Dees

VSG Newbies - Read This!

41 posts in this topic

Great info!!

Let's make a list!  Good things to know and remember as you start this process.  I'd love to get a comprehensive list going of some common fears and experiences.   As we go, I can modify the original post to include ideas and thoughts so it's all at the top of the list. 

I'll start with just a couple:

1.  Stalls suck, but everyone has them.  You will stall at some point, even while you're doing everything right.  The third week is a 'classic' stall that a lot of folks get.  Just remember to keep your protein and fluids high, and your carbs and sodium low.  The stall will eventually break.  They always do. :)

2.  The scale is a tool.  Some people weigh daily, some weekly, and some monthly.  It is not an object to be afraid of -- it's just another tool.  If you find yourself obsessing over the scale and you don't like how that makes you feel, then cut down on how much you're weighing.  Conversely, don't let anyone tell you that weighing daily is 'bad' for you.  Everyone is different--find the frequency that works for you.

I know we've got a bunch of great folks in here with lots of great ideas.  Post what you think is essential to know for VSG newbies, either pre-op or freshly post-op!

Let's make a list!  Good things to know and remember as you start this process.  I'd love to get a comprehensive list going of some common fears and experiences.   As we go, I can modify the original post to include ideas and thoughts so it's all at the top of the list. 

I'll start with just a couple:

1.  Stalls suck, but everyone has them.  You will stall at some point, even while you're doing everything right.  The third week is a 'classic' stall that a lot of folks get.  Just remember to keep your protein and fluids high, and your carbs and sodium low.  The stall will eventually break.  They always do. :)

2.  The scale is a tool.  Some people weigh daily, some weekly, and some monthly.  It is not an object to be afraid of -- it's just another tool.  If you find yourself obsessing over the scale and you don't like how that makes you feel, then cut down on how much you're weighing.  Conversely, don't let anyone tell you that weighing daily is 'bad' for you.  Everyone is different--find the frequency that works for you.

I know we've got a bunch of great folks in here with lots of great ideas.  Post what you think is essential to know for VSG newbies, either pre-op or freshly post-op!

What a great idea! Thank for sharing abou the third week. I am not there yet. And I totally agree about the scales. It should work for us, not against us!

There is no food you won't be physically able to eat again. There are foods you might be best to limit or avoid but don't get into the trap of thinking you can never have X after surgery.

Different doctors impose different "rules". Don't judge others if their way of eating is different from yours. Over time you will be responsible for trying things and developing your own rules for life.

ThinCVT and MaggienScout like this

Oh, and no you probably didn't stretch your sleeve. If you think you have less restriction, see how many ounces of chicken breast or cottage cheese you can eat. It's not as much as you think. Don't fill up on foods that crunch down to nothing.

Two Questions.....Straws ok?  I always thought that was an odd restriction.  I have this water bottle that keeps fluid at the top of the straw and thought that should work.  

Why does Isopure dry my mouth out?

Two Questions.....Straws ok? I always thought that was an odd restriction. I have this water bottle that keeps fluid at the top of the straw and thought that should work.

Use the straw, many here do and it helps them with fluid consumption. Programs often recommend against them due to a fear of taking in air, but actual experience seems to go against this.

GAviv and AB2B like this

Yes you can use a straw.  Majority of us do.  Straws are our friend.

Two Questions.....Straws ok?  I always thought that was an odd restriction.  I have this water bottle that keeps fluid at the top of the straw and thought that should work.  

No idea about the Isopure.  I had the same sensation with it and also found it quite nasty so never bothered with it again.

GAviv likes this

Dees,

I really appreciate your honest when you talked about stalls - I feel like I am in one now and just can't get that scale moving in the right direction.  How did you get through it both mentally and physically?

Edited by Weighting in Washington

This has been a great thread. I am so afraid of stretching my sleeve too soon - popping it. I just had my VSG a week ago today and I am struggling to get in the protein and liquid. I am plugging through. I am so excited to have started a new journey in my life!!!!

Just remember, this is your journey and yours alone. Listen to your doctor, read the forums, but ultimately take all of this info and find what works for YOU. Long term maintenance is by far the hardest part and if you aren't doing things YOUR way, you will not be able to maintain. If I tried to follow everyone else's rules, I would be resentful and give up. (You wouldn't believe the "rules" I DONT follow) But by finding my own way, I am happy and compliant (and easily maintaining below goal).

I'm not saying go out and eat ice cream and potato chips everyday, but if you play it smart you will be successful on YOUR WLS journey. In the end, there is no one way and no ultimate rules.....just the rules you make for yourself. Own it. live it. Love it.

Edited by ThinCVT
AB2B, shar8676 and Jolls like this

No idea about the Isopure.  I had the same sensation with it and also found it quite nasty so never bothered with it again.

Hmmm. That's interesting. I bought one today to try out pre-op (geez they're expensive!) - better to find out now I can't stand it than find out when I'm zonky - thanks for the heads-up. :)

This is a great thread, very important info here. Thank you!

Hmmm. That's interesting. I bought one today to try out pre-op (geez they're expensive!) - better to find out now I can't stand it than find out when I'm zonky - thanks for the heads-up. :)

This is a great thread, very important info here. Thank you!

I actually went and bought the Ispure premade bottles, the flavored ones because I was having such a hard time drinking the protein shakes and these being thinner have been easier to drink for me. Before Surgery it didn't matter, but post-op I am finding them very helpful. I have found it interesting how my texture taste buds have changed toward liquid, I have no idea what that will mean for real food.

Just remember, this is your journey and yours alone. Listen to your doctor, read the forums, but ultimately take all of this info and find what works for YOU. Long term maintenance is by far the hardest part and if you aren't doing things YOUR way, you will not be able to maintain. If I tried to follow everyone else's rules, I would be resentful and give up. (You wouldn't believe the "rules" I DONT follow) But by finding my own way, I am happy and compliant (and easily maintaining below goal).

I'm not saying go out and eat ice cream and potato chips everyday, but if you play it smart you will be successful on YOUR WLS journey. In the end, there is no one way and no ultimate rules.....just the rules you make for yourself. Own it. live it. Love it.

Thank you, this is such great advice!!! 

sbrown921 likes this

I tried the Isopure today. I'd gotten the grape flavor. It was... weird. Not gross or anything, just weird. It tasted like watered down Dimetapp and had a... weird aftertaste.

How do bodybuilders chug this stuff?? :D

Fantastic post!

Thank you all for the wealth of information. Knowing I will be able to drink from a straw has set me free! This is the only way I know to get enough liquids in. I am currently on day two of my liquid diet. Surgery is set for March 2, 2017

Thanks again!

Loved this post! I'm 10 weeks post and I really needed to read this.