EB17

NORTHWESTERN Dr Alex Nagle or Dr Eric Hungness - Chicago, Il

469 posts in this topic

There's been a flurry of activity here, and I've been meaning to post an update since Friday. I'll start with me then circle back to other people.

I had my Nutrition 1 class on Thursday morning. I already have a good feel for reading nutrition labels, but it was helpful to hear how the nutritional information fits with the surgery.The other topic covered was fiber. I've never concerned myself with fiber, but I'm embracing the process and following their recommendations. I've been logging for a week and a half, and about a third of the time I hit 25 grams of fiber with food alone. I'm also eating about 1600 calories a day right now, so once I my intake goes down, I doubt I'll ever take in as much fiber as they recommend. So I picked up some generic benefiber this weekend and started supplementing. Pretty painless; mixes well with water and goes down easy.

So, after having my Nutrition 1 class on Thursday, I see my nutritionist follow-up in my calendar during April instead of May. I knew it was a May appointment, so it was definitely wrong in my calendar. I called the schedulers to see when the appointment was, and while I was on the phone, I asked if I'd been cleared for my Nutrition 2 class. I'd been cleared for Nutrition 2, the surgical consult, and Nutrition 3. Wow. I now have every appointment I need prior to scheduling surgery lined up, and the last one is on June 18. It feels like once you get approvals, the flood gates open up.

Now to respond to others...

Samma - I don't know how follow up is, because I haven't reached surgery yet. I know support groups exist, and you could call to see if people who have had their surgery elsewhere can join. You might also ask Madhouse Melissa about support groups with Northshore, where she's having her surgery next week.

John - Bummer that you weren't advised to get the EGD earlier in the process. I wouldn't worry about it. Just get it done. It's not going to affect your approval for the surgery from your insurance company. I know that if I were the surgeon, I'd want as much information as possible before cutting into my patient, and that's exactly what the endoscopy will do, provide your doctors information. Stay zen; you've got this.

Cheryl - See if your PCP will add the endoscopy onto the order for the colonoscopy, and if she's not open to that, call Kaitlin and explain that you have a colonoscopy scheduled for two days before your consultation with Dr. Nagle, and see if he can order an endocopy so you can do it at the same time. And absolutely yes, you can get both done at the same time. I had an upper and lower GI in December, independent of pursuing WLS, so I went into this process with mine already done. I highly recommend doing them at the same time. Much more convenient to schedule one test instead of two, and you will only have to be sedated once.

ETA: vonnie - Thanks for sharing the link to that article. I had my endoscopy done as part of my normal GI checkups. My dad had colon cancer (cured), and his brother had stomach cancer (remarkably, cured in part by a full gastrectomy despite being stage IV at diagnosis), and their father died of esophageal cancer. With my family history, I stay current on my GI studies. If not for my family history, I wouldn't have even had a baseline colonoscopy until 4 years from now.

Edited by WendyH

I don't feel a need for the support groups. My surgery was almost 4 years ago and I never saw a nut/went to group or anything after and did fine on my own(I'm actually at my lowest weight now). I more want someone for labs and follow up of my actual health in relationship to the surgery, I kicked butt at the whole life style change/mental game, this has really been the easiest weight loss journey I've ever done

John...do you think this was maybe a requirement by your insurance plan?  It seems odd that this was sprung on you both all of a sudden.  It makes me a little nervous, honestly.  I'll try to stay zen, but, I'm still really hoping I can get a May surgery date.

Samma - Makes sense. Since you had your WLS at Kane, I assume you're suburban. Depending on where you live and work, Northshore might be the better bet.

I live in Lincoln Park so northshore is a hike. I work at Prentice and my plastic guy is out of northwestern, Masonic and st joes are my closest but I think both are crappy hospitals.

I live in Lincoln Park so northshore is a hike. I work at Prentice and my plastic guy is out of northwestern, Masonic and st joes are my closest but I think both are crappy hospitals.

Hi Gang -

Love all the activity on this forum.  :)

Samantha:  I absolutely love my Primary Care Physician, Dr. Courtney Noble.   She is affiliated with the Northwestern weight loss surgery program, so knows about weight loss surgery patients, but is just an overall great physician.    I think she'd be a really good choice for regular visits/follow up.   I found her through the Northwestern program, but will be keeping her long afterwards as my PCP.   She can be reached at (312)926-6000 and is located at 676 N. St Clair suite 2300.

Wendy:  Thank you so much for your advice.  I did reach out to Dr. Noble and asked if she would add an endoscopy to my colonoscopy.  I was able to get both scheduled for May 8th, a week after my appointment with Dr. Nagle.  So if Dr. Nagle wants me to do it, it'll already be on the calendar.  If he doesn't, I can always call and cancel the endoscopy portion.  

John: Again, thank you for letting us know that you and your husband both needed the endoscopy.   Your heads-up probably saved me a good month of scheduling delays.   :)

I really appreciate all of the advice and suggestions you all have.  It's so nice knowing I have you all for support!

Have a great day,

Cheryl

Thanks for that. My plastic surgeon is on the 20th floor so it's perfect, I'll call the office and see

Hello All. 

A new update! Ed and I both received approval from our insurance company this week and the confirmation letters came in the mail today dated April 3rd!  So, that hurdle has now passed and didn't seem the least bit affected by the endoscopy procedure. Thank you PapaG for the reassurance that you had yours and then had surgery not much later. Thank you everyone else for your kind support. I don't know how both Ed and I missed that kernel of information about needing the endoscopic exam, but we sure did. We are now back in a good place mentally and know to let the process work itself out.  Everyone gets one "freakout moment" in the journey, so I guess this was ours. LOL!  We are back on track and feeling great!

Best wishes to all, 

John

John, congratulations on your insurance approval. Thanks for letting us know. You'll be done before you know it.

Congrats John.

Yes, congratulations John. This is great news!

I did ask Laurie Maimonides on Thursday about the endoscopy and she said Dr. Hungness always requires one and the Dr. Nagle doesn't always prescribe it, but does like to have that info before surgery, so she said getting it done with my colonoscopy was a good thing.

Glad to know your insurance did come through. You and Ed are in the final presurgery stretch! :)

Scheduled my surgery date with Q today for June 16th!  I could have gone in May, but due to work conflicts I had to push it back.  Ironically, Ed, who has been ahead of me throughout this entire process is still in file review and so he's not yet been contacted to book a date.  He's cool though and is very supportive and happy for me. I'm now feeling all kinds of emotions but mainly, I'm psyched to have a date!!!!  Yahooooooooo!

Scheduled my surgery date with Q today for June 16th!  I could have gone in May, but due to work conflicts I had to push it back.  Ironically, Ed, who has been ahead of me throughout this entire process is still in file review and so he's not yet been contacted to book a date.  He's cool though and is very supportive and happy for me. I'm now feeling all kinds of emotions but mainly, I'm psyched to have a date!!!!  Yahooooooooo!

Congrats, awesome news.

Congrats John! Wonderful news. June will be here before you know it! :)

Hello all!

I love reading all your posts about making it through the program I'm just checking in myself. I had my first nutrition class yesterday with Laurie she was very very nice. I have my apt with Dr. Hungness today at 3pm! I'm getting a little nervous! Can anyone elaborate for me is the surgery consult just a sit down and talk kind of thing or is there an exam associated with it? Sitting on the train just overthinking things lol

John and Ed congratulations on getting approved and getting your dates scheduled! How long did it take you to get approved, also once you were approved how long did it take you to get your surgery date?

Hope everyone is doing well. I have my next two classes scheduled already so I'm hoping that this goes well today and my insurance approved right away.

Take care

Congrats John!! My sleeve was last June - great time of year to have the surgery imo! :)

Pierce, just ask any questions you have about the procedure & what they do day of (who will be there, who is involved, i.e. him, in checking in with you post op at the hospital, etc. you'll do great!!

So just had my meeting talked with hungness for maybe ten minutes. He wasn't as personable as I would have thought he would be but that's alright. He said no reason I can't have surgery and to just continue on my path.

So just had my meeting talked with hungness for maybe ten minutes. He wasn't as personable as I would have thought he would be but that's alright. He said no reason I can't have surgery and to just continue on my path.

Glad the appointment went well. Not surprised the visit was brief, those guys are very busy and hopping from appointment to appointment. It's always a good idea to go in with a list of questions, it forces them to take their time and answer them. Not to mention, the more information you can get the better, information is power.

So today I got the official approval from Dr. Hungness! He is making me go for an EGD though, Im a little worried about it. I dont have any issues with the stomach or esophogus just worried about being put down. Im praising god today for helpful appointment schedulers. Initially I was told that the soonest they could get me in for a egd would be september but there was a cancelation so I am going in Wednesday the 6th. Pretty exciting but scary at the same time. Q got a hold of me the other day as well to let me know that she had all of my insurance things together and that she was going to submit them May 11th after my second dieticien class. Hope all is well with everyone else! Im getting really excited and nervous for surgery coming up!

BigSweetJohn likes this

Things have been a little hectic and I haven't posted much, although I have been reading the posts.  So, the update with me is everything is all clear.  I go for my Class 4 on May 12, and surgery is June 1.  My insurance approval took less than 24 hours (a benefit of working in HR).  So, once everything was finally sent to my insurance, the approval was instant.  However, I will warn you all....I thought everything had been submitted to insurance before it actually was.  After a series of phone calls, I finally discovered that nothing had been submitted because they were waiting on my approval report from the psychologist, Dr. Saks.  No one told me there was anything missing.  Once I discovered that, I emailed Dr. Saks myself.  He was very apologetic and sent his report the same day.  But we wasted about 3 weeks of just "waiting" where I thought we were waiting on insurance.  My advice is to make sure you stay on top of your own information.  I made a lot of calls/emails to Quiana in Dr. Nagle's office and to my insurance company to figure everything out.  I had really been hoping to get a May surgery date, and with my persistence, I came pretty close with the June 1 date.

BigSweetJohn likes this

Glad to hear everything is moving along for everyone.

Pierce, don't worry about the EGD, they are common pre surgery.  I had one and no issues with it.  Just another test.

Pierce, what time on the 11th are you doing your Nutrition 2 class? I'll be in the noon session.

My appointment with Dr. Nagle is Wednesday the 6th. Kaitlin confirmed she had the report from Brad Saks, so the only thing that could possibly be missing is their referral form completed by my PCP (which I suspect they have because I was cleared to make every appointment except Nutrition 4, but I will confirm).

A question I have for Dr. Nagle is about my endoscopy. My Gastro sent a reminder that it's time for my follow-up EGD from the one I had in December. I want to know if it makes sense to do it now and whether I should stick with my unaffiliated suburban gastroenterologist given that I'm having bariatric surgery.

Edit: meaning-changing typo

Edited by WendyH

Congratulations Heddamae!  Best wishes Pierce!  Good luck WendyH!  So excited things are moving along (despite the little hiccups) for each of you!!!  We'll all be svelte and lissom in no time at all!

heddamae likes this

Can't wait to welcome everyone to the losers bench.

heddamae likes this