happy78

Achalasia - Heading Toward RNY for a revision from lap band

I am so irritated. I had the lap band put in place in 2008. It wouldn't work - I kept getting terrible esophogeal spasms, terrible acid reflux, etc. My original surgeon is in a different state. My new surgeon kept copious notes and sent me to a gastro doctor to do a test for Achalasia. He can't do a revision if I have achalasia. So I learned I am ''borderline" with Achalasia - which means I cannot have the vertical sleeve for some reason. The only reason he is willing to proceed with a revision to RNY is because the back or bottom of my esophogaus closes and opens correctly. The only real risk is I might have acid reflux issues but he said with my stomach being so small, it likely won't be that bad and I can take an antacid.

I am mad because my original doctor should have been thorough and not placed the lap band before making sure I was okay! The barium swallow would have shown that my esophogaus spasms terribly, and he didn't do anything about it! He placed the band, which made the condition worse! It has been pure hell!

I have no real point to my post other than be your own advocate and really research your surgeons. My original surgeon I believe just wanted to jump on the band wagon (it was 2008 where there were ads all over the tv for it) to make money. I don't think he did my pre-op examination well at all. My new doctor almost is too much in the other direction, but I am happy he is because I think it shows he is very careful and will not operate unless he has ruled out all problems.

So I now have to start the insurance process for a revision. I am really upset. I feel like I wasted time and money with the band. I worked SO hard with the band, to no avail. I feel like I wasted the last five years. Anyway, right now I am exercising and eating healthy to see if I can get this weight off on my own, but am also going through the insurance process because the weight is just not coming off very well.

I also wanted to see - has anyone else had Achalasia?

You might want to do a search, upper right hand corner. Sorry you have had such a tough time. Welcome!

I don't have much to add, but just wanted to welcome you and wish you good luck on your journey to whatever happens.  I'm sorry it's been a rough road, and I hope things get better for you.  Hang in there.  Big hugs!

You definitely have the right attitude on ruling out all of the other issues first I did that as well before contemplating a revision.  You hear so much on that lap band how it slips and causes damages to the esophagus.  I am glad you are not experiencing those sorts of problems.  I did not revise until 10 years after and it my original RNY was modified (no pouch changes).  My guts are of like a DS person with the pouch of a RNY.  I just needed more malaborbing to be successful.  Originally I did very well and then after 5 years started to progressively gaining weight which seems to be the trend.  I have learned no carbs of any kind to make that scale move and to feel good.  I do notice changes since revising as to how my body responds to certain foods and some of them basically tell me CROSS that one off the list.  :)  Welcome!