EB17

NORTHWESTERN Dr Alex Nagle or Dr Eric Hungness - Chicago, Il

469 posts in this topic

Someone in my pre-op class this week asked about Centrum Silver specifically, but the nutritionist told her to steer clear; I'd have to check my notes for her rationale.  (Of course, that's not to take away from your positive experience, Res Ipsa — but I wanted to make sure MGap knew what our program is saying.)

 

Res Ipsa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fitz said:

Someone in my pre-op class this week asked about Centrum Silver specifically, but the nutritionist told her to steer clear; I'd have to check my notes for her rationale.  (Of course, that's not to take away from your positive experience, Res Ipsa — but I wanted to make sure MGap knew what our program is saying.)

 

Centrum Silver does not have any iron in it, which is why some weight loss surgery programs tell people not to use them.

But, some people (like me) do not need iron supplements due to naturally high levels of iron in our bodies; also some programs (like the one that used) suggest that iron be taken separately so that the dosage can be regulated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2016 at 11:18 AM, heddamae said:

Hey gang....I haven't checked in for a while and just wanted to share my latest milestone.  I surpassed 200 pounds lost this week!!!  I'm down 201.4 now and feeling great.  Hoping everyone else is doing well.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  You should be very proud!  Way to go!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2016 at 1:24 PM, SuperMom69 said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  You should be very proud!  Way to go!  

 

Thanks SuperMom69....I have lost a couple more pounds since that post, but I've been holding steady at 205 pounds lost for some time now.  I would like to lose a little more, but I need to start exercising to make that happen.

When is/was your surgery?

Edited by heddamae
ignatius likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, heddamae said:

Thanks SuperMom69....I have lost a couple more pounds since that post, but I've been holding steady at 205 pounds lost for some time now.  I would like to lose a little more, but I need to start exercising to make that happen.

When is/was your surgery?

I have my 3rd class on the 19th of December and then meet with the surgeon on the 20th.  Hoping to have surgery (VSG) mid to late January.  (Does that seem reasonable?)  I am super excited.  You are doing GREAT!!!!  Keep it up!  You inspire me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SuperMom, if you're trying to fast-track: one thing you'll want to find out about is getting an endoscopy scheduled ASAP.  I finished all of my classes in early September and met with Dr Hungness on September 20th, and then... things slowed waaaaaaaaaaaay down.  I was told that they wouldn't even consider scheduling the surgery until the endoscopy had been performed, so if you don't have that hurdle with which to contend, things might move more quickly.

However, it seems like some people have been able to fly through the NMH system, so who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering if anyone else might be having a problem with always being cold following the surgery? I have always been one to prefer warmer weather over cold, but since the surgery I feel like I get chilled so quickly and have a really hard time warming up. All of my vitamin levels are fantastic, so I don't think it's an iron deficiency. I'm 47-- so I'm kind of wondering if maybe I should just wait for pre-menopause to kick in?!?

any other ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HeatherF said:

Wondering if anyone else might be having a problem with always being cold following the surgery? I have always been one to prefer warmer weather over cold, but since the surgery I feel like I get chilled so quickly and have a really hard time warming up. All of my vitamin levels are fantastic, so I don't think it's an iron deficiency. I'm 47-- so I'm kind of wondering if maybe I should just wait for pre-menopause to kick in?!?

any other ideas?

Yes, I'm cold ALL. THE. TIME! I cannot stand for any cold air to touch my body. I carry a sweatshirt with me to the pool in the summer!! Don't scrimp on paying good money for a winter coat. Mittens instead of gloves. Scarves and hats. Lots of layers. Lots of blankets on the couch and the bed. I am almost 3 years out, and I don't think it's going to get better....

HeatherF likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supermom- I completed all appointments and classes 1-3 by mid-June then met with Dr Hungness mid-July. Then I waited. Mid-September, I was told I needed an endoscopy. Lucky for me, I work really close to Northwestern and begged the scheduler to notify me if there was an earlier appointment that what she could schedule me for. A cancellation worked in my favor. Afterwards, Quiana submitted to insurance and by mid-October, everything was clear except Class 4 and my work schedule. The week I was able to go to Class 4, Ashley was out of town and she's the only one who can teach the class. I ended up starting 2 week pre-op diet the day before I saw Ashley for class 4. That was November 8th. Surgery took place on the 21st. Post-op was the 29th.  Imy first post op group is December 22 at 430 pm. 

SuperMom69 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2016 at 10:41 PM, MGap said:

Supermom- I completed all appointments and classes 1-3 by mid-June then met with Dr Hungness mid-July. Then I waited. Mid-September, I was told I needed an endoscopy. Lucky for me, I work really close to Northwestern and begged the scheduler to notify me if there was an earlier appointment that what she could schedule me for. A cancellation worked in my favor. Afterwards, Quiana submitted to insurance and by mid-October, everything was clear except Class 4 and my work schedule. The week I was able to go to Class 4, Ashley was out of town and she's the only one who can teach the class. I ended up starting 2 week pre-op diet the day before I saw Ashley for class 4. That was November 8th. Surgery took place on the 21st. Post-op was the 29th.  Imy first post op group is December 22 at 430 pm. 

MGap, I might see you there. I was sleeved on 10/31 and have follow-ups on 12/22. Not sure if I can make the support group, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 10:41 PM, MGap said:

Supermom- I completed all appointments and classes 1-3 by mid-June then met with Dr Hungness mid-July. Then I waited. Mid-September, I was told I needed an endoscopy. Lucky for me, I work really close to Northwestern and begged the scheduler to notify me if there was an earlier appointment that what she could schedule me for. A cancellation worked in my favor. Afterwards, Quiana submitted to insurance and by mid-October, everything was clear except Class 4 and my work schedule. The week I was able to go to Class 4, Ashley was out of town and she's the only one who can teach the class. I ended up starting 2 week pre-op diet the day before I saw Ashley for class 4. That was November 8th. Surgery took place on the 21st. Post-op was the 29th.  Imy first post op group is December 22 at 430 pm. 

wait what? Post op GROUP? There are POST OP GROUPS? I didn't know this. Please, more details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for the vets: Did you wait to begin exercise until you were at the six-week mark, or until your follow-up appointment with Kaitlyn? I'm six weeks post-op Monday, but my next round of appointments aren't scheduled until 12/22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@fabfurni-- Ashleigh told me they are on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month so for December the last one is the 22nd. It's at 9 am. 

Edited by MGap
Time change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone!  Just came back from class 3 with Ashleigh.  Question:  Did you all do a 2 week liquid diet before the surgery or did they have you just on a high protein low carb diet?  This is the first I have heard or read that we will not be doing a liquid diet 2 weeks prior and while I am sure I should be jumping up and down for joy, I am not.... because everything I have ready says that is what you do to shrink the liver.  Am I missing something?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi SuperMom!  No, you're not missing anything.  Even though other programs have their patients on all-liquid diets, Ashley had mentioned that the low carb nature of the NMH pre-op diet is sufficient to shrink the liver before surgery.

That said, I think Ashley also recommended having one to two protein shakes per day while on the pre-op diet, so... there's really not that much room for one to slip up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Met with Dr. Hungness today.  He seems like a great surgeon.  Very informative.  I am very excited.  He did schedule me for a sleep study and the endoscopy.  This will push my surgery date probably into February.  Yay!  Moving forward! 

Res Ipsa likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear you had a good session with Dr Hungness.  I've been impressed with him every time we've met.  You're in good hands!

SuperMom69 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:55 PM, heddamae said:

Thanks SuperMom69....I have lost a couple more pounds since that post, but I've been holding steady at 205 pounds lost for some time now.  I would like to lose a little more, but I need to start exercising to make that happen.

When is/was your surgery?

Just got my surgery date scheduled for January 30th!  OMG!  Super excited!!!  Ready to be on the losers bench! 

You can do this... just put one foot in front of the other where exercise is concerned.  Look how far you've come.  You inspire me!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:38 PM, MGap said:

@fabfurni-- Ashleigh told me they are on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month so for December the last one is the 22nd. It's at 9 am. 

MGap:  How is it going since your surgery?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now