EB17

NORTHWESTERN Dr Alex Nagle or Dr Eric Hungness - Chicago, Il

481 posts in this topic

I'm in the final stages too.  I don't have my date for surgery yet but I'm close.  

Cyndi990 likes this

Hello everyone, my name is Vanessa, I am new. I was wondering if there is a Facebook group or page for bariatric surgery for NMH? Or any other Facebook group/page you guys can suggest? Also, can anyone give me a timeline guess for surgery? I have met with NP, Dietitian, finished online Emmi, got Psychologist approval, and have done class 1. I have my first appointment with Dr. Hungness on April 4th. Any suggestions/advice to make sure everything goes smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:34 PM, vpv0807 said:

Hello everyone, my name is Vanessa, I am new. I was wondering if there is a Facebook group or page for bariatric surgery for NMH? Or any other Facebook group/page you guys can suggest? Also, can anyone give me a timeline guess for surgery? I have met with NP, Dietitian, finished online Emmi, got Psychologist approval, and have done class 1. I have my first appointment with Dr. Hungness on April 4th. Any suggestions/advice to make sure everything goes smoothly would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I think once you have gone through the surgery and you join NMH support group, they do have a website for support for bariatric surgery.  I am 6 weeks out and have not been to a support group yet.  Hoping to get to one next month.  If you go onto Facebook, and you type in VSG or WLS, you will see some groups pop up.  Beware, they are not private and your friends and family may get something that says "sally liked VSG you should too..." or whatever.  I found one private group... I don't have it with me....   It is not northwestern specific. I love Dr. Hungness. He did my VSG on January 30th.  he was really great!  When you meet with him, ask a lot of questions.  Your time with him is limited... When he did my surgery, I will never forget him coming to see me right before they wheeled me down and with a big smile on his face he said "Come on... let's do this!!!"  I knew I was going to be ok!!!

After I met with him, he ordered a sleep study and an endoscopy.  My surgery was a month and a half out from my meeting with him.... Good Luck!  You will do great!

If you are on myfitnesspal, there are a ton of support on there!!!

vpv0807 likes this

Speaking of support groups, curious if anyone will attend tomorrow's meeting. Hope to see some of you there. 

How's everyone doing? Looks like the thread has been dormant for a few months. Just passed the 150-pounds-lost mark Monday. Once I hit month six or seven post-op, it really starts to feel like work to keep losing. We all know it will eventually, but it's taking a little time to adjust. Really trying to increase my activity and follow the you-bite-it-you-write-it accountability (I have issues w/ grazing). Overall, though, happy with my progress and my quality of life. Would love to hear updates from everyone else.

Clickin likes this

Hi! Thanks for checking in and happy 4th! I totally understand where you are as I am right there myself. "plateaued" with the wait loss in the middle of May. The scale would not budge from 160. 

My husband got me an Apple Watch and that has helped me get back on track from the grazing. I set up all these reminders on Baritastic and it's easier to countdown the 30 minutes between drinking and eating. 

I also finally found an exercise that I like- Barre- which is challenging but just the right speed for me as I am uncoordinated and can't do hi impact stuff very well due to other previous surgeries.  I go to Pure Barre in Lincolnshire Square and what's nice is the classes regardless of time are filled with women representing all different body shapes and sizes.  There was even a guy in my Friday afternoon class!  The instructors are super nice, very helpful, and encouraging.  Since starting, I've dropped another 5 pounds.  

I am currently seeing Dr Tomasino to work out some other issues related to the weight loss.  I can't seem to let go of my bigger clothes.  

I hope some of the older members of the thread wouldn't mind sharing motivational tips or words of  encouragement to help us newbies.  Thanks in advance!