fflintstone

compression shirt sizing

56 posts in this topic

Aviator...I agree totally! As of this past Sat, I now belong to 2 gyms. One for me to hit before work, early and the other for time with my wife and kids. As I said in my intro...I think I said it any how...I used to be a certified trainer. Now that I've been cleared to lift, I'm having to blow the dust off of some old workout rules and get back to it. I have to make this surgery work for me! Thanks a bunch for the advice.

Aviator likes this

I broke down and bought a 3x compression shirt. I wore it under my t-shirt for the 100 lb. gone photo. I still cant wear it all the time though, the neck opening is too small! maybe it will work better in about -10 loss.

IWANT2GETSKINNY and Aviator like this

I broke down and bought a 3x compression shirt. I wore it under my t-shirt for the 100 lb. gone photo. I still cant wear it all the time though, the neck opening is too small! maybe it will work better in about -10 loss.

Hang in there fflintstone,  I am using a couple of them and it is hard to get used to for sure,  Being a large guy most of my life I have hated tight clothing.  all types of clothing, besides large sizes tend to hide a multitude of fat.  now that I have lost 36 pounds I do feel a bit better in the compression shirt. 

Aviator likes this

Fred - you might try the v-neck version.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Tactical-HeatGear®-Compression/dp/B004J2S386/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396972096&sr=8-1&keywords=compression+shirt+v+neck

After about a week of wearing them, I absolutely feel undressed without wearing one under my shirts.

I know you are not where temps are conducive to sweating yet, but these things keep you cooler than going without a shirt.  Pro athletes everywhere are wearing them to keep cool when they are sweating.  Its actually amazing to feel the cooling effect.

I will post a photo soon here.

Edited by Aviator
IWANT2GETSKINNY likes this

sweating? hell I am still buying propane. but I have to tell you 40 feels like heaven compared  to -23!

Aviator and IWANT2GETSKINNY like this

Its gonna be 80 degF here over the weekend.  Im working on my tan!

Shipwreck, even tho you may be a certified personal trainer, its still good to have one to get you started again.  I believe in personal training and ill be seeing my trainer at my 6:30pm workout today.

Today starts a new regime in my training program now that the Challenge is over. 

I'm focusing, for the next 3 months, on building strength and muscle mass..... and getting to Onderland!  Reaching that milestone mean only 10 lbs to my personal goal weight, and it will be 21 lbs below my surgeon's goal weight for me.

Aviatior...I'd love to have a trainer but they're not cheap. One of these days...one of these days, *sigh*

Shipwreck55, one of the things that I am looking at is to find someone in the support group that I can work out with. at least it would be someone to help push me and me them as well. Or maybe talk w/the gym and see if any of the guys take on clients at a reasonable rate anyway.

I'm like you though........ some day :)

Aviator and Shipwreck55 like this

I had my gastric bypass two years ago, this month. I have now lost 185 pounds. I started wearing compression shirts about a year ago and now, I feel strange if I DON'T wear one. The way I have always sized them is to use a size smaller than the current shirt size I am wearing. I wear a medioum sized compression shirt. Large shirts are almost too big for me now and I actually wear some medium shirts. I just wish they made the arms about 2-3 inches longer. One tip--don't wear a tight compression shirt and let it get wet while wearing it. It is almost impossible to remove from your body if it is wet. I got caught in the rain one time and had to get my wife to help me take it off--but it was fun afterwards.

Lol, that's hilarious!

I just realized thst I miss spoke...I'm not quite 3 mos post-op...I had said earlier that I was 4 mos. oops

I had my gastric bypass two years ago, this month. I have now lost 185 pounds. I started wearing compression shirts about a year ago and now, I feel strange if I DON'T wear one. The way I have always sized them is to use a size smaller than the current shirt size I am wearing. I wear a medioum sized compression shirt. Large shirts are almost too big for me now and I actually wear some medium shirts. I just wish they made the arms about 2-3 inches longer. One tip--don't wear a tight compression shirt and let it get wet while wearing it. It is almost impossible to remove from your body if it is wet. I got caught in the rain one time and had to get my wife to help me take it off--but it was fun afterwards.

I like the sleeveless variety.  You didn't mention the brand you use.  UA are very tight in the same L size for me.  I admit, Nike, I would need the size smaller.  I may try the M size just for giggles since you mentioned it.

Regarding getting wet, I work out in mine so they "get wet" with sweat virtually everyday.  Yes they are more difficult to get off, but the sleeveless are easier anyway - and they show off my new "guns".  Thank you Gold's Gym.

Just got my first sleeveless UA...got a 2x and it doesn't seem any tighter than the 3x I tried. Still, I'm on board with it and gonna go pick up a few more tomorrow! WOOT

Aviator likes this

UA should feel pretty snug. But not restricting. I have long sleeve, short sleeve and sleeveless and really prefer the sleeveless. By far.

UA should feel pretty snug. But not restricting. I have long sleeve, short sleeve and sleeveless and really prefer the sleeveless. By far.

I normally use short sleeve in the gym and long sleeve for my bike riding . It's great how the long sleeve helps in mantaining a decent body temp , under my jacket even riding above 80's and 90's !!

Aviator likes this

I just found compression clothing at Dunham's Sporting Goods...brand name AEROLINE and they only cost $15.00 each. $10.00 less than UA...but I found them on sale for $11.00...took 1 UA shirt back and got 3 Aerolines...only paid $11 more...AWESOME

Aviator and fflintstone like this

As promised, now that I'm in Onederland, here is a photo of me in UA compression gear. The photo was taken in my home gym. And no that is not underwear, those are compression shorts.

post-3219-0-93317900-1398629001_thumb.jp

I will put before and after photos in my Aviator's Log Book.

Edited by Aviator

As promised, now that I'm in Onederland, here is a photo of me in UA compression gear. The photo was taken in my home gym. And no that is not underwear, those are compression shorts.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I will put before and after photos in my Aviator's Log Book.

Looking Good there Aviator!!!

Aviator likes this

Looking Good there Aviator!!!

You can get there too Bro.  If I can do it, anyone can.  You're well on your way.

Hey there everyone, 

Been following this thread since before i had my operation on 3/11.  Picked up some inexpensive starter compression gear from wally world to give it a try.. and have loved the stuff.  

Have two questions, 

1) is the Under Armour stuff much better than the Starter stuff?  I don't mind spending the extra $$ but just want to actually get something that's better in return.

2) How do you judge when to switch down in sizes... I started wearing them around 305 lbs and used a XXL, now I am down to 280 and they still fit snugly but dont cling as tight as they did at first.   I guess a better question would be at what weight stages did you downsize your compression gear?

On an unrelated note... looking good Aviator!  If i were a woman i would be flirting you up... lol!  Well done!!! 
I am trying to get in as much exercise in this process as i can, so far I am up to 5 days a week with a mixture of walking, WiI Fit, Biggest Loser Challenge on the WII, and a recumbent bike.... My muscles have not been so sore since i was in high school playing soccer!!!  But am feeling better every day!

Aviator likes this

Fred, my preference - Under Armor compression shirts. And I gotta tell ya, I'm not having much in the way of jiggly bits now. :P

I wear them because they make me feel great, make my clothes fit great, and it is cooler than going bare chested. Also, keeping muscles in compression after working out reduces soreness.

Here is a link. You can order this online.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/compression#products

My preference is HeatGear sonic compression sleeveless. I have every color but find I reach for black and grey most often. I do like to wear the red under a black over shirt, and the white is pretty much universal.

There are three fits in every size UA shirt nowadays: loose, fitted and compression. If 3X fits you in a tee, the 3X compression shirt is probably what you need. It just fits a lot tighter. I think it is true for Nike and Adidas too.

I wear them under both my street clothes and my exercise outfits. The material is so silky smooth and when you sweat, it's like the a/c came on as it makes perspiration flash dry.

Good luck bro.

Hey there everyone, 

Been following this thread since before i had my operation on 3/11.  Picked up some inexpensive starter compression gear from wally world to give it a try.. and have loved the stuff.  

Have two questions, 

1) is the Under Armour stuff much better than the Starter stuff?  I don't mind spending the extra $$ but just want to actually get something that's better in return.

2) How do you judge when to switch down in sizes... I started wearing them around 305 lbs and used a XXL, now I am down to 280 and they still fit snugly but dont cling as tight as they did at first.   I guess a better question would be at what weight stages did you downsize your compression gear?

On an unrelated note... looking good Aviator!  If i were a woman i would be flirting you up... lol!  Well done!!! 

I am trying to get in as much exercise in this process as i can, so far I am up to 5 days a week with a mixture of walking, WiI Fit, Biggest Loser Challenge on the WII, and a recumbent bike.... My muscles have not been so sore since i was in high school playing soccer!!!  But am feeling better every day!

Hey Ace,  I have what Aviator suggested in the quote above.  hope that help you.  I got the Starter shirt to start w/but I feel like I am moving to the UA shortly I just like the look the Starter does bunch up in the underarm sometimes. 

Here is where i have been getting mine.

https://www.goathleticapparel.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=28&Itemid=118&TreeId=1

cheap prices, the shirts seem to be longer, so tucks nicely into pant to help prevent them from riding up like some others I have tried tend to do.

Hi Ace. I haven't tried the "starter" brands so I can't really comment on the comparison between the two. I've tried Nike (whose products I normally love), Adidas, and UnderArmor. The UA brand seems to be more compressive, and I like the material better. The shirts, as mentioned above, are about $25 each,

The pink shirt I have on in the photo is a bit different than the standard UA stuff. The material is completely different, where the weave, or thread count, is much higher, the material is thinner, the compression is greater, and I just really love the way it feels. The Easter Egg colors are interesting too, but I could do without the DC or Marvel Comics logo. It really fits like a second skin. If course, it's even more expensive at $44.

For me, when the shirts started getting baggy under my arms is when I decided to move down a size.

AceArcher likes this

Good stuff guys,  I can't tell all of you how happy i have been with this process so far!

Until now i have gotten rid of diabetes, high blood pressure, and just a hair shy of 50lbs!  I hope to get rid of another 70-80 lbs and ditch the CPAP machine along the way :)

I am going to pick up a few of the UA shirts when i feel I am down to the XL area vs the XXL size i am at now.  I know one thing i am going to get the V-neck version for sure!

Related to that, i found that the standard neck on the Starter brand shirt i bought was very restrictive ( I have always had a big neck, currently nearly 19 inches) It was so bad i decided to experiment with a shirt.  I simply cut a slit through the shirt at the front of the neck (through the collar and about an inch further down)  The materiel they use in these shirts doesn't rip further and has held up exactly as i cut it (without any hemming) for multiple washes and wearings.  So that has been a very cheap fix for a shirt that would possibly have bothered me enough to not wear it.

Is it allowed here to link to an outside blog?  I have been blogging this process for myself on wordpress.  Happy to share it with everyone (No ad's on it or any other b.s. "just my somewhat convoluted thoughts") 

P.S.  Aviator... don't shortchange yourself on the logo on your shirt... It fits.. :)

Edited by AceArcher
Aviator likes this

I know this is in the men's section.... I just bought Russell compression pants and shirt at Walmart in the men's section (women's plus size compression clothing isn't cheap). They are awesome $13 for a shirt and $20 for pants. Very comfortable and soft I figured they would be scratchy or stiff but so far so good.

Edited by Mrs.Donovan
AceArcher and Aviator like this