that it is definitely lactose intolerant. Since all I am aloud to eat right now is cream of whatever soup (and protein shakes of course) that is a problem. I tried to not eat the soups for two days, and by the end of the second day I was weak as a kitten, and very shaky.  I called the Dr. when I got home to ask what I could do, and she said to change my protein (obviously) and continue with the soups. Now call me crazy but that doesn't make much since to me.  So I am doing my protein and my soups; I can't do much of anything because I am so weak. I am only getting about 300 calories/day that my body can make use of.  I get dizzy and light headed very fast because my body does not have time to absorb any nutrients from the soup before the food is flushed ( pardon the pun) through me. And I have another week to go before I can start pureed foods.

Thank you, Princess, for the info. I hope you are feeling better. And you were right; that camping trip did raise my spirits.

Wytrucker Girl,

I have found that the easiest thing for me to eat is mashed potatoes....even though it is not much at one time.  My protein shakes aren't going down the best either.   I keep thinking I need to find a different brand.  I did get one down after surgery and it was Unjury chocolate flavor.  I have had some chocolate milk as well.  I know that isn't the greatest choice but they told me to focus on drinking and staying hydrated since my hospital stay.  I have to wonder if I will ever eat normal food again or if it is just a part of the healing process.

I hope you have better luck and start feeling better.  Sounds like we are both kinda having the same problems.

Wytrucker Girl likes this

Hi Ladies,

My update is pretty much the same.  I went back to cream soup, sf pudding and yogurt.  I have the same problem with too solid or dry foods eatingsmoke.  It just sits in my throat and eventually comes back up.  Having trouble with the protein, it doesn't taste good and its hard to get down.  But everything is moving along great.  Im down 31lbs and feeling really good.  The only way I could be happier is if I could lose 20lbs a day.  lol. 

I went back to work on June 23rd.  I haven't had a problem at all but I work in an office so i didn't expect any. 

Hope all is well with everyone!

Kristy

Well, last Tuesday I was feeling pretty nauseous and dehydrated so I went to the ER.  I knew I had been having trouble eating and drinking my fluids. Ended up finding out that not only was I dehydrated, but I had a fever, a small fluid pocket in my stomach and a small part of my spleen was dying.  My local ER found this after many tests including a CT of my chest and abdomen.  They were checking me for a blood clot because my blood work was increased for a possible clot.  They didn't feel comfortable treating me and had me transported back to Mooresville, NC by squad so I could be a direct admit to the hospital to see my surgeon.  i spent two days in the hospital receiving IV fluids and antibiotics.  I am back home and finishing an antitbiotic and feeling feeling much better.

Sorry it took me so long to update you guys.  Hope everyone else is doing well.   :)

So sorry to hear this!   Hope you continue to get better!

eatingsmoke likes this

KristyOle,

At least I am not the only one struggling with these issues.  I can't hardly stomach the protein shakes.  I sure hope we both move past this!  I am stuck around 24-26 pounds.   I don't know if it is because i am not eating enough and my body is in starvation mode or what.  

KristyOle likes this

Thanks princessblog.  Hopefully each day will get better with healing.

Hope all of you are feeling better soon!

I started purees this week and have had the tiniest bits of refried beans and guacamole. I also was able to eat greek yogurt. I am feeling pretty good now and my incisions are healing up nicely.

The only protein shakes I can stomach are the Premier Protein chocolate ones from Costco. I used to drink the Ensure High Protein ones but one day I just couldn't take another drink.

Next Thursday I get to start soft foods and can't wait to CHEW something.