Rainvenezia

Want to smoke

I quit smoking after 20 years of the addiction for this surgery.  I am 7 weeks post op and almost 4 months since I quit smoking. 

I want a cigarette

I was shocked how much easier it was to quit then I anticipated.  I quit for the surgery so that helped give me the will power. 

Now that the surgery is over and I am healed and free to eat what I want..... I keep craving cigarettes.

I know the complications that come with smoking, mentally I don't want to smoke. I like feeling healthy and being able to climb 5 flights of stairs without huffing and puffing

How do I avoid this temptation.  Why do I want to smoke again.  Why is getting worse. 

what's the worst that can happen, I get an ulcer ok ill take meds for that. OMG how is it that tobacco is soo much stronger then me. HELP!

It will get better. Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I ever did. 17 years later and I'd still like one (if I think about it), but I don't think about it anymore. I used the patch to quit. There's a good website quitnet.org that might be helpful. 

Did you quit cold turkey? 

Please stay strong.  Not only think about your health think about the $.  I too quite fro surgery - it was required.  Well about 4 months after surgery I started up again!  4 months NOT smoking and I started again - by BIGGEST REGRET - why oh why did I do it!  3 years out and I am still smoking1  YUCK!

I quit gradually, made it easier in my mind.  I had a drag of a fiends cig 2 weeks ago and that's when this all started.  I told my husband about wanting to smoke and he said go for it... what kind of @!#* support is that.  He still smokes and I've been trying to get him to stop for months now.  he just refuses.  he says that when I ask him to quit he ends up smoking more. 

My doctor told me post-op 1 week follow-up that the 2 absolute no no's after surgery are smoking and taking ibuprofen, that both will tear up my stomach and create major problems that are hard and risky for him to fix.  even that isn't scaring me out of smoking. 

I haven't smoked yet, at least haven't gone and bought a pack but im around it all day and its hard not to. 

I quit in June using a vapor smoking thingie. I used yummy flavors like apple and peach with zero nicotine and the 7mg patch. I only needed them for a couple weeks. I take that thing with me any time I'm going somewhere I know id want to smoke. Ive used it to take a couple puffs like when hanging out with smoking friends who ask me to go outside with them while they smoke.

I swear by the vaporous thing. It is zero nicotine and although I am unsure of the health risks...it sure is better in my opinion to take 4-10 puffs on that then a pack of cigerettes every few days.

I haven't used it in many months....but I carry it with me anyway =)

4-10 puffs a year...

I feel you rain that was how I felt, only I ended up smoking again, still do and to help protect my stomach I take prescription prilosec everyday. My surgeon wanted me to wait until I was 6 months out I waited until I was 3 months. Whatever you do just make sure you stay honest with your surgeon.

I started smoking three months out of surgery.  I'm 17 months out now and still smoke.  Honestly, it's the only thing that kept me sane throughout this process.  I gladly gave up everything else for this journey.  I just couldn't give that up.  I will one day, when I'm ready but I'm not there yet and, as we all know, you can't change a habit until you're ready to.

I quit 8 months ago with socialites electric thing. Was amazing got the nicotine with just air and non of the rubbish really helped me stop felt like the real thing. Just cut down and down with different filters. I was a heavy smoker.

You will kick yourself if you start again. Just think how nice it is not to cough all the time and smell of fags and breath. 

This sound silly but I took up Zumba classes and got into and a bit addicted to that. Keeps me focused and wear me out.

You can do this not worth it. :)

P.S all my ciggy money is going towards my new slimmer clothes! 

Edited by Lollypop83

well I did it I am ashamed.  I bummed a cig on Monday at the bar for st patty's.  got a stomachache.  bummed another (red) on Tuesday, got lighted headed and stomachache.  Wed bought a pack of ultra lights to see if I get less light headed, smoked 2 got light headed and stomachache both times.  smoked 1 yesterday.  every day this week I have inhaled tobacco and not because I was craving it but because my mind told me I wanted it and it was ok but I feel sick after.  why do I keep doing it.  I keep telling myself that I will not buy my own and that if I must smoke it will only be once in a while in a social environment..... but here I am about to go on the back porch to let dogs out and thinking of taking a cig with me, wouldn't think bout it if I didn't buy a pack.  I am horrible.  I will NOT become a smoker again. 

My doctor said cigarettes kill you faster than the weight. Just saying....I'm a former smoker, too. Relapsed a bit but realized I did not want to stink, go through nicotine withdrawal, have to leave rooms to have a cigarette, sit through meetings in agony waiting for the time I could smoke again. It's not worth it. It's been years since I have had a cigarette and I would be lying to say I am never tempted--especially when I see someone smoking behind the wheel of her minivan with a big diamond on her hand. LOL But then I remind myself that she smells bad, her car stinks, her clothes stink, she has to leave rooms to have that cigarette, and I feel free. It is wonderful not to have to worry about when I can get the next smoke in. Not to mention the cost. I could go on, but  hey, the bottom line is--cigarettes kill faster than excess weight. 

Here's another consequence you can consider when tempted: weight gain. I started smoking at the ripe old age of 14 and finally kicked the habit "for good" cold turkey when I was 32. I have had maybe 5 cigarettes in the past five years since. I would quit off an on during those 18 years, but decided on my last day of school of my last class for my college degree that I was done and I wanted to actually add to my life, not take away from it. When I was smoking, I lost weight. When I quit, I gained it back and then some. Quitting smoking, at least for me and those that I know, will cause a weight gain almost assuredly. Right now, I'm fighting to lose weight and about to go into the surgery and I don't want to compromise those numbers going down. If you start up and become regular again, there's a chance your weight loss will stall out and likely increase. And this is among the other thoughts on here. From a former smoker to a tempted smoker, I absolutely feel your struggle. I struggle myself nearly every day. I'm fortunate that my husband doesn't and abhors smoking, so that's a plus. But when I'm at work, my friends that I work with do smoke. It's tough. Is there maybe a way you can reward yourself every day you resist? Like maybe a small trinket or (I know it sounds dumb, but) a chart with a weekly goal and prize at the end? I have kids and we did that for my son when he was potty training 9 years ago and are about to start that up again with my almost 2 year old daughter, so I'm sorry for the campy idea. I know it's hard, it really is. But really consider if the short term pleasure is worth the long term consequences.

I'll keep you in my thoughts.

As for the weight gain after quitting smoking,that is why it was great to quit shortly before the surgery. The power of the surgery overwhelmed the power to want to eat caused by the quitting smoking. That way you lose weight and quit smoking!

I still think about smoking just one more real cigarette every now and then. And now pre op ....I have even caught myself thinking .... just x more weeks and I can smoke one more ......and maybe every now and then......only when I'm really stressed........or only when I'm alone ......or maybe just once in awhile while I'm driving......

And then I think... what am I thinking?!? I don't want to ever get short of breath walking from my car into work again! And ugh..... the smell that I smell on smokers now... I don't ever want to smell like that again .....and it is so bad for my heart and lungs.....ughhhh

Ok nope. I'm never smoking again. Not even once. Ill just have to always carry the vaporous thing where ever I go from now on. And commit to choosing the cool fresh taste of yummy mint or peaches or apple vapors over commiting a slow suicide .....

Talk to your doctor. Maybe time for you to try Nicorette? Or maybe change the habits that trigger the desire for a cigarette?

Or those e cigarettes? You can get them with zero nicotine.

Edited by Aviator

ok its official.  3 weeks into trying the first puff and I've gone through 5 packs and im pretty sure its safe to say I have started smoking again.

Have any of you gotten an ulcer from smoking?  I know in increases the risk. I know we can get ulcers wither we smoke or not but by doing so we take a greater risk in complications. 

Truth is I like to smoke always have.  but I can feel the difference.  I get winded easily again and I miss the "clean" feeling when I was exercising 

Hubby still smokes and still wont quit.  I keep saying ill quit when he does and thought it would be easy.  At this point, im thinking it will be harder now because I have no deadline and surgery to make me do it.   

im kicking myself for starting and thinking I could control my intake but I bought a pack and that was it. 

I know I have the will power to quit however hard, I just don't want to.

im scared of the ulcer thing and liked not smelling like smoke and the increased lung capacity.  im torn.   

You've got a monkey on your back controlling you.  You need to choose not to let something outside of yourself control you.  You can take back that control of your own body, you just have to want to badly enough - as with any addiction.  It's about choices.  Every day, every minute.

I'm sad for you.  This really won't help in the long run.  Because WLS won't cure cancer.

ok its official.  3 weeks into trying the first puff and I've gone through 5 packs and im pretty sure its safe to say I have started smoking again.

Have any of you gotten an ulcer from smoking?  I know in increases the risk. I know we can get ulcers wither we smoke or not but by doing so we take a greater risk in complications. 

Truth is I like to smoke always have.  but I can feel the difference.  I get winded easily again and I miss the "clean" feeling when I was exercising 

Hubby still smokes and still wont quit.  I keep saying ill quit when he does and thought it would be easy.  At this point, im thinking it will be harder now because I have no deadline and surgery to make me do it.   

im kicking myself for starting and thinking I could control my intake but I bought a pack and that was it. 

I know I have the will power to quit however hard, I just don't want to.

im scared of the ulcer thing and liked not smelling like smoke and the increased lung capacity.  im torn.

As a former smoker and someone with 16 years on you, let me tell you what's coming....one day you'll wake up and that slight shortness of breath will have turned into a vise around your chest.    Walking 10 feet will leave you short of breath and panting, and forget stairs.   If you are forced to do stairs, your breathing will embaress you if there are people around.   Walking across a parking lot will require you to sit and rest before you enter the building.   Sometimes laying flat in bed will make you feel like you are smothering.   

Stop now again before it's too late.   If you have to smoke something, at least try a vaporizer so you aren't getting the rest of the junk with a cigarette.    I was unconcerned for many years because I didn't have any health effects from cigarettes...but when they came they came hard.   At your age you can feel confidant you probably haven't done any long term permanent damage.   I'm not nearly as confidant with myself.   I still get winded very easily....I'm just praying it's all this weight I'm carrying around.  

Chantix worked wonderfully for me...maybe you can try that for a few months.  Good luck, and I really hope you find the strength to quit again, or at least move over to vaporizers or ecigs. 

Let me say that every day I want to smoke....I could smoke a cigarette a mile long.   Know that the craving only lasts for 5 minutes, so if you can busy yourself it will pass.  

Edited by princessblog

There's just no tactful or nice way to say this--not a good idea. I liked smoking, too. I quit first when I was pregnant, sneaked some, and then quit again. It's not easy. But good golly, you chose to rearrange your guts in order to lose weight, presumably not just for looks but also for health. And now you are choosing to do the one thing guaranteed worse for us healthwise than obesity--smoke. Let me play mom--if your husband jumped off the bridge, would you? Be afraid of ulcers. Be afraid of cancer. Be afraid of all the stink. Be afraid of emphysema. Be very afraid. And quit. You say you have the will power. Then do it. (Said out with respect and with the knowledge that you would not have posted this confession if you did not want push back. I know you didn't expect support!)

hubby out of town, lets see if I can kick this habit once again before he gets back and before it gets bad. 

taking meds may not actually help totally with the ulcers. You can still get one on your incision line. My doctor tells me a story of a lady who smoked and had to have emergency surgery after she got one. It almost cost her her life. I don't know how much you smoke but I smoke 3 cigs a day. My doctor

bitches me out for my whole appt. time. I do take omeperozole every day. I prob wont quit my 3 cigs a day.

hubby out of town, lets see if I can kick this habit once again before he gets back and before it gets bad. 

You can do it! You can! I'm rooting for you.

How's the habit-kicking going? It's really, really tough, but you can do it! If you can get over the cravings hump and get on the other side, it is so worth it. Good luck!

You should see if you're doctor can give you chantix. My husband and I quit Feb 16th 2013, and on our year anniversary this year- it was so wonderful of a feeling. I won't tell you everything everyone else has said to you. I would not keep going down that path though, if you can't get ahold of Chantix, try one of the vapor ones. Maybe it is a oral thing you are trying to get fixed in your mind. Some people smoke because they like something in their mouths. I wish you luck.

I quit smoking November 3rd 2012. I switched to an ecig and then slowly worked my way off nicotine. I eventually quit using the ecig. I'm now 3 weeks post op and it's obvious to me smoking is my addiction transfer. The cravings to smoke beat me and I am back on an ecig. Albeit an ecig without nicotine.

I wish you the best in quitting.

Edited by ready4ahealthynewme