Kgcoyne

Thyroid medication after gastric bypass

Anyone have input into Thyroid medication after gastric bypass?

Does the surgery effect dosage?   I am meeting with the endicrinologist tomorrow, and my fear, and yes I will mention it to her....is that she has no clue about gastric bypass and the medications, or how they are absorbed.  I may be wrong, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks

Kim

I am not long term yet... almost 10 months post op.  I will say that just in the last 10 months my medication was first upped, then backed back down, b/c when they upped me, it ended up throwing me hyperthyroid.  Hopefully, this will get me back to normal, and I guess time will tell how it stays.  

I haven't started on Thyroid meds yet, but will by the end of the month because I have a nasty Goiter that is pressing on my windpipe so I have to get part or all of my Thyroid out (I'll know how much next week).  My surgeon told me that with her Bariatric patients, she tests them more frequently in order to make sure their levels are OK.  She also told me that we may need to experiment with when in the day I take it for best absorbption (like away from my other liquids, foods, meds, and vitamins). 

Please keep us posted and I'll do the same for you.. 

I had 1/2 my thyroid taken out 13 days ago.... because I had a large nodule on the right side.  An earlier biopsy came back inconclusive, so it was recommended they take out half oy my thyroid instead of the whole thing, that way no medication would be needed.  Got the nodule tested... hoped it would come back clean.  But it was not to be, its cancer, so I will be going back to have the rest of my thyroid taken out in about 10 weeks.  I need to heal completely from the first surgery. 

UGH what a pain, I took the chance and lost.... so be it.  Its very treatable, so Im not so worried about that... more about gaining weight !!

Good luck to you

OMG!!!  You too!!!!

I'm sorry this is happening to you too, but thank God I'm not alone.  Can we be Missing Thyroid Buddies? lol

Please read my post:

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/94244-9-months-out-and-now-thyroid-surgery/?p=1057924

It just helps to know I'm not alone or crazy when it comes to this thing.

Did you wonky thyroid slow down your weight loss before it was removed? 

What was your TSH level pre-op.  Mine is 1.26

Was recovery hard?  HOw long in the hospital. 

Thank you for responding to my post above in your thread. 

--3K99Mommy or Sandy

I have been on a low dose thyroid med for over a year.  I still need it post-op as my numbers are still in the low end of normal while taking it.  I don't think the surgery has had an affect one way or another.  I did have the sleeve, so I am not sure about absorption rates for GB which could be an issue.

Sandy,

We certainly have somewhat similar stories.  However, I did not have any issues with my thyroid.  My levels were fine, no idea what they were, because up until this point, I had no reason to really care?  ....however as for it effecting my weightloss, no idea, and I did not get down past 174.  Losing just stopped for me.  and now gaining a little here and there.  Thats why I am more worried about gaining more weight!

As for the thyroid surgery, it was pretty easy.  Its a day surgery. I had it on a thursday morning around 10 and I was home by 4 pm, and I took friday off and saturday and sunday and was back to work monday.  Your neck is still a little sore, but not bad, a little hard to swallow like a sore throat.  They prescribed me 40 percosets!(sp?)  I didnt even fill the prescription, I just took Extra strength tylenol.  Now, I dont have any little kids running around, so it was easy to relax.  I work from home, so again, was easier than if I had to go into the office.

I tend to tollerate pain pretty well.  I listen to what I am told to do, and do it.  Just like all the rules before and after GBS.  The liquid bandage is just starting to come off my incision now.  It does not look pretty, let me tell you.  But I still have "purple" on my neck under that bandage from the marker, so until it comes off, I cant tell 100%.   There are no stitches on the outside.

Hope that helps a little !

Kim

I take my meds right before bed bc of all the vitamins, etc. that way it's been hours since my last vitamin anything so I'm good for max absorption

Thanks Kim.

It realy does help. i know docs don't know everything about our bodies yet & I'm sure once we get some good replacement thyroid hormone in us, we start to really loose again (fingers crossed). Best of luck to you too.

--Sandy

Don't be too sure about your Endo's experience with WLS. My Endo is the doctor that referred me for a bypass and she is their preferred Endo for their patients.

I had my thyroid removed in July. Because I have sleep apnea I had to stay overnight, no big thing. It was cancer, but they got it all. I take a dose of thyroid medication every morning an hour before consuming any food, to help with absorption (doctor's orders) and get my thyroid levels checked every 3 months.

I did lose a vocal cord during the procedure. I now have no volume and sound breathy. Some men think its sexy, but it is annoying to not be able to raise my voice. Such is life.

Good luck!

I take synthroid, I don't think it had any effect on my weight loss. My dose was lowered at 6 months out.

My endo originally lowered my dose, saying when we lose weight we need less, but then he upped it again because of the lack of absorption issues. Ironically I am now at exactly the same dose as I was before the surgery. (almost 3 years ago)

I have taken synthroid for years. PCP has kept close eye on thyroid levels over the years and has adjusted dosage twice since surgery. He says that I will never go off of it, but that the dosage had to altered because of weight loss and may have to be changed again until we get it right. I don't think of it as a big deal. I chew the tab first thing in the a.m. and forget about it.

I had nodules on my thyroid and the whole thyroid was enlarged. (but functioning ). Biopsy came back negative. Dr. said to come back if it was uncomfortable to swallow/breathe. ..so 4 years later it was removed, and when the surgeon came into recovery, he told me it was cancerous. It was tough knowing I'd been walking around with it for years. The plan had been to remove half, send to pathology while I was still on the table, and take the rest if it was cancerous. Reading your story of two surgeries makes me very grateful I only had to go through it once!

After VSG I've had synthroid dose lowered as my weight has gone down. I've always taken it first thing in the morning, then waited an hour to eat.

My endocrinologist is rechecking every four months while I'm losing.

Cherylm321,

I am angry you weren't monitored more closely due to the possibility of Cancer. I am sorry you had to go through that.

I asked my Doc if pathology would look at it while I was on the table to see if the other half needed out if it was Cancer. She told me No cause She wasn't going to have me on the table for 48 hours (time it might take Pathology). 24 hours from my surgery, i found out I had a Benign Adenoma over 3 cm in size.

Edit: I take my 50 mcg of synthroid at night before bed so it is well away from my Nexium I take before breakfast and before dinner and all the Bari vits which i take 2 hts apart from the nexium doses. We'll see how i am absorbing it in may.

Edited by 3K99Mommy

I had to have my levothyroxine dose lowered by about half as I lost weight. Now, I also take liothironine - a T3 replacement. I have to believe my thyroid has always been messed up... I was always so very large. My NP had to have her thyroid removed while she was young due to cancer, I think. She is so very up on treating these issues because of her experiences that I really am glad I found her. She keeps me in a very narrow range for thyroid function, which helps me tremendously.

By the way, since the weight is gone, I am off all other meds. Love that!

All,

I am 4 years out, wow that is weird to say.  I am on the same dose of levoxyl as I was prior to surgery.  I would say that you need to make sure to have a 2 hour window between taking your thyroid meds and your calcium.  The calcium prevents the absorption. 

My mom had thyroid cancer years ago and had her's removed.  I still have mine, but it doesn't work at all.  I actually take more meds than she does.  I really don't think it has had much effect either way on my weightloss.

I'm 8 years out and was just recently diagnosed with under active thyroid.  i'm on thyroid meds now and it's back to normal range.  

I take armour thyroid. After surgery I asked that mine be upped because I feel better at around 1 or less and my numbers went up to 3. My doctor has been monitoring me every three months like usual. I have been on levothyroxine and didn't like how it made me feel.  I was diagnosed in 2007 with hypo. Changed to armour about 3 almost 4 years ago.  I personally keep a copy of the records of my lab results and ask that my doctor monitor it closely. I always wrote down what dosage I was on, on the paperwork so that I would know to.  After a couple of years the doc and I realized that I feel more myself at 1 or less. I do break my dosage in half to it better disolves and absorbs. I take mine right away in the morning and wait 45 minutes to eat.