angeldevil

valium withdrawal & sugar/food

i've been thinking about posting this for days, and not wanting to be a brat - but craving to share how bad this has been

anyone else ever addicted to a benzo? I sure didn't THINK i was! My doctor and i decided it was a good time to come off of valium. i suffer from somewhat extreme anxiety issues, and i was put on valium roughly 3 years ago. I've been doing better in general so it seemed like a good time.

i was taking 20 mg a day, and never dreamed i was one of those people that would suffer extreme symptoms from benzo withdrawal. I laughed it off to be honest: not me!

We just cut it down to 10 mg right off the bat and the physical addiction withdrawal is NUTS!!!! I've been going out of my mind with crazy problems. Intense cold sweats, horrible allover shaking, heart pounding, a bizarre feeling like my forehead is scrunching up and my eyeballs are bugging out of my head! sheer insanity. The physical symptoms are INTENSE.

this doesn't really change my appetite, but it does motivate my psychologically to eat more. food = comfort, right?

there are many threads dealing with emotional issues connected to the volume of food we eat, but this is the first time i've dealt with this issue b/c of forces WAY beyond my control. 

i suppose my question would be... has anyone else suffered from this kind of withdrawal? did it spur you to eat b/c you didn't know how to handle feeling so badly? Were you able to stop? How long was your withdrawal and did you feel better afterwards? Many websites say that it can actually take months to recover from withdrawal symptoms. UGH.

i know this is mostly addiction related, but its affecting my relationship with food. :(

any words of advice would be greatly appreciated

<3, me

Edited by angeldevil

I'm scared I may have the same problems.  I have been having shivers (tremors) for about 2 months now.  I thought it was just one of my meds and was going to stop if my psych said it was ok.  Well, she thinks it is a combo of meds; my body is now absorbing it differently.  We are going to make some changes.  I have had the same med combo for almost 2 years.  I'm bipolar and scared I may have some issues.  

I plan to stay in close contact with my psych and try my best to stay away from foods I shouldn't eat.  I have realized that I am not good at a "little" of something.  I have to stay away.  I hope you are successful!

I had a hard time getting off Xanax 25+ years ago. Started taking it when my father died, took a long time to stop. They weaned me off over the course of a few months by switching me to klonopin, and tapering the dose. Klonopin has a much longer half life.

It never affected what I ate.

Edited by tmcgee

I titrated off Zoloft last spring. I think I was still close enough to my surgery date that I did not think of food for comfort. I could not have eaten more even if I had wanted to. But I was crazy emotional--crying over commercials, etc. Good luck with this--it is not an easy  thing you do.

I have menieres disease. It is a disorder of the inner ear which causes severe vertigo attacks, vomiting, hearing loss and constant ringing

in the ear. So I went to the E.R. and the doctor said he was going to give me valium. I didn't understand as I was not anxious, but sick.

Anyway he said that the valium effects the nerve endings and this would help with the vertigo. I got it IV as I could not keep anything down.

It did help along with steroids and anti nausea medication. That was 17 years ago. I take it as a PRN now. I have taken up to 40 mg a day

and have not had any withdrawal when not taking it. I might mention I have a very high tolerance for medications. I think if you are

experiencing such severe withdrawal you might need to be titrated more slowly. Call your psychiatrist right away. Withdrawal is a serous issueand you need to be closely watched. It is understandable coming off of anti anxiety medication that you might turn to food for comfort.

Sending you healing vibes. Call the doc.

tx guys, and tx kim

kim - your story is not odd to me b/c i once suffered from severe vertigo and they gave me valium too! i was like... huh?

i agree the titration is too fast. i'm still having some pretty severe symptoms

good news is i see a new healthcare provider on thursday. i might have to put my foot down for now, and accept i may not be ready.

this event has really put me in a tailspin!!

i've been thinking about posting this for days, and not wanting to be a brat - but craving to share how bad this has been

anyone else ever addicted to a benzo? I sure didn't THINK i was! My doctor and i decided it was a good time to come off of valium. i suffer from somewhat extreme anxiety issues, and i was put on valium roughly 3 years ago. I've been doing better in general so it seemed like a good time.

i was taking 20 mg a day, and never dreamed i was one of those people that would suffer extreme symptoms from benzo withdrawal. I laughed it off to be honest: not me!

We just cut it down to 10 mg right off the bat and the physical addiction withdrawal is NUTS!!!! I've been going out of my mind with crazy problems. Intense cold sweats, horrible allover shaking, heart pounding, a bizarre feeling like my forehead is scrunching up and my eyeballs are bugging out of my head! sheer insanity. The physical symptoms are INTENSE.

this doesn't really change my appetite, but it does motivate my psychologically to eat more. food = comfort, right?

there are many threads dealing with emotional issues connected to the volume of food we eat, but this is the first time i've dealt with this issue b/c of forces WAY beyond my control. 

i suppose my question would be... has anyone else suffered from this kind of withdrawal? did it spur you to eat b/c you didn't know how to handle feeling so badly? Were you able to stop? How long was your withdrawal and did you feel better afterwards? Many websites say that it can actually take months to recover from withdrawal symptoms. UGH.

i know this is mostly addiction related, but its affecting my relationship with food. :(

any words of advice would be greatly appreciated

<3, me

I had the same symptoms when I stopped taking xanex after my son died.   My physician increased my antidepressant, and the symptoms subsided.   If you don't take an antidepressant now, perhaps one with some anti-anxiety properties might help.   I can't relate to the post surgical challenges, but I do know I started eating more, and that was the start of a 90 lb weight gain for me.   However, a lot of mine was due to pure apathy...That was a time in my life where I was so depressed and felt so bad inside that I didn't care anything about my outward appearance.   With you having been through the surgery and trained yourself to be conscious of what you put in your body, I think you should be ok with some increased awareness.    I hope your symptoms subside soon....mine only lasted about 2-3 weeks, but that was with the additional antidepressant.   You'll be in my prayers as you fight this!

Edit to add that I do take Klonopin now...only as needed and supposedly it's not as addictive. 

Edited by princessblog

Edit to add that I do take Klonopin now...only as needed and supposedly it's not as addictive. 

I get a 20 day supply every month, 2 pills per day. The advantage to klonopin is that it takes a long time to wear off compared to xanax (and maybe others). With xanax, it always felt like the hand of God when I took it and then felt like holy hell when it suddenly wore off, a real roller coaster. I don't actually feel the klonopin at all. I mostly use it to shut my brain up and help me get back to sleep, and sometimes for daytime anxiety before it spins into panic.

I forget the exact times, but the xanax half-life is about 12 hours and klonopin is something like 48 hours.

"With xanax, it always felt like the hand of God when I took it and then felt like holy hell when it suddenly wore off, a real roller coaster."

That's a perfect analogy.

sounds about right princess ^^

the good news/bad news is i am back on my normal dosage and the horrifying side effects have gone away

good - i am far more comfortable in my own skin

bad - i am now acutely aware that valium is far more addictive than i ever realized. i never once felt psychologically addicted, but i know realize i am VERY physically addicted

this drug has helped me with pervasive anxiety, but i now view it as dangerous and scary. but am not willing to go through withdrawal

well i guess its no different than doing things like having WLS! you just gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run! :)

My 2 cents--addiction to a drug is bad when it interferes with your life. Addiction to valium the

sounds about right princess ^^

the good news/bad news is i am back on my normal dosage and the horrifying side effects have gone away

good - i am far more comfortable in my own skin

bad - i am now acutely aware that valium is far more addictive than i ever realized. i never once felt psychologically addicted, but i know realize i am VERY physically addicted

this drug has helped me with pervasive anxiety, but i now view it as dangerous and scary. but am not willing to go through withdrawal

well i guess its no different than doing things like having WLS! you just gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run! :)

My 2 cents FWIW--addiction to anything is bad when it interferes with your life. Physical addiction to valium is not a bad thing if it makes you more comfortable in your own skin, helps with pervasive anxiety. It's a trade off, I guess, but what is the downside to taking a drug that helps you live your life more completely? 

tx molly, i thought i was going to get a reprimand >< lol

at this point, i agree. its been a very helpful drug. i take it exactly as prescribed, never ever abuse it, and it addresses at least part of my mental health issues. sigh, life goes on i guess. but i'm no longer sneaking a bit of chocolate b/c i think it will somehow help me feel better during withdrawal (it doesn't. haha!)

Angel, I agree with Molly....as long as you are functioning and it's not interfering with your life and health, you are probably just fine.   People tend to worry a lot about psychotrophics, but in reality they allow us to function at our optimal levels. 

I hope you get it all figured out so you're the best person you can be.