fflintstone

compression shirt sizing

Just got my first sleeveless UA...got a 2x and it doesn't seem any tighter than the 3x I tried. Still, I'm on board with it and gonna go pick up a few more tomorrow! WOOT

UA should feel pretty snug. But not restricting. I have long sleeve, short sleeve and sleeveless and really prefer the sleeveless. By far.

UA should feel pretty snug. But not restricting. I have long sleeve, short sleeve and sleeveless and really prefer the sleeveless. By far.

I normally use short sleeve in the gym and long sleeve for my bike riding . It's great how the long sleeve helps in mantaining a decent body temp , under my jacket even riding above 80's and 90's !!

I just found compression clothing at Dunham's Sporting Goods...brand name AEROLINE and they only cost $15.00 each. $10.00 less than UA...but I found them on sale for $11.00...took 1 UA shirt back and got 3 Aerolines...only paid $11 more...AWESOME

As promised, now that I'm in Onederland, here is a photo of me in UA compression gear. The photo was taken in my home gym. And no that is not underwear, those are compression shorts.

post-3219-0-93317900-1398629001_thumb.jp

I will put before and after photos in my Aviator's Log Book.

Edited by Aviator

Looking Good there Aviator!!!

You can get there too Bro.  If I can do it, anyone can.  You're well on your way.

Hey there everyone, 

Been following this thread since before i had my operation on 3/11.  Picked up some inexpensive starter compression gear from wally world to give it a try.. and have loved the stuff.  

Have two questions, 

1) is the Under Armour stuff much better than the Starter stuff?  I don't mind spending the extra $$ but just want to actually get something that's better in return.

2) How do you judge when to switch down in sizes... I started wearing them around 305 lbs and used a XXL, now I am down to 280 and they still fit snugly but dont cling as tight as they did at first.   I guess a better question would be at what weight stages did you downsize your compression gear?

On an unrelated note... looking good Aviator!  If i were a woman i would be flirting you up... lol!  Well done!!! 
I am trying to get in as much exercise in this process as i can, so far I am up to 5 days a week with a mixture of walking, WiI Fit, Biggest Loser Challenge on the WII, and a recumbent bike.... My muscles have not been so sore since i was in high school playing soccer!!!  But am feeling better every day!

Here is where i have been getting mine.

https://www.goathleticapparel.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=28&Itemid=118&TreeId=1

cheap prices, the shirts seem to be longer, so tucks nicely into pant to help prevent them from riding up like some others I have tried tend to do.

Hi Ace. I haven't tried the "starter" brands so I can't really comment on the comparison between the two. I've tried Nike (whose products I normally love), Adidas, and UnderArmor. The UA brand seems to be more compressive, and I like the material better. The shirts, as mentioned above, are about $25 each,

The pink shirt I have on in the photo is a bit different than the standard UA stuff. The material is completely different, where the weave, or thread count, is much higher, the material is thinner, the compression is greater, and I just really love the way it feels. The Easter Egg colors are interesting too, but I could do without the DC or Marvel Comics logo. It really fits like a second skin. If course, it's even more expensive at $44.

For me, when the shirts started getting baggy under my arms is when I decided to move down a size.

Good stuff guys,  I can't tell all of you how happy i have been with this process so far!

Until now i have gotten rid of diabetes, high blood pressure, and just a hair shy of 50lbs!  I hope to get rid of another 70-80 lbs and ditch the CPAP machine along the way :)

I am going to pick up a few of the UA shirts when i feel I am down to the XL area vs the XXL size i am at now.  I know one thing i am going to get the V-neck version for sure!

Related to that, i found that the standard neck on the Starter brand shirt i bought was very restrictive ( I have always had a big neck, currently nearly 19 inches) It was so bad i decided to experiment with a shirt.  I simply cut a slit through the shirt at the front of the neck (through the collar and about an inch further down)  The materiel they use in these shirts doesn't rip further and has held up exactly as i cut it (without any hemming) for multiple washes and wearings.  So that has been a very cheap fix for a shirt that would possibly have bothered me enough to not wear it.

Is it allowed here to link to an outside blog?  I have been blogging this process for myself on wordpress.  Happy to share it with everyone (No ad's on it or any other b.s. "just my somewhat convoluted thoughts") 

P.S.  Aviator... don't shortchange yourself on the logo on your shirt... It fits.. :)

Edited by AceArcher

I know this is in the men's section.... I just bought Russell compression pants and shirt at Walmart in the men's section (women's plus size compression clothing isn't cheap). They are awesome $13 for a shirt and $20 for pants. Very comfortable and soft I figured they would be scratchy or stiff but so far so good.

Edited by Mrs.Donovan

. .......

P.S.  Aviator... don't shortchange yourself on the logo on your shirt... It fits.. :)

Thanks Bro. I do feel pretty Super right now.

FWIW I now wear a quality 2xt t shirt and the are not loose or not snug but close to "snug"

I first bought a Walmart (starter) 3xl compression shirt. it is very tight getting on but comfortable on. I purchased 3 Eastbay brand 3x compression T-shirts on line. they were cheaper $32 for 3. they are easier to put on and offer a little less compression, but IMO very comfortable. I picked up another 3x starter brand shirt at a resale shop. if you find a compression shirt to be too tight, or you are like me and poor, you may want to try EASTBAY.

http://www.eastbay.com/

Fred, you're rich in all the ways that really matter, Bro. Thanks for the link.

I see their prices are right in line with Sports Authority and Academy - local retail outlets here. I remember you telling us that the neck was too tight on the Starter brand compression tees. Is that still true?

Most of my compression shirts are size L now, but I did buy two Ms - which fit but are tighter. The next ones I buy will be that size.

Fred, you're rich in all the ways that really matter, Bro. Thanks for the link.

I see their prices are right in line with Sports Authority and Academy - local retail outlets here. I remember you telling us that the neck was too tight on the Starter brand compression tees. Is that still true?

yes the neck is too tight but it seems a little less than the first one.

i found that not all compression shirts are made equal!  i try them on now before i commit.  a 2x is very snug in a t-shirt so thats the size of compression shirt that i buy if its under armour.  if its starter or russell (walmart brands) then those sizes change DRASTICALLY.  So.. now i always try them on first.