ctshepherd

11 months post op with left side pain

Hi. I am new to this forum and was looking for some advice. I had a VBG done in 2003 and lost 100 pounds and had kept it off, however, I developed horrible acid reflux which medication could not correct. After several years of not being able to sleep lying down and coughing much of the night, I was told the only way to fix the problem was to have a revision to a gastric bypass. I did not want to have the surgery and overall I have not been very happy with it aside from the fact that it did fix the reflux and I can now sleep. My main question is this - I occassionally develop severe pain in my left side - it hurts to the touch, it hurts to breathe and it hurts to move - but it seems to be related to having gas or needing to have a bowel movement as the pain generally goes away after. Does anyone else have this issue? As I stated, I only get this occassionally - it is not an everyday thing, but it really hurts and I don't know if it might be related to something else. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Tracey

I occasionally get pain or discommfort on the left side right under my rib cage.  I believe it is my pouch.  Its low level (except for once when I had horrible bloating for 10 days), and like you described it goes away after a BM or some time passes.  Sometimes it goes away with drinking water.  I notice it most if I have something that has certain kinds of sugar alcohols or if I eat a sugar free treat and I haven't had protein in the last couple hours.  If it is frequent or severe, its worth a call to your bariatric doc (PCPs tend to go off in a lot of well meaning but incorrect directions with abdominal pain).  If you are a woman and the pain is also in your back on the left, check with your PCP - could be urinary tract infection

Interestingly, I also have a sharp pain on my left side that I can tell is triggered by gas moving through that area. My surgeon assumes it is adhesions kind of tugging on my intestines as the gas passes through.

However, I would recommend you run it by your surgeon so you can get a physical exam in case it is something more urgent like a hernia.