tmcgee

I have not been honest with you

I've been drinking for 4 months and having trouble stopping. Wine. I know better but having trouble with control. Group therapy is not an option, I don't do well with it. I know I could lose the last 30 pounds if I stopped cold turkey, and I have stopped that way Iin the past,.

I know it's addiction transfer and never expected to be confronted with it.

What have YOU done?

Tom, no wise words if wisdom here, but I'm rooting for you. You know it's an issue, and you know how to right it.

Tom, I am rooting for you and I know you can beat this addiction. Prayers.

Addictions are so hard to get rid of. Have you thought about an addiction counselor? I have addiction transfer a lot and it ended up being food when I quit smoking and drinking, hence where I am today. I'm worried about hitting the bottle after surgery once I have gotten the food addiction silenced. Being an addict is very difficult, so I feel your pain and struggle.

I'm glad you have come forward and was honest with others and yourself: that's the hardest thing to do and it helps you be accountable, too. My thoughts are with you and please remember: one day at a time. *hugs*

Hugs, Tom. You can do it. Jen

You know it's an issue, and you know how to right it.

I'm having trouble with that, Greer. Never expected it since I stopped drinking completely almost 20 years ago.

Addiction transfer is a very real thing. I hate this!

Transfer the negative addiction into your motorcycle passion, Tom.

I'm having trouble with that, Greer. Never expected it since I stopped drinking completely almost 20 years ago.

Addiction transfer is a very real thing. I hate this!

You CAN do it. No, it won't be easy, but look how far you have come. Do it for you, your health, and those beautiful grand kids.

Always here to talk if you need an ear! Have you discussed with family?

Were you an alcoholic when you quit 20 years ago or did you just decide not to drink? I know quite a few people that quit drinking that didn't have a problem with it. If you are an alcoholic it is harder. You need to start by getting it out of the house. You just can't have access to it. Then you need to fight this battle one day at a time. Jen

Were you an alcoholic when you quit 20 years ago or did you just decide not to drink? I know quite a few people that quit drinking that didn't have a problem with it. If you are an alcoholic it is harder. You need to start by getting it out of the house. You just can't have access to it. Then you need to fight this battle one day at a time. Jen

No. I just stopped. It was more a habit than anything, but there is alcoholism in the family. I never thought I was alcoholic though -- now I'm not so sure.

You are strong and now that you are facing it, you can deal with it. Good luck and keep strong!

Transfer the negative addiction into your motorcycle passion, Tom.

Yeah, you got this. 50 degrees again today and the bike is still under cover in a snowbank. They call it PMS -- parked motorcycle syndrome. That whole Zen thing about riding is very real and very healing.

Tom, so glad you shared. Shame can only live in the darkness. You have already taken the first step in admitting it is a problem.

Only you know if you are an alcoholic. You might want to sit in at an open AA meeting and see if you can relate. There are many

roads, but one journey to freedom from our addictive behavior. I have tried to go around, but alas I have had to go through the

muck of why I do things that I know are not in my best interest. You might want to consider talking to an addiction counselor.

Wishing you peace.

I know, I seem to be drinking something everyday. I have already gained 15 lbs. and I still have 50 to go. I am just so mad at my self for this self sabotage. I also really cant figure out what to eat now to lose weight anymore. I feel like a giant failure111

I will figure it out, wanted to share because I know I'm not the only one.

I've been drinking for 4 months and having trouble stopping. Wine. I know better but having trouble with control. Group therapy is not an option, I don't do well with it. I know I could lose the last 30 pounds if I stopped cold turkey, and I have stopped that way Iin the past,.

I know it's addiction transfer and never expected to be confronted with it.

What have YOU done?

i don't mean to bag on other peoples' posts, but if you really think you are heading into alcoholism, you need more help than pulling up your boot straps. i really dislike group environments as well, but i did AA for two years and that was enough.i think its too dogmatic and people become gossips.

i also did outpatient addiction treatment which is in many cases, more private and geared toward only a few individuals at once. still, you would need to look into the programs first. i went 2 weeknights a week for say... 6 weeks? it was very helpful, without the big group dynamics. these are both good options but i imagine outpatient might serve you well.

ok, so, doing it on your own. like you, i stopped completely for about 3 years and never thought twice about it. it wasn't til later, when major life events occured (like WLS) that i had problems

i guess i would encourage you to seek SOME sort of outside help. you aren't weak, you have a legit problem and if it really is turning to alcoholism, chances are it won't get better by itself. 

i write this all with a loving eye, having been there. i feel for you and hope you can get this under control before its too late. we all know the warnings - WLS patients have a much higher rate of developing alcoholism than your average joe.

posting here was courageous. i'm guessing it might be the first time you have discussed it. Keep us updated!!!

Thanks, angel. You're exactly right, I've never talked about it before. I'm a trained problem solver and will figure it out, there are people I can talk to about it, and I will, friends, and probably my program's psychologist. He knows I was expecting problems when getting near goal from our very first meeting a year ago, I just never expected it would be alcohol.

I never heard of addiction transfer before signing up here 6 months ago and I appreciate the support from all of you! There's a common bond here.

Tom, you will get this figured out.  I am so glad that you shared this because there are a lot of us out there, including myself, that are heading down that road or will be soon.  I just now have caught myself heading down the road of another addiction and am now just starting to head back in the right direction.  Lots and lots of counseling and med changes and I will get back to where I need to be and boy, it's HARD!  I think it's harder than the WLS journey itself.  I got that all figured out and know what to do, but I became completely helpless when that old food addiction transferred to something else and it came out of no where...nothing specific triggered it, unless it was all the bad weather we have had since December.

Take care my friend!  We are all here with you...

One year ago, I told the program psychologist I was going to have emotional and food problems when getting close to goal, never imagining it would alcohol. I talked with a friend and riding buddy today who shares a lot of history related to alcohol, although he's never had WLS -- but he gets it. It was very helpful.

I have had a rough couple of weeks with my 50 year friend dying and a sweet lady I know going suddenly and completely deaf a week ago. This kind of snuck up on me. I do get stuck sometimes when there is too much to process -- even though I'm usually very good at multiplexing.

Thank you all, the support means a lot!

Tom, you will get this figured out.  I am so glad that you shared this because there are a lot of us out there, including myself, that are heading down that road or will be soon.  I just now have caught myself heading down the road of another addiction and am now just starting to head back in the right direction.  Lots and lots of counseling and med changes and I will get back to where I need to be and boy, it's HARD!  I think it's harder than the WLS journey itself.  I got that all figured out and know what to do, but I became completely helpless when that old food addiction transferred to something else and it came out of no where...nothing specific triggered it, unless it was all the bad weather we have had since December.

Take care my friend!  We are all here with you...

How did I miss this post?  Gosh, Tom, I'm sorry to hear this...  I know you're strong, but I also know you've dealt with an awful lot lately and it's gotta be hard.  Losing a dear friend is hard enough without having to deal with a new WLS issue.  I know without a doubt that you'll lick this.  It may take some trial and error, but you'll get there.  I'm always here for you if you need to talk.  You have my email address and if you want my number, I'll give you that, too.

Hugs,

cc

How did I miss this post?  Gosh, Tom, I'm sorry to hear this...  I know you're strong, but I also know you've dealt with an awful lot lately and it's gotta be hard.  Losing a dear friend is hard enough without having to deal with a new WLS issue.  I know without a doubt that you'll lick this.  It may take some trial and error, but you'll get there.  I'm always here for you if you need to talk.  You have my email address and if you want my number, I'll give you that, too.

Hugs,

cc

I'll get through it, was just not expecting it. The support I get here is extraordinary!

I hope the southern get-together happens, I want to be there.

I have no words of inspiration Tom - but know that I'm thinking of you.

I have no words of inspiration Tom - but know that I'm thinking of you.

Thank you, I've always been a survivor.

I'll get through it, was just not expecting it. The support I get here is extraordinary!

I hope the southern get-together happens, I want to be there.

I hope it does, too!  Hoping for a nice warm April or May day.