2wheeljess

What do you do for milk

I am about 8 weeks post op. At first I was able to tolerate a little 1% milk.  Now even a sip has me feeling a little weird and I know if I have more it will hurt.

I have never tried Soy. I am not a huge milk drinker but the occasional urge or I use it to cook with some.

Im still having issue eating and I am back on the nasty shakes to try and help me out.

It's not unusual to become lactose intolerant to some degree or other for a while post-op.  I went through that for a while and can recommend Lactaid Milk.  Most stores carry it - Walmart has their own brand of lactose free milk.

Walmart (Walgreens etc. etc.) stock Lactaid and other lactase enzyme products.

Almond milk tastes good but has little protein.  Soy is better protein wise but IMHO it does not taste good.

I have been using almond milk. I have used soy but I agree with cinwa.

I think Soy tastes way better then Almond; clearly I live in opposite land; but when either one has shake powder thrown into it, it makes no difference in the end.   I used Soy for the first 5 or so months because of the protein in it;  once I was able to regularily get my protein from food alone I switched to Almond milk for the lower calories.

I am lactose intolerant also and have found Lactaid.  I have not problems with using it.

I'm not a milk fan. I hardly ever drink it and when i do its very little of Silk almond vanilla. I do like carnation instant powder milk. I use it at times in my coffee or tea. 

I use almond milk, no the vanilla one, it has to much sugar/

I've been drinking no fat milk for 40 years, not much in the past year though I occasionally have some with high fiber cereal.

There is also an almond milk made by So Delicious, I think is the brand, that has higher protein than most do. It's 5g per cup.

I just discovered the joy of Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla milk  - only 30 calories in an 8oz cup and net 0 carbs!   I wish I had discovered this 8 months ago!!  I use it in my coffee and when I want a protein shake!!

Nutrition Facts

Almond Breeze Almond Milk, Unsweetened Vanilla

Serving Size: 8 oz
Amount Per Serving
  • Calories 30.0
  • Total Fat 2.5 g
  • Saturated Fat 0.0 g
  • Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
  • Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
  • Cholesterol 0.0 mg
  • Sodium 180.0 mg
  • Potassium 170.0 mg
  • Total Carbohydrate 1.0 g
  • Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
  • Sugars 0.0 g
  • Protein  1.0 g
Edited by carolthomas

I use that milk Carol its really delicious!

I had Gastric Bypass in July of 2012 when I have milk I have Diarrhea. I take Dairy pills when I have a bite the dairy pills seem to help. I do crave cheese I like cheese and I do crave ice cream. sometimes these things give me cramping and diarrhea.

Channing