fflintstone

compression shirt sizing

41 posts in this topic

I know some of you use compression shirts to keep your jiggley bits firmer. I have loose skin/ jiggley bits all over my torso and was thinking a compression shirt may make me at least “feel thinner”.

I am currently wearing all my old shirts. The 5x tall Tees from the fat and ugly store are fairly baggy. The 3Xtall Carhartt Henley’s are comfy/loose.

I bought a Haynes polypropylene thermal shirt in 2x and it is “snug” do I want a 2x in a “compression” shirt?

Aviator and xxxxxxx like this

Do they sell any at Walmart for men?  They do for woman (genie bras and the genie compression camisoles and a whole lot of other things) but I ask cause you can at least go try stuff on there to see what will fit.  Maybe that is an option.

uglydude and fflintstone like this

Do they sell any at Walmart for men?  They do for woman (genie bras and the genie compression camisoles and a whole lot of other things) but I ask cause you can at least go try stuff on there to see what will fit.  Maybe that is an option.

according to walmart.com they sell Haynes moisture wicking t shirts, I don't know if that is considered a compression shirt or not. they are much cheaper and worth a try. amazon wants $25 for under armour brand where the 2x Haynes is only $11.

I really want to hold the stuff in place though and want compression.

I am really liking the possibility that one day I can buy normal clothes, and good quality clothes, I hate shopping at the fat and ugly store.

I went to walmart and they had both long and short sleeve compression shirts. they had them up to 3x. In the brand they had I needed a 3x. honestly I don't think wearing one under my shirts will help any unless I buy lighter weight smaller shirts.

Nope, not using the product.  I travel alot and was flipping through the SkyMall catalog when I was on the plane...thought it was interesting...

Expensive though.

Fred, my preference - Under Armor compression shirts. And I gotta tell ya, I'm not having much in the way of jiggly bits now. :P

I wear them because they make me feel great, make my clothes fit great, and it is cooler than going bare chested. Also, keeping muscles in compression after working out reduces soreness.

Here is a link. You can order this online.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/compression#products

My preference is HeatGear sonic compression sleeveless. I have every color but find I reach for black and grey most often. I do like to wear the red under a black over shirt, and the white is pretty much universal.

There are three fits in every size UA shirt nowadays: loose, fitted and compression. If 3X fits you in a tee, the 3X compression shirt is probably what you need. It just fits a lot tighter. I think it is true for Nike and Adidas too.

I wear them under both my street clothes and my exercise outfits. The material is so silky smooth and when you sweat, it's like the a/c came on as it makes perspiration flash dry.

Good luck bro.

Edited by Aviator

A small warning from my experience: When I work out, I wear the sleeveless compression shirt as well. It really helps keep me cool when I'm sweating.  Since I lift fairly heavy weights now, I wear workout gloves that have a velcro closure to prevent blisters.

What I found is the that the velcro "picks" and ruins the material of the compression shirt.  So I wear an UnderArmor sleeveless top shirt in cotton - same size but a "loose" fit.  The compression and loose fits are actually made to be worn together.  

Good luck.  I love 'em.    

My theory is that if you wear it as you lose weight, it may help with loose skin since the compression gear counteracts the effects of gravity trying to pulling it all downward.  It seems to be working for me anyway.

Edited by Aviator
rxmom2007, tmcgee and dorie like this

Yes if you're wearing a XX in a regular tee, you should get a XX compression shirt too. They are cut intentionally smaller and made from super stretchy spandex. Putting it on the first time you think... #%$? Then you get it on and it feels better. After you adapt to wearing them you feel odd without it on.

fflintstone likes this

Cool,  I just have to get over "tight" type clothing, being big all of my adult life I would use clothing to "hide" my bigness!! but I will work at it

Same for me bro. Once you have surgery and start to lose the weight, you'll get a better appreciation of this gear. It does take a little adaptation, but after a while it feels like a second skin. Only cooler.

Glad to help. Yes I wear Under Armor boxer briefs normally the long ones, but the shorter ones come in interesting colors that I like too.

I pretty much wear this gear all the time now.

So today I received two white UA compression shirts in size L because the XLs were just getting too big. And they fit.

I ordered 2 of every color and 3 black ones.

Skinny, I'm stoked too. Right now, I'm just a whisker from Onderland and really happy about that.

Now the chore of cleaning the XLs out my closet.... Crimeny! I now have no shirts that fit. Well, two UA compression shirts.

Lennie and Boz like this

You are doing unbelievably well. 38 lbs on your pre-op diet is amazing. I would definitely keep up wearing the compression gear to help with sagging skin.

I'm new here and am 4 months post-op. I have been talking to my wife about using UA to help with skin issues...awesome info here! Now if I can just get past these aggrivating plateaus!

Aviator and fflintstone like this

Plateaus or "stalls" as we call them here on TT always happen. The best way to avoid it is to exercise, and not just mindless ling slow distance. I mean progressive weight training plus cardio.

As you live in calorie deficit, yes your metabolism burns fat, but it can also consume the protein in your muscles too. That why, after 8-12 weeks post op (or when cleared to do so) you should begin some weight training and consume 80gms of protein per day.

Aviator...I agree totally! As of this past Sat, I now belong to 2 gyms. One for me to hit before work, early and the other for time with my wife and kids. As I said in my intro...I think I said it any how...I used to be a certified trainer. Now that I've been cleared to lift, I'm having to blow the dust off of some old workout rules and get back to it. I have to make this surgery work for me! Thanks a bunch for the advice.

Aviator likes this

I broke down and bought a 3x compression shirt. I wore it under my t-shirt for the 100 lb. gone photo. I still cant wear it all the time though, the neck opening is too small! maybe it will work better in about -10 loss.

Aviator likes this

Fred - you might try the v-neck version.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Tactical-HeatGear®-Compression/dp/B004J2S386/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396972096&sr=8-1&keywords=compression+shirt+v+neck

After about a week of wearing them, I absolutely feel undressed without wearing one under my shirts.

I know you are not where temps are conducive to sweating yet, but these things keep you cooler than going without a shirt.  Pro athletes everywhere are wearing them to keep cool when they are sweating.  Its actually amazing to feel the cooling effect.

I will post a photo soon here.

Edited by Aviator

sweating? hell I am still buying propane. but I have to tell you 40 feels like heaven compared  to -23!

Aviator likes this

Its gonna be 80 degF here over the weekend.  Im working on my tan!

Shipwreck, even tho you may be a certified personal trainer, its still good to have one to get you started again.  I believe in personal training and ill be seeing my trainer at my 6:30pm workout today.

Today starts a new regime in my training program now that the Challenge is over. 

I'm focusing, for the next 3 months, on building strength and muscle mass..... and getting to Onderland!  Reaching that milestone mean only 10 lbs to my personal goal weight, and it will be 21 lbs below my surgeon's goal weight for me.

Aviatior...I'd love to have a trainer but they're not cheap. One of these days...one of these days, *sigh*

Aviator likes this

I had my gastric bypass two years ago, this month. I have now lost 185 pounds. I started wearing compression shirts about a year ago and now, I feel strange if I DON'T wear one. The way I have always sized them is to use a size smaller than the current shirt size I am wearing. I wear a medioum sized compression shirt. Large shirts are almost too big for me now and I actually wear some medium shirts. I just wish they made the arms about 2-3 inches longer. One tip--don't wear a tight compression shirt and let it get wet while wearing it. It is almost impossible to remove from your body if it is wet. I got caught in the rain one time and had to get my wife to help me take it off--but it was fun afterwards.

Aviator likes this

Lol, that's hilarious!

I just realized thst I miss spoke...I'm not quite 3 mos post-op...I had said earlier that I was 4 mos. oops

I had my gastric bypass two years ago, this month. I have now lost 185 pounds. I started wearing compression shirts about a year ago and now, I feel strange if I DON'T wear one. The way I have always sized them is to use a size smaller than the current shirt size I am wearing. I wear a medioum sized compression shirt. Large shirts are almost too big for me now and I actually wear some medium shirts. I just wish they made the arms about 2-3 inches longer. One tip--don't wear a tight compression shirt and let it get wet while wearing it. It is almost impossible to remove from your body if it is wet. I got caught in the rain one time and had to get my wife to help me take it off--but it was fun afterwards.

I like the sleeveless variety.  You didn't mention the brand you use.  UA are very tight in the same L size for me.  I admit, Nike, I would need the size smaller.  I may try the M size just for giggles since you mentioned it.

Regarding getting wet, I work out in mine so they "get wet" with sweat virtually everyday.  Yes they are more difficult to get off, but the sleeveless are easier anyway - and they show off my new "guns".  Thank you Gold's Gym.