EB17

NORTHWESTERN Dr Alex Nagle or Dr Eric Hungness - Chicago, Il

490 posts in this topic

I'm in the final stages too.  I don't have my date for surgery yet but I'm close.  

Cyndi990 likes this

Hello everyone, my name is Vanessa, I am new. I was wondering if there is a Facebook group or page for bariatric surgery for NMH? Or any other Facebook group/page you guys can suggest? Also, can anyone give me a timeline guess for surgery? I have met with NP, Dietitian, finished online Emmi, got Psychologist approval, and have done class 1. I have my first appointment with Dr. Hungness on April 4th. Any suggestions/advice to make sure everything goes smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:34 PM, vpv0807 said:

Hello everyone, my name is Vanessa, I am new. I was wondering if there is a Facebook group or page for bariatric surgery for NMH? Or any other Facebook group/page you guys can suggest? Also, can anyone give me a timeline guess for surgery? I have met with NP, Dietitian, finished online Emmi, got Psychologist approval, and have done class 1. I have my first appointment with Dr. Hungness on April 4th. Any suggestions/advice to make sure everything goes smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I think once you have gone through the surgery and you join NMH support group, they do have a website for support for bariatric surgery.  I am 6 weeks out and have not been to a support group yet.  Hoping to get to one next month.  If you go onto Facebook, and you type in VSG or WLS, you will see some groups pop up.  Beware, they are not private and your friends and family may get something that says "sally liked VSG you should too..." or whatever.  I found one private group... I don't have it with me....   It is not northwestern specific. I love Dr. Hungness. He did my VSG on January 30th.  he was really great!  When you meet with him, ask a lot of questions.  Your time with him is limited... When he did my surgery, I will never forget him coming to see me right before they wheeled me down and with a big smile on his face he said "Come on... let's do this!!!"  I knew I was going to be ok!!!

After I met with him, he ordered a sleep study and an endoscopy.  My surgery was a month and a half out from my meeting with him.... Good Luck!  You will do great!

If you are on myfitnesspal, there are a ton of support on there!!!

vpv0807 likes this

Speaking of support groups, curious if anyone will attend tomorrow's meeting. Hope to see some of you there. 

How's everyone doing? Looks like the thread has been dormant for a few months. Just passed the 150-pounds-lost mark Monday. Once I hit month six or seven post-op, it really starts to feel like work to keep losing. We all know it will eventually, but it's taking a little time to adjust. Really trying to increase my activity and follow the you-bite-it-you-write-it accountability (I have issues w/ grazing). Overall, though, happy with my progress and my quality of life. Would love to hear updates from everyone else.

Clickin likes this

Hi! Thanks for checking in and happy 4th! I totally understand where you are as I am right there myself. "plateaued" with the wait loss in the middle of May. The scale would not budge from 160. 

My husband got me an Apple Watch and that has helped me get back on track from the grazing. I set up all these reminders on Baritastic and it's easier to countdown the 30 minutes between drinking and eating. 

I also finally found an exercise that I like- Barre- which is challenging but just the right speed for me as I am uncoordinated and can't do hi impact stuff very well due to other previous surgeries.  I go to Pure Barre in Lincolnshire Square and what's nice is the classes regardless of time are filled with women representing all different body shapes and sizes.  There was even a guy in my Friday afternoon class!  The instructors are super nice, very helpful, and encouraging.  Since starting, I've dropped another 5 pounds.  

I am currently seeing Dr Tomasino to work out some other issues related to the weight loss.  I can't seem to let go of my bigger clothes.  

I hope some of the older members of the thread wouldn't mind sharing motivational tips or words of  encouragement to help us newbies.  Thanks in advance!

Hi all! First of all, I want to give everyone in this 20-page thread a huge Jedi hug (a hug... with my mind). All of this information has been so invaluable to me as I start to navigate the process at Northwestern.

I'm bumping the thread to ask a question about the nutrition classes and how they're scheduled. I have my meeting with the dietitian (and my psych eval) on Friday, 8/4. Will I be able to start nutrition classes in August? I think I read somewhere that the first nutrition class is held the first week of the month, the second the second week, and so on. Is that correct? And do you suppose this is counted as the first week in August? 

Any insight would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance! 

I should have known better than to bump such an old thread. :) 

In case this helps anyone else in the future - yes, the nutrition classes appear to be Nutrition 1 in the first week of the month, Nutrition 2 in the second week, and so on. At the time I was scheduling, the options appear to be Mondays at 12 and 3, or Wednesdays at 9 am. I do think they count week 1 as the first full week of the month. I was able to get in to a Monday 8/7 Nutrition 1 class (today! yay!) after I met with Rebecca (my RD) on Friday 8/4. 

Jen581791 and Michael_A like this

Welcome Kristin - how did your first appointments go?

I just had my one year followup - and wow does the time fly.  Welcome!

Thanks, @gtalan! My appointments went great. I really like Rebecca, my RD, and I had a nice appointment with Dr. Stickler for my psych consult. I've done all the necessary steps to get my surgical consult, and Kaitlin says she put me on the call list to get my appointment scheduled! So exciting. It's going faster than I expected - I went to the seminar on 7/13, met with Kaitlin on 7/24. I was pretty diligent about trying to get an earlier RD appointment, though. (My original was for 9/25 - I'm well over a month ahead of schedule because I kept calling to get in.)

Can I complain about Nutrition 1 for a second? Ha. Maybe it's because I've done so much research, and read so much in this forum, but I found that the others in the class were dragging down the discussion. We spent 20 minutes with a couple folks going back and forth with Ashley about beverages. What do you mean, I can't have soda? What about juice? Not even if it's diluted? Blah blah blah. Grrrr.

1 year out and look at how far down you are! Congratulations! I can't wait to be where you are. :) 

LOL about your experiences at the nutrition class, Kristin.  I felt the same way!  I recall that in one of my classes, one of the participants was complaining to Ashley about having to chew her food.  "But I can't do that," she complained.  "It's so gross!"  Meanwhile, I was thinking, "isn't it kind of gross to not chew one's food to some degree?"  :unsure:

If nothing else, the classes can be helpful to reinforce what behaviors are best avoided after surgery.

kristinwitha_k likes this

I got lucky and didnt have to go to any nutrition classes.  There was enough written material that I felt comfortable with the information.

I met with psych, nutritionist, and Dr. Nagle all on 1 day, and had surgery 5 weeks later. 

That's interesting. Were you self-pay? I'm just wondering if the nutrition classes are part of the program's proof of preparing you for surgery to provide to the insurance companies. I certainly wasn't given an option - and to be sure, I don't really need the classes, either. 

Gosh no - I think my bill was like $52,000 that was submitted to insurance - I have United Healthcare.  (I am sure the self pay amount would have been much less, but I still would not have wanted to pay it!)

I had been fat for years so my insurance did not make me go through any specific time frame before surgery.

Ha, ouch!! So no self pay. :) Got it. 

I wonder what you did or said differently - I was 230 pounds at age 14, so most definitely in the "fat for years" category, and from the very beginning at the seminar, the classes were presented as non-optional. Nor do I have any timeline requirement from my insurance, just a request that the program state I've been prepared for surgery. You must have the magic touch! Oh well, a few nutrition classes won't hurt me. The materials will be nice to get, at least. I'll try not to roll my eyes too hard at the dumb questions lest they get stuck that way.